Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-19-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Just wanted to see what all the riders think is going to be bigger for the wakeboard industry. The CWB hinge tech or the Hyperlite/Liquid Force closed toe bindings. Lets hear it!!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-19-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
I have had the oppurtynity to ride the hinge tech and it really is the most comfortable bindings i have ever ridden iut really locks your heal in but i have never cramped up in them. Definately look into trying a pairof zeuss or torq's
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-19-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I'll save closed toe boots for my snowboard. The hingetechs are sweet and super easy to get in and out of.
Old    walt            10-19-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
If the CWB's lock your heel in that tight what the hell is going to happen when you take a bad fall ?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
The Hinge Tech is going to be huge this year. You really need to think about the fact that the Torq has the Hinge and comes in under $200. That is the price range for the majority of boots sold. People will walk by at the shows/shops & I guarantee you they will see the function and its game over. I predict the Torq is the best selling boot this year.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Is CWB historically lower priced than HL and LF.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-19-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
Walt, when you take a hard fall they release (open) so you will come out. They been using this system on snowboard bindings for years, and has worked really well.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-19-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
Not dramaticly lower but much more bang for the buck flame=04 absolute with Tourqs $400 not to shaby.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-19-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Erik, that is so true. What a deal on 06 flame (witch is a 04 absolute board) and 06 torq hinge tech for 399.99 IMO thats hard to beat. Plus the new flame graphics are sick.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-19-2005, 3:07 PM Reply   
Are there huge differences between the 04 and 06. Should I pay the extra money for the 06 Absolute or will the 06 flame give me a similar ride. Yeah 400 complete sound sweet to me.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-19-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
CWB.....
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-19-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
The 06 flame will give you a similar ride to the 06 Absolute, they made changes since 04 to imporve the board, but its simular, it just depends on how much you want to spend. The 06 absolute is as much for the board as the flame pkg/wth Torq binding.
Old     (whirlynuke02)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-19-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
if the closed toes are comfy (which the shane definitely looks like) id say them because all the hinge tech does is make it easier to get in you bindings
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
Kevin, I tried some on and was kinda wondering if you come out of the Zeus when they are locked down. The size I tried on were a size to big but I still felt that my heal was locked down. So will you come out if they are locked down?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-19-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
Jeff, having ridden the Absolute since '04 I can in fact say that they are very different shapes. I rode the '04 with small center fins and while I liked the shape a lot it was like a whole new ride when I got on the '05. The newer shape has a lot more pop and is best ridden finless. To say it comes down to only how much $ you wanna spend is false. It does make an attractive arguement at that sick price though.

Squid, you will come out. I believe they are designed to stay closed no matter how hard the fall is. The falls are just like any other boot, you fall hard enough & you will come out. I'm sorry Jeff I don't believe they are supposed to release no matter how hard the fall.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-19-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
I would agree that the 03-04 absolute and 05-06 Absolutes are very different shapes. They both share the same qualities though. I still can't say I like one shape better than the other. I love the 05 and 06. But I'm still digging my 04 too. I would actually love to get my hands on the original 03 Platinum 140 I had.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-19-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
Squid as soon as you ride them you will kind of understand but i never felt like i was too locked in and i did come out of them in a hard fall, it was not painful. Also most people that see them are skeptrical of the hinge opening while riding but i have gone fairly big and landed in the flats and they have not opened. Overall they are just a great binding. Also they are a very high end binding and are easy to get into and for me with size 13's thats important to me
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-19-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
Kevin thanks for the info. Are you using the Zeus or the Fuses both look like killer bindings.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Big Heavy, Iam not saying they are the exact board, cause they are not. What Iam saying is they are simular in some ways. I was just trying to make the point on how good of a deal the 06 flame/w 06 hinge tech torqs is, I love the 04 Absolute shape it is a great board.
As far as the hinge tech goes. They are designed to release under a real hard fall. ( straight from CWB to me) and some of their riders as well. the hinge tech binding has been in the snowboard industry for years, its not somthing new, just new to wakeboarding. You can also adjust how hard they lock you in with the adjustment they have on the bindings. I guess you will see when you get to check them out.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-20-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Jeff, I ride for CWB & I have ridden them. I never saw the hinge come undone. Like Kevin said above, you release out of them but the hinge stays locked. Of course they are designed to release, the Hinge is designed for ease of entry/exit and to really pull your heel in tight. No company will ever build a boot designed to not release (except CD) as that is no bueno. And no company will design a boot to release after a certain amount of pressure, what happens when the other foot doesn't get this pressure? One foot out, one foot in = disaster. The Hinge tech is not something new that is true, but snowboard bindings do it differently and they are designed to not release the hold on your boot. Similar concept, different design and function. Just got my Platy yesterday, looking forward to that. I wish my Fuse's would get here!!

