Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (hobdog)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
I was wanting to get some first hand experience from some of you who either have, or have heard any on the addiction series speakers for the tower. I have not been a big fan of tower speaker in the past, due to them being really load in the rear of the boat, and not really accomplishing the task of letting the rider rock out while riding. I used to own the boss 530, and even know I got them sounding great, they just did not have the range to hear behind the boat. All I really care about as far as tower speakers go is to be able to get my groove on while riding. Does anyone have actuall experince while riding with these speakers, and can just one pair do the job. I have the illusion x tower so I really only want to use on pair.
Old    supertahoe27            06-03-2005, 9:26 PM Reply   
Jason-
I have heard the nvs tower speakers and they sound okay, maybe they just didnt have enough power to them. But going off of there reputation I know that they are good. If you want to just use one pair I recommend the Skylon Defcon IV speakers. They sound incredible and you only need one pair. Hopefully that helps a little.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2005, 9:42 PM Reply   
okay ??? the dude running them must have had them WAY underpowered.

Jason ~ if you want music for the rider (and everyone else on the lake ) get the NVS. I have only heaed the 808's and the 1010's. I have also heard the Defcon IV's. I think the defcon sound beter around the boat, but as you stated, you want music for the rider.

either way you will be happy.
Old     (hobdog)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
Here is a question. I just looked at the skylon defcon IV's for the illusion, and they said a pair is 1,500.00 and they showed two cans one one side of the tower. Is a pair just two cans or is it like the pic and a pair actually means a set of four speakers?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2005, 10:00 PM Reply   
Jason ~ the Defcons VI will be 2 drivers and two horns so there would be 4 cans. The Addictions are a horn mounted to the back of a driver so you can get as many as you want. In your case it would be two.
Old     (hobdog)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-03-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for the info. I sure like the looks of the defcons a whole lot better. I also like how they mount on the tower, more off to the side than the mouning system of the nvs speakers. The only down fall is, I have heard the defcons are all on back order right now, is this true?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-03-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
Jason first off update you profile. Pro Audio will sound good to the rider but like crap at the boat. You can build your own system like I did and have the best of both worlds. You riding this weekend?
Old    hyperryd            06-03-2005, 11:01 PM Reply   
Phaeton, you need to update the the tow vehicle in your profile.
Old    grud8            06-03-2005, 11:50 PM Reply   
Jason-

I have a pair of Addictions and they are absolutely incredible. Super clear when you are riding and I didn't even have them turned all the way up. I can't even imagine what it sounds like with two pair. I bought them with the Zapco amp for what you will pay for the Skylons. By the time you finish buying an amp big enought to push the Skylons you are going to wish you had the Addictions. Not to mention Duane with NVS is the most accomodating person I have ever worked with. If I can talk my wife into it I am going to buy another pair.
Old    mia            06-04-2005, 1:08 AM Reply   
there is a big, big, big difference between the addiction and the defcon iv,v

they are 2 totally different designs and it is really hard to do direct comparison ...( coaxial vs. surface horn & 1-2 8" drivers)....

just as a heads up the skylon defcons are super inefficent, because of the 2 ohm load they require 2 times the wattage...plan on super premium top quality amps ( ck series zapco, tru, etc..)

as far as the construction... i would suggest checking out both in person...the nvs are beautiful and very, very solid...they have a hand made craftsman look and feel. the defcons have a quicker release mounting bracket and a bit more bling on the fascia but they have mass production look/finish - though i have not seen it in the standard black finish..(this is my opinion/observation so take it with a grain of salt)

good luck !!!
Old    d_anderson            06-04-2005, 6:51 AM Reply   
can anyone say dimond audio? fusion's
Old     (hobdog)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
Hey phaeton, I have not seen you for a while. My profile was pretty funny, I guess it had been a while since it crossed my mind. I am headed out to prineville this morning to meet kurt, he is staying at the state park. I am boatless right now. I sold my 04 vlx about a month ago, and I sould be picking up my 05 lsv next weekend. If you are going out today, I would love to hop aboard to check out your system, and see what you have done with it. If you are out there, I will have the walkie talkie on channel 5
Old     (hobdog)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
Phaeton, now you have my intrest. I was planning on buying one of the two speakers, the nvs or the defcons. If I can build just as good of a set up, or better for the same price, that would be great. Are there components with the same technology that you are using in you system? By this I mean the horned tweeters. I don't know that much about stereo stuff, but it seems that this is the way tower speakers are heading. I am going to be having sounds on wheels working on my system, I am pretty good friends with dave down there, so he hooks me up with good deals. I know you go to audio works for your system, and for all I know they may be more knowledgeable, but I have to stick with the bro deal. Dave has told me to take care of the tower speakers myself, so I am trying to come up with the best option. I really will consider not even doing them if I have to put a ton of effort into something that I can't hardly hear behind the boat. Let me know what you think or suggest.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-04-2005, 9:59 PM Reply   
Jason let's talk email me at

WakeMe@Bendcable.com

(Message edited by phaeton on June 04, 2005)
Old    grud8            06-05-2005, 12:01 AM Reply   
Jason- Why re-invent the wheel? The NVS are unreal. If you are located in Nor-Cal let's hook up and you can hear them.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-05-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have the addictions and they are great. I send 500 watts to each can, and the sound is great.
Old    w0rm            06-05-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
Why no mention of the Evid 6.2? I'm thinking of picking up a pair for my tower...