Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
ok i thought i would have no problem selling my boat, and apparently i was wrong. i need to sell my boat in the worst way possible!!!! i think the price is more than fair but maybe im way off. any advice?

here are the details.
2005 moomba mobius XLV
210 hours
2600# built in ballast
2006 perfect pass
4 fusion tower speaker with MTX amp
12" alpine type r sub with JBL amp
wakeplate
board racks
surfboard rack
stainless rubrail
tandem trailer
bimini top
harmon/kardon drive play ipod controller
green led lighting throughout interior

im asking $40,950 or $39,950 without 2 tower speaker, sub or surf rack

i really dont get it?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-06-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I would ditch the clothing stickers and order the updated graphics from Moomba. Just because you like it that way doesn't mean others do.
Just a thought.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
yeah i already took off the entrust clothing stickers and have the new 07 moomba graphics ordered
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
If it was april you may get 40k. If you want to sell a boat you must be willing to give a great price at this point of summer. It is a good looking boat but I would say you need to be in the 36k range to send it quickly this time of year. I say this because I have seen some very good deals on 07's so the buyer must justify giving up warranty and a new boat.

(Message edited by supra24ssv on August 06, 2007)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
ive been trying to sell it since june! i figured at $40K it would fly out in june. ive seen some sell for in the $38 range but they had smaller ballast, no PP or stereo so i figured $40K was fair for it? to get an 07 with everything my has would be over $50K right now, if i don't get anything in the next week im gonna strip it bare and drop the price.
Old    bocephus            08-06-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
$50K for a Mobius? Hell I bought my 210 for less than that!

Where do you have it advertised? Where do you have it stored when not in use? Have you tried to put it on consignment with your dealer?

(Message edited by bocephus on August 06, 2007)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
thats what they sell for here, you can't really compare a 210 to a xlv, they are different boats, i love the 210 but there are things abotu xlv that are different and somethings that are better and more appealing to many people
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       08-06-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
IMO people have two options

1. New boat for a little more without PP, upgraded ballast & stereo. (stuff that can be added to thier new boat later)

2. Your boat with the upgrades. Some people can appreciate the value of the things that are done to your XLV.

I hard a hard time selling my last house in a buyers market. Although I had an additional 15K in landscaping and sprinklers etc. there were new houses on my street selling for the same price without any landscaping. For some people new with fewer options gives them a better feeling about the purchase.
Old    bocephus            08-06-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Where do you have it advertised? Where do you have it stored when not in use? Have you tried to put it on consignment with your dealer?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-06-2007, 10:23 AM Reply   
NADA

Trade in

Average Retail

High Retail

It all is in that hands of the purchaser. Maybe you can find someone who things the aftermarket parts are worth 8k?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
craigslist, boat trader, wakeworld

its store in my garage during the winter, the summer i use it 3-5 times a week so it sits in my driveway. i work for a moomba dealer so i may just put it outside this week
Old    bocephus            08-06-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Alan sounds like he's got it figured out (He is a dealer too if I'm not mistaken...).
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-06-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
29-33K with trailer on NADA. NADA might not be accurate, but few people want to pay MORE than it. You can add a couple thousand for options, but not nearly as much as you paid for them. U need to get those graphics on there, cause it really is an unattractive plain white boat to me, and probably a lot of people.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-06-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
In my experience, cars, boats, Motorcycles. The aftermarket stuff doesn't hold much value. Reality is there is nothing extraodinary about the boat so high retail won't happen. More likely start at the average retail price and go from there. Just my 2 cents, good luck
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
price also depends on where you live, used xlvs go for $36-38k here with no options so i figure my options were worth $2-4k but its looking like they aren't
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-06-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
if you work for the dealer why not trade it and let them deal with it....the tax savings of the trade may make it worth it, plus nto having to hassle with selling it.,
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
i maybe trading it in, but i owe more on the boat than they will give me on a trade in :-(
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
One comment in my opinion is I hate when people advertise two prices. Ex-with speakers, with or without rims. My opinion make it one price for everything make sure to throw in some life vest and ropes etc.
I would start with the 39.5 price but in reality its a little high still.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-06-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
That boat will sell for 35-36K on a good day. $50K for a Moomba are you serious? I had no idea they were going that high.

Good luck with the sale.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
50k for a moomba is crazy as they are supposed to be the little brother or sister to Supra. I bought my new 07 X2 with options for 55k. I also looked at Supra and they quoted me the highest fully loaded version for around 50k - 52k.