(Message edited by stephan on October 20, 2005)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
Big Heavy, Ya thats good to hear I have been sellin and ridin CWB for years. Thats not what they are tellin the dealers. They are makin it clear that under a hard fall they will unlock(open) to release youre foot. Not arguin with you at all just tellin you what they are tellin the dealers. They also have an adjustment on them for how tight you want them to lock in, did you get to try that adjustment out? I mean you got to ride them right? Did you get to ride the Fuse? I hear that is a sick binding as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-20-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Hmm I certainly didn't see that happening. Was it in the brochure, I don't recall it being mentioned in there. My rep certainly hasn't said that happens. Anyways...ocer it. I love the Fuse, I like a little more flexibility & they certainly have it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-20-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Could the adjustment thingy be intended to tighten the tension on the cable when it begins to stretch like on the FLOW SB bindings? I'm had my foot i the Zeus, but haven't ridden it yet.

I didn't hear anything about the lever opening either. I don't see how it could, or why it should. That sounds like greater liability to me. If that thing opened on a hard landing, you
could be out for a while.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-20-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Heavy, When I tried them both on, the Zeus allowed a lot more movement than the Fuse. Possible that the early production models were changed but, that was my experience. The Fuse are the stiffest CWB binding I have tried.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Its not just the hinge there are also laces on the front, that will slack up like almost every other boot on the market in a hard fall. The hinge wont give but the laces will.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
J-Rod, yes the adjustment on the bindings that iam talkin about is for the tension on the cable. Its a little round adj at the end of the cable at the front where it attaches to the base, you can turn it to Adj the tension. Erik ya we know about the lace system on the binding. Big Heavy When the CWB Rep talked about the binding releasing ( opening) it was only on a REAL HARD wipeouts that they release (open), other than that you come out from a fall like normal bindings. From what I understand it will never open on hard landings out in the flats just bad wipeouts.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was wrong on the CWB hinge tech. They where not designed to release(open) on any fall and all the riders who have been lucky enough to ride them have never had them open on any fall. They are designed to work just like all bindings, and you will come out just the same. My bad.
Old    veganx            10-20-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
I think Hyp's neoprene sock and LF's liquid liner are going to be a bigger deal than the hinge or closed toe. They are a big jump forward in fit and comfort.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-20-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
Cool Jeff, it takes a man to say that. So many peeps on here will defend their incorrect info to the grave. It sounds like you are as stoked on the product as I, keep reppin!!

I think last year the biggest improvement was by far the Parks Medallion, I know so many people who saved their ankles with that stroke of brilliance. I hope to god they make it detachable so you can wear it around your neck this year, we could all be as cool as Parks then.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-21-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Big Heavy, ya I am as stoked as I have ever been with the 06 lineup for CWB. IMO CWB is going to kill it in 06. Thanks man. When youre wrong, youre wrong, I was totally wrong. Just wanted to clear it up.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-21-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
I rode the new Zeus bindings yesterday and I LOVE THEM!!!! As far as the hinge--it works great--locks my heel down well, is very easy to get into. I took a hard fall on a switch three and came out of the bindings just fine.
Old    chavezychavez            10-24-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
Few things for clarification which were relayed to me from the engineers at CWB (it should be noted that Stephan is spot on):

quote:

-The Hinge bindings are designed and have been tested to function like a regular binding while riding and in a fall.

-They are not designed to open in any type of fall, they are designed to function like regular bindings.

-The adjustment mechanisms on the cables are there to compensate for any stretch or break in that occurs during normal use. They are not there to adjust the tightness of the heel to a riders liking. This can be achieved to some degree but I do not recommend it because most people will just end up messing things up.

-The benefits of the Hinge system are ease of entry and exit. A by-product of the Hinge is the levers can be released while in the water waiting for the boat to ease the normal pressure on the foot because of a snug binding.

This info is VERBATIM (cut and paste) what I received from CWB.

Carry on.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-24-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
J-rod I still have an 03 platnium hanging in the garage.

I agree that the 05 is very diffrent ride than the 03, never rode the 04 but right now I don't see a reason to go to the 06, but will have an 06 marius with hing-tech zues comming in soon.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
Gary,

Are you willing to part with it? Name your price. Wanna trade for an 04?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2005, 9:49 PM Reply   
J-rod I have also seen some 03 platniums on e-bay for a good price.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
I haven't seen any 03s in a while
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-24-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
J-rod yes your right I just looked it is a 134. But just last week I was looking and there were alot more on there. I will keep my eyes out for ya. Did you break yours or are you just looking for a back up.