Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Ok so here is the low down. I am debating between an 05 x-star team rider turn in boat with 400 hours on it. Boat has everything and more. Price $57.5 Option two is an 04 x-star fully optioned out with 270 hours on it for $59K. Option three is a fully loaded, decked to the 9's 06 malibu vlx with new gear, ropes, and everything being thrown in by the dealer for 55K. Which would you choose. Should I be concerned about the high hours on the 05 team rider boat. The exterior is in pretty good shape but who knows about the engine. The dealer is not exactly bending over back wards to give me the idea he wants to sell the boat as I requested the service records and pretty much am having to beg for a call back. I am at a loss and appreciate any input you might be able to lend me.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Is the VLX brand new, with zero hours?

If so, that would be my choice. 400 may not be bad to some people, but that seems high to me. Also being a team rider turn in it probably was used and abused...loaded with ballast at all times I'm sure. So I would worry about that boat long term.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
VLX is brand new with 0 hours. Loaded with 4 tour speakers, cover, shower, towing bow cover, 2 mwns boards, ropes, handles, ipod interface, shower, the works. I had similar thoughts about he team boat as it has a total of 5-7 extra ballast lines plumbed in. It belonged to zane schwenk from mastercraft.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2006, 2:31 PM Reply   
VLX hands down IMO. I wouldn't ever want to buy a team rider owned boat. "Most" of the time those boats are run really hard with a TON of ballast and are not taken care of at all.

Let me ask you this...What is your draw to buy a heavily used boat over a brand new for more money? Have you riden behind and been in both of them? You should demo both brands and see what you like best.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-11-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
I'm surprised the two MC's are still in the high $50's with 270 and 400 hrs on them? Seems extremely high. From what I've seen, $55 is a good deal on a loaded 06 VLX.

Also, pros are not generally known for their care and maintenance habits.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
I see, so the other boat for sale, the 04 x-star with extra ballasts, ownder throwing in boards, bindings, ropes, handles, for 59K is not a deal you would take? The boat has everything except for tower speakers from what I can tell. I appreciate everyones thoughts.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-11-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
No...but I own a Malibu!

Again, what experiences to you have with both Malibu and Mastercraft? The boats are different in a lot of ways, so one will usually begin to draw to one or the other after some time in both of them.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
so your statement is becuase of malibu ownership not becuase that other deal is a bad one?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Personally I would take the VLX.....I wouldn't even think twice about it
Old     (cmeriptahoe)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
take the vlx without a thought. its NEWWWWW. haha. and its cheaper. that should do it for ou right there. x-stars are great but that is some bank to be dropping on a boat with those hours that has most likely been abused.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-11-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
I would go with the VLX.

Imagine yourself a pro rider...you would ride the boat very sacked out all of the time, you know you get a new one next year, if you take it to the shop you can't ride...Sounds like it would be sort of stupid to waste time on maintenance.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
brand new is always better
Old    bocephus            07-11-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
Have you looked at MB?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-11-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
I'll bet Zane had some hot babes on that X-Star. How much is that worth to you? Maybe he would autograph your Absolute Platinum.
Old    sking55405            07-11-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
i would go with the malibu..
Old     (bvo)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
I had an 89 Pro Star with the 351. It had over 1700Hrs. on it when I sold it and the only thing I did was change oil regularly and rebuilt the carb after putting it up when out of the country for a while. MC does like to ask more for the name but I had no regrets.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2006, 10:52 PM Reply   
i would never buy a team rider turn-in boat.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Bryan, I would tend to have to agree with the majority on here. A new loaded VLX would be my choice boat to boat. However, you guys are forgetting about the dealer aspect. Unfortunately I have not heard good things about our local Malibu dealer, especially their service department. I can tell you first hand good things about our MC dealer, tho. Even though I hear they are short staffed right now. Test drive and good luck. Join www.pdxwake.com and bring your new boat out to wet wednesday on the Willamette. We have only one MC-me and one Malibu(mostly at Billy Chinook) the rest are Skier's Choice fellas.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
ok so here is the low down. I went and drove a VLX last night. I am not sure if this was just this boat but it was a new 06 loaded with everyting. I noticed that whether the ballasts were filled or empty the boat just seemed underpowered. I don't want to deal with an 8.1 fuel intake and this boat had the mcx engine so it should have been fine but it just lacked the pop that I experienced with the other boats. The other thing that I didn't care for waws the amount of bow rise that was experienced with the wedge up or down ballasts full or empty. Combine that with the fact that as we sat there the sales gut upon hearing m concerns basically dropped his pants and told me that there was another couple of thousand in the price that the owner would knock of (down to 53K LOADED) I didn't leave with a real favorable impression. Brya, I am understanding the comment you made about the locar dealer. Seems like we are playing an awful lot of games here. I will say that my sales guy has a great heart and is an extremelly nice guy which is helping. At this point I am seriously thinking that I am just going to pony up the extra money and get a brand new X-15 loaded up and be done with it. I love that boat. It feels nimble and quick and just quality. The other option is a used X-Star. As we were putting the VLX in last night there was a white and black one dropping a boarder in the water and it looked so mean and just bad ass. I have the utmost respect for all of these boats as they are all great. I will say that for the money a Supra 22SSV is alot of boat. Why does the only new one left in the area have to have that damn play pen feature. It seems like that would get so annoying having to constantly walk on your cushions and have my two terriers walk on the cushions. Arghhh, should I just buy a row boat and a recruit a few people from the local rowing club to power it
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
The Supra playpen design is one of the most functional storage/seating designs on the market IMO. Usually only the girls sit up front, and it makes for nice scenery for the driver. Flip up the seatbacks and you have more seating fore and aft, and a windblock too. Underneath is huge storage and/or ballast area.

