Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    jmccallum            07-26-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
What's the best cleaner to get those tough white scuff marks left by white vinyl dock bumper strips?

Is spray 9 the right one?

Also, what's the best fibreglass polishing compound to get rid of oxidation?

PS: I just renovated the bathroom at my cottage ... is this the right sign to post on the door?
I just renovated the bathroom at my cottage ... is this the right sign to post on the door?
Old    jmccallum            07-27-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
Alrighty.
I sometimes get a whitish scuff mark from my dock....obviously not paying attention but what I do is:
Since the stuff I get is really kind of thick, a cleaner really doesn't work. So, I've resorted to using....very carfully....a razor blade at a vary low angle. It does not scratch the gel coat and only takes off the whitish stuff, or most of it.
Afterwords, I polish and wax with absolutely no evidence of the incident.
It may seem scary but if you are carful and patient, it works well. Not aware of a cleaner that would work.
Good luck

(Message edited by nvsairwarrior on July 27, 2004)
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-27-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
try wd-40 it is seems to do a good job for me...then simply rinse the rail and seal it with a protectant...
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
james...if the scuff is really bad, you might want to try a little wet-sanding with 1000-1500 grit.

This was the only way I could get a few of the marks off my boat. I then decided to get rid of the rest of the board marks on the stern, and various other areas of the boat...6 hours later and a ton of rubbing compound, cleaner wax and then final waxing I was done...boy was I tired...so I wnet boarding after that!

regular automotive rubbing compound should do the trick...I prefer 3M products, but others might suggest something else that has worked for them.

good luck
Old     (drumnwake420)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
i had a bunch of black thick scuff marks on my rail, and then my buddy who works for this graphics company gave me this pure citrus stuff that they use to get off old decals gunk off things. Sprayed a little on it, let it sit for a minute, and then rubbed it right off... it was so easy but i hear that citrus stuff is pretty expensive... maybe there's something cheaper that would work almost the same that you could just buy at a grocery store..
Old    jmccallum            07-27-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
thanks guys.

I'll try a bit of razor, some WD-40, and look for a citrus cleaner. The sand paper seems like too much work
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-27-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
Ro-Lite is a product sold in Marine stores that will get tough scuff marks off. It is a light rubbing compound that also works really well on any stains in your gelcoat.
Old    oshensurfer            07-27-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
Goof off or lift off. Works for me.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-27-2004, 4:24 PM Reply   
use rubbing alchol, they come right off
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Goof Off or Rubbing alcohol, that is a good idea! Really, that works on the gel coat? I'm going to try that.
I really don't like using the razor blade on the gel coat but hey, it does work and reasonably quick.
Thanks
Old     (elcarteros)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-28-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
I use soft scrub citrus works great with out scratching.
Old    jmccallum            07-29-2004, 7:46 AM Reply   
What are some of the Citrus cleaner brand names?

I got a bottle of 3M (light Oxidation) polish and wax to bring up the bits that are faded. I'll use it also after I get the scuff marks off.