Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
I'd like to pick something up this year to teach beginners, and bigger riders. Our sweet spot isn't the best board for bigger riders, and its a little aggressive of uncoordinated people. I'm kind of leaning towards a IS squirt since you can pick up a b grade for 300... any other options??? Used would be ok too..
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-03-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
our best beginner board is a Smed Wombat twin fin ....... a great durable board that can be " too " fast but they seem to be able to control the board and its a great intermediate board also ...... we purchased ours from robert 2 augusts ago for $250 and it is ridden constantly still ....... i dont know if he still makes boards or not
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
is there a website or somewhere to get info on them?
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-03-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
here is his website http://smedwakesurfing.com/ i feel we were very lucky that we chanced into this board ....... you can start people first thing on it, you can get air on it, you can spin on it, we have had riders up to 220lbs on it and less then 100lbs on it

i usually keep quiet about board recommendations but for a good first board this has been awesome for us!
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       06-03-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
I am teaching my fiance how to ride the new triple x nitor board. as a tri fin it is super predictable and stable. i rode it around as a twin and had a blast. great all around board
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
The squirt is definitely the board to fit your needs. It's so tough to beat for a beginner board.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
the squirt just looks like a skim board to me though...
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
Put 2 fins in it and it doesn't feel like a skim board.....

Put a single small fin in and it once again feels like a skim board.

The best of both worlds all in one price point board just by changing the fin configuration.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
It is basically a 60" compression molded skimboard. Skim boards just tend to be easier to ride for beginners since they are not as responsive and sensitive, also because they generate speed by leaning forward instead of pumping. Most beginners cant get the hang of pumping right away.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2011, 2:59 PM Reply   
True, I always felt skims where a bit slower on the wave though
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-03-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
It definitely depends on the skim. but the squirt is plenty fast for beginners
Old     (Wakesurfnc)      Join Date: Nov 2010       06-03-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
I help run and operate a Wakesurf school here in NC. About all of the people that get up and going on our liquid force venture once we switch them to a smaller board its the Inland Squirt. They fall in love with it. It's a great board. Forgiving,best of both worlds and fast. Definately check it out. California Marine Sports has some at really great prices. Just talk to Mitch lol
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-04-2011, 5:29 AM Reply   
I lnow cms has a few blems left which is what I want. Will the squirt work for heavier people?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-04-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
The squirt is listed 70-250+
but with a really good wake you can get over 250.
If most of the people are closer to 250 then the Red Rocket may be a better board.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-05-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
I just picked up a b grade from cms off ebay. Excited to get it an teach some new people!