Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-24-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
I was talking to a guy briefly at the launch ramp and he said he runs a Boston Acoustic 1 ohm amp for his 4 tower speakers and 1 ohm is the way to go. What do you think? If I go 1 ohm, which brand?
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-24-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
1 ohm is not the way to go...and anyone will say anything to impress the guy next to him

lower impedance means amp is flowing more current and is creating more heat so it is not the best for the amp. He may be running it at 1 ohm to get more power from it, but a more powerful amp running at 4 ohms, running cooler would be a better way to go.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-24-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
does ba make a 1 ohm full range amp ?

i dont know for sure, but i seriously doubt it...
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-25-2007, 12:02 AM Reply   
i'm no expert but i think the only amps for car/boat audio that are run at 1 ohm are amps for subwoofers,
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-25-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
I have seen half ohm stable amps....the Hifonics Ulysses was a 1/2 ohm stable.
It would put you in a 50 watt class for competition but in reality you would be running 200x2 at a .5 ohm.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-25-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have seen half ohm stable amps....the Hifonics Ulysses was a 1/2 ohm stable.
It would put you in a 50 watt class for competition but in reality you would be running 200x2 at a .5 ohm.

I doubt BA has a 1 ohm stable amp...in fact I would call BS if you see that guy again.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-25-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
there arent too many 1/2 ohm "cheater" amps around... the lowest you would ever want to go is 2 ohms...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
Assuming each speaker is 4 ohm there are lots of options, setting it up to run on a 1 ohm load is pretty far down on my list.

There are plenty of good four channel amps, a few big two channel amps that push 2 ohms/channel, you can mix and match series speakers and bridged amps if you want to save on tower wiring too.

Running 1 ohm with our somewhat low boat battery voltages causes most amps to run quite hot and inefficient.