Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cdanative)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-08-2015, 8:01 PM Reply   
I bought a 98 V210 and can't find a tight cover that will fit its Phat Tower. So I'm thinking of getting a Exact Fit cover and having it altered locally to fit the tower. The alteration will just have four simple velcro flaps that open up to allow the tower posts to protrude through.

The only thing I can't figure out is an elegant way to re-attach the draw cord. Maybe four hooks that you disconnect that will still slide in the draw cord pocket (hem). Ideas for flush connectors, kind of like bullet connectors, that can be swaged (etc) to the 1/4" cord so that they will slide into the pocket without binding. IOW I can't have knots.

Also, has anyone ran across actual tests (vs empirical evidence) that shows the difference between longevity and toughness of these fabrics:

9 oz Sunbrella
6.5 oz polyester (Sharkskin Plus)
8 oz polyester (Performance Poly Guard)

Also, recommendations for exact fit covers other than Westland or Carver?

One more thing- pros and cons of getting a cover that goes over the swimdeck?

Last edited by cdanative; 07-08-2015 at 8:05 PM. Reason: added question
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-09-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
I actually just ordered a new cover for my older 23 LSV and had some of these same questions. Apparently Westland takes the exact OEM cover design and replicates it. Carver has their own design which for me seems better because it actually has a collar that comes up a little to cinch around the tower. My original cover with the pole up just channeled water, dust, and leaves straight down into the boat because it hit the tower and fell towards the inside of the boat.
I found a couple of other "custom" cover companies but don't really trust any generic picture online. Neither Carver or Westland has actual pictures of the exact cover you are purchasing which sucks because you cannot return the damn thing. Carver does have random pictures of different boats with their covers and might show your specific model.

I actually just rolled the dice and went with a Carver cover that covers the platform in Sunbrella. Not sure if the longevity or breath-ability it is worth the price difference but we will find out soon enough. (fingers crossed)

I also got the ventpole option, which apparently you have to punch the hole in the fabric yourself. Has anyone installed these? Is there potential for further tearing in the cover when stretched to let the water run off to the sides?

I would love to hear others input also.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-09-2015, 8:45 AM Reply   
BTW, quotes I got to custom fit the boat locally were 20 to 30 percent more than what I paid so decided to go with the Carver.
Old     (cdanative)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-09-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
On my current boat I stretched a rope from the back to the middle to the front and it acted as a watershed for the tarp. Worked great.

Still interested in hearing from folks on the different fabric options and whether covering the swimdeck is worth it? Might just be easier to apply a good coat of Danish Oil to the Teak a few times a year (really should do this anyway).