Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-22-2013, 3:10 PM Reply   
There's been some discussion of speed indication.... Whats your preferred method of speed reading.. Either in a lake or a river with a current..

For me:

Pitot.... Antique.... impossible to calibrate and keep calibrated
Paddle Wheel.... fluctuates and erroneous turn indications..
GPS.... Perfeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect..
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-22-2013, 3:14 PM Reply   
For me if you ride in a river with current or the sea with tide then paddle wheel, If you are in a lake then GPS
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-22-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
Pitot tube and no cruise control!
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-22-2013, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have PP Stargazer and converted my Pitot system to GPS as well. GPS is way better than those damn pitot tubes...plus I eliminated any chance of the pitot system failing and sucking water into the expensive to replace MDC.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-22-2013, 8:22 PM Reply   
How did you convert your Pitot system to GPS?
Mine is StarGazer also.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-23-2013, 2:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
How did you convert your Pitot system to GPS?
Mine is StarGazer also.
Installed a Nautic Laugic NL2.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-23-2013, 6:21 AM Reply   
Yep.. I converted mine to stargazer and after getting the CRS and KDW dialed in... I couldn't live without it... (CR,CS, and NN are not used on stargazer)... Can't believe I hear some guys prefer the old pitot speedo's... Mine is locked on within 2/10 of a mph at surf, wakeboard and ski speeds..

I'm hearing PP has a new software pack coming out for the Stargazer that will sense direction, current flow, and drift.. So if your on a river with current, no more manual compensation..

Last edited by Pad1Tai; 09-23-2013 at 6:23 AM.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2013, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
Yep.. I converted mine to stargazer and after getting the CRS and KDW dialed in... I couldn't live without it... (CR,CS, and NN are not used on stargazer)... Can't believe I hear some guys prefer the old pitot speedo's... Mine is locked on within 2/10 of a mph at surf, wakeboard and ski speeds..

I'm hearing PP has a new software pack coming out for the Stargazer that will sense direction, current flow, and drift.. So if your on a river with current, no more manual compensation..
Who actually prefers pitot? Personally, I live with what I have and won't likely change soon, but that doesn't make that much of a difference. Its also bizarre how you get a perfect pass owner out on a boat without and they can't handle driving multi-tasking of monitoring speed, driving straight etc. Its a lost art
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       09-23-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
I agree it's becoming a lost art... Kinda like giving out correct change without a computer cash register telling them...

When my PP was out.. I had a hard time keeping it within 1 mph..

It was tough.... but then again, I never go back to CD's for music either.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-23-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
Paddlewheel, failing that I'll take a quality pitot that resists clogging and a good Airguide speedo. I ride a tidal river with constantly changing current typically from 0-7 MPH either direction. GPS simply does not work for this if you want consistent speed. I also like that my paddlewheel has a temp sensor so I know exactly how unpleasantly frigid the water will feel before I jump in.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad1Tai View Post
I agree it's becoming a lost art... Kinda like giving out correct change without a computer cash register telling them...

When my PP was out.. I had a hard time keeping it within 1 mph..

It was tough.... but then again, I never go back to CD's for music either.
It also depends on the speedo. Unless you have a large face gauge like the air guides, keeping the needle locked on and seeing if move can be tough. I do agree V-drives are tough, especially weighted - its more than possible though.

My nickname was perfect pass when my buddy had his 2000 superair. No perfect pass and I was responsible for driving off the digital gauge. Nearly impossible to tell when it was going to give you an up or down arrow. You become keen at hearing the engine.

The other part that kills me with people and perfect pass is your perception of speed, listening to the engine, boat, water, all goes out the window. People go to drive a double up with perfect pass and they can't handle throttling the boat - dummazzes
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-23-2013, 10:08 AM Reply   
I'll second watching rpm listening to the engine and using my eyes on the wake to judge speed. finger tip and thumb on the throttle for small adjustments. Never had a pitot work for very long. Paddle wheel in my new to me boat is nice, seems to be better than pitot but still surges from time to time.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
Lost art it probably true. I'm going to turn off the nanny control and drive a set without speed control to see how far I have fallen.

I went from 2 speedos to paddle wheel to stargazer. With stargazers improved gauge I eliminated the second speedo and filled with with the larger Alpine stereo remote. Much better than my old stock setup. Stargazer is the only choice for those with limited current to compensate for.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I'll second watching rpm listening to the engine and using my eyes on the wake to judge speed. finger tip and thumb on the throttle for small adjustments. Never had a pitot work for very long. Paddle wheel in my new to me boat is nice, seems to be better than pitot but still surges from time to time.
Our pitot system is 14 years old... what is not work for very long??? With the advent of GPS and apps on your smart phone its way too easy to check calibration.

I've only had hoses come off the pressure tubes and every now and again I need to dig wood pulp out of the pickups - these are like once a season issues if that...