Dealer is extremely important with boats that are still under warranty, and should be one of your main concerns. 53k is a smokin deal on a loaded new VLX (with trailer?), and shows the dealer is probably hungry, and probably for a reason. Sounds like you have that figured out.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-12-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Bryan, VLX probably had the Monsoon 340 HP, MC has the MCX engine. They have an X15 in stock and you had a chance to test drive it? I haven't driven it, but it does look nice.......Trace, it's funny how people love or hate the playpen. I personally don't like it...

(Message edited by lionel on July 12, 2006)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-12-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Don't buy an underpowered boat. You will be sorry if you do.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-12-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Prop the Monsoon correctly in the VLX and you shouldn't have any problems. We run 2,800 lbs in our larger version of the VLX (the LSV) and we never feel under powered with the Monsoon.

The bow rise isn't a good thing on the VLX...you would probably need to add more to the bow if you are serious about riding. Or you could check out the LSV that has considerably less bow rise.

Good luck!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Interesting that longer boat would have less bow rise. Good to know though. What prop do you recommend for the VLX as I will ask the dealer about putting that on it. I really appreciate all of the help you guys! The playpen does drive me nuts as I hate walking all over my cushions.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-12-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
I guess it is as lionel said, the playpen you either love it or hate it.

I personally love it. At first I was skeptical and wanted the ssv in a walk thru but could not find one. I went ahead and purchased the boat with the playpen and as what Trace said there are so many things you can do with it.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
Did the VLX you rode in have the playpen, or just the 22SSV? If the VLX didn't have the playpen, it didn't have bow ballast which makes a HUGE difference in bow rise. I have the 13.5x16 prop with the 340 hp engine and have never felt underpowered, even with full ballast and 13 people. We started on the factory prop (until we hit a stump), and it was noticably slower out of the hole.

I'd demo the X-15 before you make any decisions for sure. That boat looks amazing. Also, I've seen some cheaper, low-hour X-Stars pop up from time to time if that's the route you decide. However, speaking of underpowered, if you run a lot of weight, the MCX may not be enough.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
the vlx did you have a playpen but a wlakthrough instead. Does that make a huge difference? so that 13.5 x 16 prop is an after market then huh? Seems weird that all of these mods are necesssry to a brand new boat does it now. What about color on the vlx? The dealer has one that is a yellow hull with a white trim and one that is red upper and lower with that gray middle panel. The red and gray is very understated and classy.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Bow ballast on the the VLX is essential; it all but eliminates excessive bow rise at wakeboard speeds (but forces you into the playpen bow w/o any bow storage). Most new wakeboard boats are sold with under-pitched props to cater to the needs of people not planning to add extra sacs. The factory props allow for a higher top-end speed and better fuel economy (assuming no added weight) but lead the boat to feel "underpowered" out of the hole when ballast is added.

By the way, I did a little research on boattrader.com and flipsell.com, and you're getting the shaft on both of those X-Stars. You may have to arrange transportation, but MUCH better deals are out there.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I have not heard of flipsell.com. Interesting. Basicall what I think I want more than anything is an 04 x-star with 100-200 hours or less. I would like a white and black one more than anything with the 350 engine. I want tower speakers, you know the works. I am going to look at a B-52 tonight and gerry from active has been super nice and helpful to work with. Anyone have any thoughts on that boat?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9331

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9125

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9269

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=9270

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/8/83243448.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/1/84791551.htm

Those last two look pretty close to what you're looking for.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
The first one, and the last two look like really good options and I have call s into all of them. What do you guys think of the first one in the blue and the last two. I am thinking that a non fad color is better. I don't think you can go wrong with the all black hull or the black and white. If you guys were buying what would you be looking for? Also, there is this boat which seems to be in grat condition. Thoughts on this one? http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/4/80993244.htm
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-12-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
If it were me, I'd look hardest at the last link I posted. Being that you live in the northwest, you'll going to be paying $3-5k in shipping costs (or about $1-2k in gas and hotel costs), and that boat seems to be significantly cheaper than the rest. I don't believe MC has made any significant changes in the X-Star since '03, so it's really just a matter or hours, options, price, and condition, with the year being almost irrelevant. Can't go wrong with black, blue, red, or white.

EDIT: Nevermind, that $48k X-Star is in New York, so that would double your shipping/driving fees. In my opinion, I think the all-blue one looks best.