(Message edited by waterfreak on August 06, 2007)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-06-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
waterf reak, just curious what model supra was that??? Fully loaded 22SSV sticker's in the mid to low 60's.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
the 20 ssv. Same size as the X2. Also the 21v was similarly priced as well. A sidenote.... a friend was looking at the 20 ssv recently and they want to get rid of the 07 models and got quoted around 45k (actual MSRP) out the door.

Also the MSRP on the 22ssv is 51995.00
http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/getcompany.asp?companyid=43

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
you can't really compare a 20' supra to a 23' moomba, of course a 23' boat is more
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-06-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
CAUSE ITS A MOOMBA
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
MSRP on a new 2007 XLV is 42595.00

Your model when bought MSRP was 37995.00 for 2005.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/getcompany.asp?companyid=39

Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
yes thats what msrp is but you never find them for that, that is with nothing, all the ones we have are $47-$50K
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Most of the boats I looked at where very close to MSRP. Usually they were a couple thousand more depending on options. Those boats being Malibu, Correct Craft, Mastercraft, and Supra. Those are all 2007 MSRP's I am talking about.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-06-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
"i maybe trading it in, but i owe more on the boat than they will give me on a trade in"

Unfortunately, this is a danger of financing a new boat and then trying to sell it a year or so after. The value on a slightly used boat can drop faster than the principle owed. At least you got a lot of use out of it it sounds like. The people who finance a new boat and then use it a handful of times a year get mowed. For the $/hour of usage they could rent a tricked out X-80 for cheaper. Heck for that amount of implied money I will take em for the day on mine and they dont have to do a thing. ;-) Sidetracking...

The best option is to try to sell it to a third party, but as you are finding out the market isn't real liquid. Have you tried the Moomba owner's site (if there is one?) Unfortunately, being a "value" brand it isn't as likely to have a big following. Maybe the Supra owner's site may draw up a lead?
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Your original question was, "why is it not selling", the answer from a person who has bought and sold many supra'a and moomba's and everyone else on here is the price is to high. If you drop the price and delete options you will not help yourself, leave the options and test the water at 36. You will start getting calls.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
well if i can only get $36K for it as is then im better off trading it in or keeping it.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-06-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
I was going to say 35500.00 I bet you will get interest at this price.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-06-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
I would keep it. it is a great looking boat, and it sounds like you get plenty of use from it. I dont see any point in trading in boats year after year if you are happy with what you currently have. (not saying you are doing this)
if you are desperate to sell it, drop the price, and see what happens.
it really is a great looking boat. it just sounds like it is a bit overpriced.
but I would not put the new logo on it just yet. let the new potential buyer make that decision. I love the all white!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
i owe $38500 so im not about to sell it for $36K i might as well keep it. but im gonna put them moomba graphics up on it and try one more time at $39k and if nothing then ill keep it or trade it in
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-06-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
Try adding some extra stuff, a lot of people looking for a boat are not necessarily just wakeboarders, find some cheap tubes, old wakeboards, some kids stuff, extra life jackets, load it up, sure you might spend a few hundred on that stuff, but when someone see’s a boat like that for sale and it comes with all that, then they don’t have to worry about buying the extras, they can just turn the key and go,

The suck part is selling something for 40k will take sometime, compared to selling something for 10k, Patience is a must, it will be that one person looking and will be your only call that buys it.

Try the giant ad in the boat trader, if you really want exposure place it on the cover of boat trader, It took me 5 months to sell my muscle car and 300.00 advertising, until that one guy saw it and just had to have it…..
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-06-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
entrust, Trade it if you want but you never come out better trading. Market value is market value they can show you more money but it will be added to your new boat and you will be even more upside down in the new one. Your best option is to sell your boat so you have have an edge when you are buying your new boat.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Most buyers will want to be informed buyers, and want to know why you are selling it. It seems, and I'm assuming here, that you're selling it to get a newer one. Which is cool, but then you also work at the dealership, thus hinting, not saying for sure but hinting, that you probably got a really good deal on it, and will the next one. If I was a buyer I would not like the way this sounded. I know its the way of the world, but flipping boats is going to start to turn on people, and maybe it already has.
Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
I have sold a boat and two cars in the last year or so. We are always blinded by our perception of what our 'stuff' is worth. Ultimately, I did not want to hold on to the boat or cars forever. I wanted to be done and move on. With all of them I started at High NADA. If I got no calls or interest I lowered the price each week in increments of $500.00 until I started to generate some interest. Ultimately, the price is what the market is willing to pay. Keep in mind that once the summer is gone you are going to have much less chance of selling that boat.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-06-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
water freak, I ws referring to a loaded 22, the options add up quick. That's why I said a fully loaded 22 SSV will be int he mid to low 60's depending on options. The z-5 rack is $1500 alone.

