Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       06-17-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I searched the boards here and have noticed people have been using these to re-charge batteries on their hoists, but has anyone used on on their boat?
I am thinking of the days at the sandbar, turn the music up and bring your cooler to shore. I have a Perko, but, does anyone know if a solar panel would keep the battery charged more to keep the stereo and amps running a little longer?

if you have installed one - have you found any fairly small ones? I was thinking of mounting two on the boat. One on each side of the boat, just in front of the windshield -just behind the base of the tower.

Here are examples:
http://www.sunforceproducts.com/english/results.asp?catid=3
http://www.ase-supply.com/product_p/pt-735x302.htm
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-17-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
they would not help if you were trying to keep your battery charged while listening to the stereo. They only produce an output of 2 watts.
your stereo draws way more. It would be good to maintain a battery.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I've thought about setting something like this up on the boat for when it's moored & not in use. Probably would just lay it on the bimini with the cords running under the cover. Seems like it would be a bit of a PITA to setup but might increase the battery life.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have been looking for one of these myself. I just need it to keep the battery topped off between uses and makeup for the daily drain of things like the clock(s), XM tuner, etc.

What do you think 5 watter or the 2 watt version?

I'm thinking 2 watts should be more than plenty, but more is better.

These things work well with Optima's right?
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
I have one that I used on my last boat. Bill's thoughts are really the best use of the product as you will not notice anything if its plugged in during stereo use.

Bill its actually super easy to hook up. They come with a bunch of different battery connectors such as a ciggerette plug, alligator clips or wires for direct battery connect. I had mine connected to the battery all the time. When I put the boat away I pulled the cord out from under the seat and out from under the cover. Just let it lay on top of my mooring cover and it worked great.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-18-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
Harbor Freight has a 5W panel on sale for $40 right now.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-18-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
...or a 15W for $80. A couple of those might actually slow the drain from a stereo noticeably, unless you were really cranking it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96418
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
Nice. Guess I have a trip to HF in my future.

So is there any need for some kind of protection against over charging the batteries when using a solar panel? And how should a direct connect be setup on two batteries?

Thanks
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-18-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think they do sell as an extra part that prevents overcharging. I never worried about it, because I used my boat a couple times during the week.

I have the Sunsei model its roughly 14x14 I paid $89 at West Marine, Probably better deals elsewhere.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have a 3 watt. I keep it plugged in so I dont have to worry about the bilge pump running while the boat is moored for weeks on end. Damn boat always leaks.