Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
I looked at a boat this week, 2003 V230 with low hours. Boat was a mess. The mess could have been cleaned up, maybe, but this really bothered me. When i checked the oil with the dip stick, the dip stick would come out with chunky stuff all over it. It was at the bottom, and all along the stick. It felt like chunks of rust and water in my fingers. The guy said that it is common for the dip stick tube to rust and need replacement. He also said the condensation was normal. I am not a boat expert, but our other boat never had any problems like this, and it had a lot more hours on it. This guy even said he had to replace the one on his 2004 xstar twice already, with only 200 hours.

Is this normal for boat oil systems?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
The key words in your entry are "The guy said" and "He also said". I would discount any information you received after those statements.

The information you got on the end of the dipstick is all you need to know. No it is not normal or acceptable.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
Does that sound right to you? an 03 boat with chunks of rust and water on the dip stick.

Is this a saltwater boat?

to answer your question...NO.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
i agree with adam,

my oil in the boat looks like the oil in my truck.

run, don't walk from this deal
Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
That's what I thought. It was a very good price, but when I got there, it was very obvious that the boat was not very well cared for(large gelcoat scratches, lotion stained seats, leaves in the compartments, water in the self draining ice chest). I agree with you insuranceman, our other boat always had a very clean dip stick and oil. This guy had two boats, and he claimed that this one had been out recently, but I think he was full of sh*t. He had a few others coming the next morning to look at the boat, I hope they check the oil and are concerned also.
Thanks for the confirming replies.
Darin
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-06-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
The oil on my distick always looks normal. I obatained a boat once that had funny looking oil on the dipstick. Let me tell you, that was expensive!

If the seller won't clean up the boat, change the oil, make the boat present itself well, then you can bet he wasn't very keen on regular maintenance either.

And a dipstick tube rusting? For cryin out loud, it is lubricated in oil! It shoudln't rust! If he had checked the oil on a regular basis the oil that would smear all over the tube would protect it from rusting! And no, I don't believe that a boat engine would be that much more likely to rust its dipstick tube than any car. People live and drive cars next to oceans all over the world. This guy is giving you a line of BS.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-06-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I would stay away from a boat that has something funky going on in the oil....unless the intent and price has a new motor factored in.....
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-07-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
the Sanger you looked at probably has a cracked block, allowing water from the cooling system to get into the oil. If you want to buy a boat that's in perfect working order, don't even think about this boat. If you're up for a project and you like the boat, have it fully checked out by a mechanic, and only buy it if you can get it heavily discounted. IOW, if it needs $8K worth of repairs, only buy it if you can get it at a $14K discount. The guy has no leverage when he's selling a busted boat.