****Also available in Limited edition, which features unique unique coloring and graphics, Indmar ETX CAT 5.7L V-8 340HP engine, Z-Cargo rack, upgraded stereo and speakers, black powder-coated tower accessories, dual batteries, upgraded trailer and Supra Helm Station w/ custom dash.

I knwo depending on what dealer you went to has alot to do with what options they put on their boats...my local supra delaer competes with Malibu/Mastercraft...every boat they bring in comes almost fully loaded. The dealer in another major city in Texas orders his boats bare bone.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on August 06, 2007)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
There's an 06 for $36,800 on here.
Old    alanp            08-06-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
you mention that they are going for 39-40k where you live but nada has them at 32k. i drove 24 hours to pick up a boat. id gladly do it again to save 7k too. drop the price=sell the boat.
Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-06-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
Have you thought about trying to set up some "pre-financing" option. especially if you have access to a lender that will go 15yrs on a used boat and advertise the boat as a montly payment instead of a price? Not too many people have $40k in the bank to blow on a toy. But if they can look at it as a payment then the fun factor is more justified. I also agree, leave all the options on this boat.

On second hand if you really want to get a new 08 or something and you are only going to loose like $1,500 then trade it and roll the loss into the next loan and save that money on your taxes. Plus it will not really affect your next payment. Just make sure to put a little extra on the first six months of payments on the new one. Just my .02 for what its worth
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
i appreciate all the honest input , nada doesn't mean a lot, price is more dictated by the market and where you live. im gonna try for about couple weeks with the 07 moomba graphics on it and lower the price a bit and see what happens, if not it looks like ill just trade it in.
Old    bocephus            08-06-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
The banks go by NADA, at least mine does. They will not loan more than what it says!
Old    alanp            08-06-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
bocephus nailed it.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-06-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
If you have a 740 score or higher some banks will loan up to 125% of NADA retail including options and taxes.

entrust - I think that you will find that NADA does have a meaning. You might have plenty of people that would pay the 40k, but unless they have a chunk of change in the bank for a down payment the bank may not approve a loan for the entire amount. I definitely think you should include anything that you can with the boat and put the new graphics on. Good luck with the sale...it's a nice boat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-06-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
The boat is 3 years old... sounds like the depreciation curve beat the finance profile. Putting less than 20% down on a boat purchase is always asking for trouble if you intend to sell it within 5 years.

Whenever something doesn't sell it's almost always:

1. Priced too high
2. Not enough exposure (timing)

Put it on e-bay with a high reserve, that will set the bottom dollar value very quickly.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-06-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Both Bocephus and Nate are correct within each of their confines.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-06-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
Not sure if this was already posted or not I was too lazy to read all the posts but have you thought about the size of your boat maybe hindering its sale. Not all of us can fit a 23 foot boat in their garage and just aren't able to justify purchase if they can't get it in their garage. Just a thought. It looks like an excellent boat.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2007, 9:39 PM Reply   
i really think the 23' boat is a big part of it, we have been selling lsvs like crazy and im kinda kicking myself for not buying the lsv, cause i know i could sell the lsv now for $40k in my area no questions :-(
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       08-07-2007, 2:59 AM Reply   
Where abouts in the US are you?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
entrust, I think part of the issue on price is that you're confusing what a dealer can sell the boat for with what a private party can sell the boat for. You keep talking about what similar boats are going for in your area but I get the impression that you're looking at what a dealer sells it for in your area. Dealers can always demand a higher premium for the exact same boat. I've never understood that myself but it's very true.

You're also underestimating NADA. I know you don't want to believe it but everyone else on the board is right: you've priced it too high.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-07-2007, 6:11 AM Reply   
Your price is definitely too high...I looked at a loaded XLV back in 05 when I bought my previous boat and I could have bought it for 39,500 brand new. Right now there are plenty of 05 Supra 24SSVs for sale around 40K. The XLV is a great boat but most people would go for the Supra for the same price. Now is the time when dealers are clearing out thier 07's and you can pick up a new LSV for about 37-38K. Drop your price to about 35,500 and you might get some bites.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-07-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
I also think the 23' boat is holding you back along with the price. I would go with around 37k starting. Put on the new graphics and you should get some people in there.

