Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old    spanyardo            12-18-2003, 7:31 PM Reply   
I've never actually wakeskated, am considering starting. I have been skateboarding for about 15 years (sounds scary when put like that!)
How would you describe the ouch factor? would you say it's safer/less safe than wakeboarding? what are common injuries for you?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       12-18-2003, 9:49 PM Reply   
Safer than wakeboarding, the biggest risk is a board in the nads!!! Ouch!!!
Old    warlock00            12-19-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
I think I read on here somebody's back leg slipped off and the front stayed on the board and it broke his leg. But I would say that wakeskating is less risky that wakeboarding simply cause your not locked in.

so far these are the injuries our crew have had

wakeboarding:
busted eardrum
broken hand
dislocated shoulder
sprained ankles
blown apart ACL

wakeskating
none so far, but they are possible.

give it a try I have a feeling you will like it.
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-19-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
MUCH better than wakeboarding. As long as you don't like the skin on your shins anyway...
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-19-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
I agree, land once with one foot on and one foot off and it will scare you. I think its safer over all but you can still get messed up
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2004, 10:26 AM Reply   
We have had ZERO injuries since we all started skating last summer. I mean you can go and do a 15 foot high Raley and just dive into the water.....error a raley with a wakeboard =plenty of down time.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
I aggree there is a little less chance for serious injury but its still something new and with new things come some pretty hard falls. Until you learn how to bail out of a wake to wake you can have some really hard falls that to me are similar to the worst wakeboarding falls. I think it is easier to blow an ear drum on the skate because you slip out faster.
My worst water injury ever was a stage 3 hamstring tear on the skate. One year recovery.

MCL Damage is pretty easy too when one foot slips off.

Old    kmac            06-24-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Injuries, nothing compared to wakeboarding but keep both feet on the board as previous poster i had a bad hamstring tear, months to recover. One foot in the water and one sliding away at 20mph and you will get hurt as i did and others but overall much safer.
Old    driver8            07-05-2004, 12:19 AM Reply   
When I'm beat from boarding, I skate. It's easier and less impact, unless you impact the skate.
Old    maulzar            07-06-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
I honestly did not think that you could get injured wakeskating at a slower speed (15-18 mph) until this weekend. I was trying to jump off the board after jumping the wake and do a double back flip. I Have done a single backflip many times so I thought that I could step it up. Well as I was jumping the wake I jumped up harder then I have in the past. This caused the board to slid out from under me but I was already in rotation I got around once, but on the second rotation I slammed the back of my head into the board and then hit my shin on it. I now have 4 stainless steel staples in the back of my head and a stitch in my leg. I used to try out my new tricks on the wakeskate first so that I wouldnt get hurt then move on to trying them on the wakeboard, now it may be the other way around.
Old    edward            07-15-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
dude just go for it at least when you land u hit water not concrete. if you skate then you'll be used to the shin knocks with the board.
Old    txwkbrdr06            07-16-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have done more to myself wakeboarding and skateboarding than wakeskating. When you skateboard and fall, you're landing on concrete or a hard rail. When you wakeboard and fall, being attached to the board gives you less control on how you land, so you can fall all funny and not be able to do anything about it. I like wakeskating because if you mess up a trick you just go flying through the air into the water like you would in a pool. I don't know, maybe I am just lucky so far. I have taken it off the kicker and the slider and it's turned out ok.. the only thing I ever get nervous about is casing it and coming up and having the wakeskate hit my head like a surfboard might, thus when I mess up and fall I stay under the water a few moments and then surface and find my skate. All the boys I ride with have encountered injuries wakeboarding, but no one has injured themselves wakeskating. <knock>
Old    r_dub            07-16-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
Ive ridden once for about a total of 5 minutes. I basically got up, first time. Carved around a bit, went outside the wake, blah blah blah. Thought to myself, oh this isnt that hard. So I charged the wake, got decent pop, thought oh I got this, then I did the whole back leg slip off thing with my front still on. OUCH! Pulled muscle, and was done for the entire weekend.
I CANT WAIT TO TRY IT AGAIN!
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-19-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
skating is sooooo dangerous. ive had two friends die and i think they should be banned from the water. it is too dangerous. if you are concerned i would play it safe and stay on your couch.

ps- make sure all of your red meat is well done, that will kill you too.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-19-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   
Shaun Murray just dislocated his lower leg and tore up his knee doing a simple wake jump on a wakeskate. Back foot came off and as he started to do the splits, his knee gave out.
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-27-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
how did your friends die?
Old    krissi            07-30-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
So I'm guessing if you have shin splints it will hurt twice as much?

(Message edited by krissi on July 30, 2004)
Old     (doobie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
Not nearly as much as the fun factor.....:-)