Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-04-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
I am wanting to buy or build a fairly inexpensive rack to store wakeboards(4) and surfboards (2) on the wall of the garage? I'm sure someone has tried building one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-04-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
there are lots of ways.

I've seen people do it with PVC pipe.

I personally built a rack with a couple of 4x4s and 1inch dowels placed at an angle -- fits about 6-7 boards.

Another option is to buy cheap tool hangers at your local home improvement store. There are some that come in two packs that are coated in foam or rubber. Very easy to drill into the wall and mount/display your boards.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2008, 4:19 AM Reply   
Good DIY article can be found on the Wakeoutlaws web sight.

I made these and like them a lot. I don't really think it's necessary to spend the extra $$ for the end caps. My boards do not get scratched without them and they add nothing to structural integrity.

Local Home Depot wanted almost $1 ea for them.

http://www.wakeoutlaws.com/diywakeboardrack.php
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-05-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Ed G. That is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks!
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-05-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Easy to make and very functional. I have my surfboards and waterskis on mine

Here's a photo of my version with a close-up of where the pvc attaches to the 2x4...

Upload
Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-05-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
I like, going to have to do that.
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-05-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
Here is what I did with 2x4 and 3/4 dowel.

T
Upload
Old     (NiceRack)      Join Date: Nov 2010       11-15-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
If you would prefer to just buy an affordable wakeboard storage rack solution rather than build one yourself, check out Nice Rack

(Linked)

Last edited by NiceRack; 11-15-2010 at 1:52 PM. Reason: edited url address
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-15-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I used folding bicycle racks from Lowes less than $10 each. They will hold wake or surf boards
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-15-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
I used a track and shelf system similar to the one below (2) brackets are $10 and the track was around $10, made it for (6) boards total for around $70. Super easy to install, mounted the track to the studs in the wall with three screws on each track, giving me a fully adjustable board rack.

Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-15-2010, 10:08 PM Reply   
Hey Doc, where did you get yours at? I had the same idea but at HD them brackets were straight for shelving and not angled like yours (unless Im looking at that wrong in the pic?) arnt those like 14" or 16" in length?

I do like the nice racks though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I too used the folding bycycle racks from HD that retain around $6-8$ they work very well.
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-16-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
The Rack Doc shown are made by Rubbermaid and can be found in large retail stores like home depot, Rona in canada, Home Hardware i think etc. I used the same thing to make a complete 15 x 15 walk-in for my girlfriend, great stuff and really strong.

Hate n Pain do you have more info or pictures on the rack you are refering to ?
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
They are straight/90 degrees from the wall, at 15 inches there is really no need for them to be at a angel, you could rip a 2x4 and mount the rails on top of it if you wanted them to be at a slight angle.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-16-2010, 4:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatpt View Post
I am wanting to buy or build a fairly inexpensive rack to store wakeboards(4) and surfboards (2) on the wall of the garage? I'm sure someone has tried building one. Any suggestions? Thanks!
This post was from quite some time ago. But since it got brought back up. This is what I ended up with....

Everything has its place. Wakeboards, surfboards, lifejackets, kneeboards, wetsuits, ropes, and even the fishing poles.....

Its kinda funny because I don't' even own any of those surfboards any more....
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-16-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
That looks very nice. I don't understand how the PVC attaches to the 2x4. If you just drilled a hole and stuck it in the hole, what keeps the PVC from rolling over and pointing downward?
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-16-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
That looks very nice. I don't understand how the PVC attaches to the 2x4. If you just drilled a hole and stuck it in the hole, what keeps the PVC from rolling over and pointing downward?
I used 1 inch PVC. There is a 45 deg elbow at the bottom. I drilled a hole in the 2X4 big enough for 1" PVC to fit into. There is a 2 inch piece of PVC (1/2 inch in the elbow and 1 1/2 inches sticking out) that fits into the hole in the PVC. I glued the PVC into the wood with Gorilla glue and then also put a 3 1/2 inch screw through the side of the 2X4 passing though the PVC to hold it in place while the glue dried.

In the very 1st picture in my last post you can see the screws in the side of the wood.

You have to drill the big holes in the wood, then drill the side pilot holes for the 3 1/2 inch screws, then mount the wood on the wall, then glue and screw the arms into place. If you do it backwards the PVC arms get in the way of mounting the wood to the walls.

Hope that helps!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-16-2010, 8:38 PM Reply   
Very nice. I went with the wood dowels into 2x2's. Definitely easier, but probably doesn't look as nice. I love seeing stuff like this except for the fact that everybody's garage looks nicer than mine!
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-17-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
My friends refer to my boat garage as the marine pro shop.....
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-17-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
with all those pipes at 45 degree angle whats the total clearance ? i mean at what distance from the wall the end of the pipe is ? i will guess 24 inches ?
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-17-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by radikal View Post
with all those pipes at 45 degree angle whats the total clearance ? i mean at what distance from the wall the end of the pipe is ? i will guess 24 inches ?
Its been awhile and my memory is not great. But I think the long pieces of PVC are 16 inches long. The elbow sticks out maybe 1 1/2 inches and the 2X4 is 1 1/2 inches. Since the long pieces are on an angle I would guess the total clearance from the wall is 14 to 15 inches. But I will try to remember to measure tonight...
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-19-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Nice work, the angled pvc and 2x4 approach is pretty much the cleanest, cost effective and space saving approach I have ever seen. You can do something similar with dowels, but it is harder to get the angle accurate on both sides... It is likely your boards would have been on flat pvc racks at some point during their construction so they shoudl be right at home.

If you are not a DIYer, then the COR surf racks work well. They tend to be like $30 - $40 wholesale (I think like $70-80 retail), which is nearly cheaper than building them yourself. These are solid wood and finished, so they also make nice racks for inside a house, if you are allowed to have boards in your home..... check out www.rdistributing.com (rainbow distributing). They carry a large array of surfing, kiteboarding, and supin accessories......
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2011, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatpt View Post
I used 1 inch PVC. There is a 45 deg elbow at the bottom. I drilled a hole in the 2X4 big enough for 1" PVC to fit into. There is a 2 inch piece of PVC (1/2 inch in the elbow and 1 1/2 inches sticking out) that fits into the hole in the PVC. I glued the PVC into the wood with Gorilla glue and then also put a 3 1/2 inch screw through the side of the 2X4 passing though the PVC to hold it in place while the glue dried.

In the very 1st picture in my last post you can see the screws in the side of the wood.
Hey bigcatpt-

Question for you regarding the hole you drilled into the 2x ... Did you drill and glue the elbow into the hole? Or did you drill and put a straight 1in PVC piece into the hole and then attach an elbow to that?

I'm trying to do something similar and am having a difficult time engineering a hole that perfectly accepts the o.d. of the elbow (slightly odd outer diameter).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       05-24-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
I used adjustable height shelving and wrapped the brackets in pipe insulation to protect the boards. The whole project cost me $30 and took 20 minutes to install, tops. it hold 2 wakeboards, 5 surfboards, and waterskis.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-24-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
dtc, he explains it above. He puts a 2" piece of 1" PVC into the elbow and that's what slides into the wood.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-25-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
dtc, he explains it above. He puts a 2" piece of 1" PVC into the elbow and that's what slides into the wood.

Yes exactly what he said ^^^^^^^^.

Dtc...sent you a PM
Old     (TheNiceRack)      Join Date: May 2011       05-31-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Here is where you will find the best and least expensive rack.

http://www.thenicerack.com/categories/Home-Storage/