Someone said they got a 210 for that. Well, its like comparing a half ton truck to a three quarter ton truck. But alot dont want that large of a boat. I would take that massive beast any day. Good luck with your sale.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
like i said i appreciate the honest input and if my boat is only worth $35k than i will just keep it or trade it. so im gonna put the graphics on it and drop the price a bit and see what happens
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Starting this thread was a great way to help your boat sell...It is basically another ad for your boat in a main area of WW, you get to post about all the options it has, attracts viewers to the add, people get to comment, and you get to continuously mention how fair the price is, and it stays at the top for a while...Nice work!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-07-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
Here in Illinois, you can buy a brand new one with the same options for that price. Nice boat though.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
I met a guy that bought an 05 last year with under 80 hours with every option accept the 340 for 33K. This was in Oregon from a private party.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yep, I have seen similar prices and I am in Seattle. I think your best bet is 35500- 36k. Good luck
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-07-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Brand new that boat was 42-45k tops in 05.

I would think you'd get about 32 best.

I think your biggest issue is that it's a Moomba which is looked on as a budget line boat. Not that it's bad, that's just how the second hand market buyer thinks. Around here people don't want to pay a ton for a used budget line boat. Even if you wanted to sell it for 35k. How many 210's, X-2's, or VLX's can you buy in that price range. TONS That's how most people think and is why it's a bit harder to sell a budget type product in the used market place.

I don't want you to think your boat is a POS. On the contrary, I think Moomba makes a fantastic boat. I've ridden behind your 23 footer a couple of years ago and thought it kicked up a great wake.

fact is, the second hand market won't pick up your boat if they can pick up a Malibu, MC or CC for the same kind of money.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
^^^^^and length doesn't matter in regards to that^^^^^^

Think it's time to realize you're not going to get what you put into it. Adding options to increase value isn't always a good route to go. I'm biased though, because I'm totally against boat flipping anyway. Just sounds like you were trying to profit from this and now can't.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
I am not sure where you can get an 05 VLX for 39K. I sold mine in March for 47,500.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
Shane, I think you mean you sold yours for 37,500k not 47500k. just a guess.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
An 05 VLX for 37.5k? I'm wondering if some of you have ever even priced boats, much less actually put your money where you mouth is on one.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
Stan not a VLX as that is Malibu. He is selling a Moomba XLV a budget boat...... big difference. I sense you are confused.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
I sense you are the one confused. Shane was talking about selling an 05 Malibu VLX in which you commented on.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
not sure how a malibu came into the conversation then since this thread is about a Moomba but whatever.......
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-07-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Entrust, your situation raises a couple of questions.

1. How did you get upside down when you work for a Moomba dealer? Sure the average guy who put little down is going to get stuck if they try to sell in 2 years, but I would imagine an employee would be buying much closer to cost and would be ahead or at least even with the depreciation curve.

2. Why are you selling? It seems clear that you owe more than it is worth and financially you would be better off enjoying it for the next 2-5 years. Heck you would be financially better off driving it until it is paid off and then some.

If you really want a new ride, it looks like you are going to have to eat around $3K on this one to get into your next ride.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-07-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Shane was probably referring to Paul's post on finding a 210, X-2 or VLX in the price RANGE. You were both correct, but no need for the Texan two-step attitude.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       08-07-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Entrust.....if you let me right you a postdated check for 2027, I'll give you 40 for it.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-07-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I wasn't talking about an 05 vlx.

I personally would pick up an 02-04 VLX X-2 210 for the same price as a Moomba. Sure they may be 2-3 years older, however you're still getting a used boat, what's the difference in a couple of years?

(Message edited by faceplanter69 on August 07, 2007)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-07-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
im done with this post, i appreciate the honest constructive input that some people posted in here but i do not appreciate the people that always feel the need to be jerks!
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-07-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I think this actually was a very well developed and posted thread with good info. I was responding to Paul's post, nothing more, nothing less.

That being said, best of luck.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-07-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Unfortunately when parting with a depreciating asset you need to set emotion aside and take a look at reality. Sometimes the reality is harsh or cruel but it is fact.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-20-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
what boat you looking at getting next?
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       08-20-2007, 5:50 PM Reply   
I'm going to approach this from a little different angle. I look through the classifieds occasionally and remember seeing this boat. For me I remeber looking at the pics and thinking this boat may not have been taken care of the way I would like...I'm not saying the boat hasn't been taken care of, but in the one picture it appears the interior has leaves in it. Maybe it's not, but if I were in the market and saw that I wouldn't not buy it. It just gives me the impression the boat has not been taken care of.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-20-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Well there is alot of valuable info from this thread, Note to self if your looking to resale your new boat in the next few years look to the name brand boats, not value priced...