(Message edited by jcv on July 12, 2006)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Wow....#2 jumps out at me.

Agree, the last link is a great deal when adding in travel/transport expense.... The photo looks clean, but it could have been taken the day it was brought home. Interesting to see what all these look like when it gets down to "Please get me some current photos of interior, any cosmetic issues that may be of concern."

7K can buy a lot of toys & necessities(boards, jackets, ropes, line, bumpers ect).....that is assuming this is a first boat and you don't already have that stuff. When I bought my first boat, that was one expense that I didn't think about and it added up FAST.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
As far as the blue boat, I have a blue/black/white boat and the X2(X1 now) that I almost bought was the MC Monterey blue(loved this color)... So it is not that I am not a fan of blue, but that blue doesn't do it for "me" and almost looks to much blue...it needs to be broken up some IMO.

Maybe off the BLUE trailer it would look different............
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing about the blue. Alot of it. The red is really nice, but both black boats are pretty killer. The all blakc is sick but could be a pain and the white and black is about ideal I think. I would just be getting the right price of near 50K on the white and black boat I believe. Again, thoughts are welcomed!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Why does the TX boat(black and white) have a VA bow number?

Salt water?????
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
he is military and apparently not anytime in saltwater at all.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Speaking of VA...when confirming the VA bow letters, I noticed a '05 X-Star with the 8.1 for 59 K.... It had the metallic silver and I loved it.

I know you weren't considering the 8.1....but I hear that consumption is that "that much" different....though I am sure there are those on her that can confirm that.........

EDIT http://http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/81777408.htm

(Message edited by Deuce on July 12, 2006)
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
the 8.1 is just not something I want to deal with. Here is another question. The dealer called from malibu and talk me that he boat I had been negotiating on didn't in fact have the power wedge. He said that is another 2K option. Just seems like the deal keeps changing on this one.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Supposedly the power wedge can't be added after the boat leaves the factory. Your dealer may be FOS.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-12-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
I was going to buy a used X-2 from the MC Dealer in Portland until I went in a talked to him. He is possibly the most dishonest person I have ever met. They where working a a 02 X-Star that had over 10k in damage to it. The where going to fix it and sell it without letting the buyers know it had been wrecked. He told me that to my face as I was looking at the boat when I said I wasn't interested in it.

He also has a high turn over of employees for some reason.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
yea, what is the deal with the local dealers. I have heard that the supra dealer is really slow on service but great otherwise, the malibu dealer is way out on service time as well, and that mastercraft, god who knows, may stories there. So is this realy the lesser of all evils or what here. AS far as the malibu goes I think I would be fine there and have a breand new boat if it is not going to porpose (sp?) and they put the different prop on it. How big a deal is not having apower wedge anyway?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
Convienance.....as the power wedge goes....at least to my knowledge.

I still like the Malibu deal by the way. New for less or = to used, getting a full warranty is always a nice way to go. I have never had a boat without a warranty......though very well may in 2 years.....
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
That is always a nice thing. Warranty is great. I figure that I will probably go that direction unless the MB b52 23' I am going to take a ride in this afternoon really makes a big statement. Any thoughts on that boat?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
You may want to go drive the VLX with a different prop.......

That said, above you said that you love the X-15. IMO if you love a boat and have the finances to get it, you pull the trigger. Don't second guess or settle...... You would be kicking yourself if you look back and wish you would have purchased something else.

Buy the boat you love........(assuming it is financially responsible)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Boats are a lot like women, everyone has different tastes.... Personally, I would never sleep with a MB, wouldn't even buy her a drink because her looks wouldn't get me across the bar.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Bryan,

Not sure what the issue was with the VLX power and bow rise.

As far as bow rise, the VLX does need weight in the front. I would say always order it with the bow ballast tank. I alnost always run all 4 MLS tanks, and have NO issue with bow rise. Sometimes I have 4-5 pop bags in the walk through. Like I said, bow rise is never a problem for me. I guess if you had everyone on the rear bench seat, it MAY increase it a bit, but if you have everyone sitting in various areas, it should not be a problem.

As far as power, not sure why there was a problem. I have the Monsoon in mine, and usually have anywhere from 4-10 people in the boat (ususally closer to 10), along with 1,250 lbs of MLS ballast, 420 lbs of lead. I also sometimes fill 2-400 lb v-drive sacks. If I use the sacks, I usually put all the lead in the walk-through. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY issue I have ever had with power was if I run all that weight, including the v-drive sacks (really not necessary, and not done often), wedge down, AND more than 7-8 persons. Then it takes a bit to get on plane. Other than that, never a power problem. If there was a power issue, I would be the first to complain about it. I still run the stock prop.

As far as value, my vote goes to the VLX, not because I own one, but because it is new, 0 hours, and seems like a great price. I have 430 hours on my VLX, and would not trade it for any other boat I have been on. If I was to get rid of it, it would be replaced by another VLX.

Good that you are researching and test driving. Like others have said, everyone likes something different, and the only way to tell which you would like the best is to drive them and take a pull behind them. Dealer is very important also.

Best of luck on your hunting. Thay are all nice boats.