Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 10:31 PM Reply   
These are the three boats I'm looking at. I can't drop the coin for the CC, MC, or BU. The wife likes the v-drive for the comfort and space. I like the 20/21 footers for the towing and garage storage ability. I like to ski and the wife wants to surf. We have small kids, so I'm sure we will be doing everything in between. I know that I will be hard pressed to find a boat that hard core skiers and surfers will think is any good. I'm looking for a jack of a trades, master of none family boat. These three seem to fit the bill. I would like to hear non-bashing HONEST opinions contrasting these three. 45K is my max price. I think I can get a 20V for that, but I'm not sure about the others. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2008, 10:50 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Malibu Response LXI that will sell at the end of the season for about $46.5. Has a manual wedge, titan tower, tower bimini, and Perfectpass Stargazer GPS

Good luck finding a v drive you want to ski behind. I'd be more inclined to buy a V drive and setup easy balast to surf. The RXLI will surf ok with some ppl and the wedge, and should surf great with a little more ballast. Just something to consider.
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 11:09 PM Reply   
I'm a hack, so I don't ski the course anymore. I haven't skied a course since I shredded my knee in college. I realize it won't be a "Stars and Stripes" wake, but I still want to cut every now and then without launching myself like I did on a friend's X15.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-24-2008, 3:05 AM Reply   
Centurion SV216/220 or falcon V will do nicely. They are centruion's new hull that maintains a skiable wake in the 30's, has a nice rampy wakeboard wake, and is surfable with some weight. I don't ski but I am told by those that do and have seen our wake at speed that it is one of the better ones on a 4500lb boat, if you need a stronger pull for skiing you may need the monster motor. the wakeboard wake is mellow but will get big with weight, because of the beam it can be a bit wide to clear W2W at slower speeds but is very clean.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 4:27 AM Reply   
The 20V will have a slightly flatter slalom wake then the Z1, but the Z1 is surfable with out ballast. Both will Ski and surf great. You should be able to get a Z1 with the base fuel injected engine (Marine Power 320 or the PCM if you order an 09), Tandem axle trailer, tower w/swivel racks, bimini, and basic stereo for close to where you need to be.

The depth of the floor and weight make both boats ride great, but the extra beam on the Z1 really makes it seem so much bigger. TAPS, standard on all Tiges, will allow you to clean and adjust the wake for what ever speed and line length your riders is at.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2008, 5:57 AM Reply   
Honest and non-bashing in a boat thread...hmmm. Good luck
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-24-2008, 6:30 AM Reply   
Z1 all day long if you can go with the extra beam. Drive the Tige' and you will know why. I am still looking for a used Tige in my price range. They are an impressive boat for the price. Great multi sport boat maybe the best and probably the best at that price point.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-24-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Tampawake, did you see this boat for sale: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7156

Nice looking boat at a really good price!

Todd, both Tige's would fit the bill. The Z1 should have a better wakeboard wake, but the 20V will have a better slalom wake...decisions decisions!!
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-24-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
The Falcon is a great ski boat. They are in the process of getting it in the awsa. It wake boards great. Takes a little weight for surfing.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-24-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
todd,
you have mentioned 20v... have you looked at the supra 20ssv? Can probably get into your price range as well... nothing against any of the above mentioned boats, but definitely take a look at that one too....
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
Falcon has already been approved by awsa. If you think you're going to be doing a lot of wakesurfing though, you may want to consider the other Centurion models with v hulls.
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-24-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Bang for the buck go with the Moomba you will not be sorry. Great wakeboard wake. I made the jump and would not go with another boat for the money. Same quality as the Supra minus the bells and whistles. Go to the Moomba discussion board and ask people what the think of Moomba it seems everyone is happy with their "budget Boat". I don't ski but have looked behind my boat without ballast at faster speeds and it seems to flatten out well.
Old     (175xt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
20V vs Z1, no contest!! The ONLY thing the Z1 has over the 20v is looks. The 20V has a much better fit/finish, seats are 10X nicer, better storage, and better instrument panel. The Z1 doesn't even have a depth finder. BTW, you CAN surf a 20V without ballast, and the ski wake is as good as some i-drives I've riden.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-24-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
I've got the Moomba LSV and it's a great boat, especially for the money. It throws a killer wake for surfing and wakeboarding. I don't ski so I can't comment on that. You can get one in your price range and the quality is right on par with the other boats. Go test drive them all and see what fits you the best.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
Brian,

The Depth Finder is available in the Z1, BTW

Didn't mean to imply that the 20V cant be surfed with out ballast, just haven't done it.

I agree on the ski wake, the 96" beam makes a huge diff, but I like the room of the 100" as I'm not a hardcore plank'r.
Old     (shane97210)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-24-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have a Moomba LSV and the ski wake is pretty good at 30mph and up. No spray. Also wakeboard and surf wakes are great with a lot of weight. Bang for the buck i have been happy for an all around boat.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-24-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I think you are best to go with Moomba LSV... newer hull though... something I think 07 or newer is their newer hull... you get all the bells and whistles of the Supra... at a lower cost...

I have a Supreme V220... which is more wakeboard friendly... but is skiable...

Also... You didnt put the Sanger in there... D215... excellent all around boat!

Another great boat for both sports.. but it is direct drive also... Svfara SV609....
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-24-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Another vote for the LSV... good sized boat, will fit in a garage, V drive, can be had pretty loaded out for $45k OTD. They have great wakes too, and if you get a pair of 750 sacs, you can surf the hell out of it and also use them for wakeboarding. Get the wakeboard prop though, worth it's weight in gold.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-24-2008, 2:26 PM Reply   
Falcon has a 102" beam, AWSA approved, AND snap-out carpet. Beam and carpet were a biggie for me and I went with a bigger Cent. Good luck.
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Wow!!

Just the responses I was looking for! I didn't mention Sanger or Svfara because we don't have a dealer in a reasonable distance. I'm really into the research phase right now, so it sounds like I have some test drives to do! Talk about a kid in a candy store! It sounds like Tige, FalconV, SupraSSV and the Moomba will def. be in the running. Thanks for all the responses. BTW, I know that people say a dealer can make or break a boat and I know at least 3 people that swear by our area Tige dealer. Alot of MC owners take their boat to him when the warranty is up on them. So that says alot.
Thanks again everyone.

Todd
Old     (dooski)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-24-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
I have a 20SSV, really wanted a d drive as I was a skier first and border/surfer last. The wife wanted the extra room so I compromised and got the v drive, the wake seemed decent on the test drives so I thought what the heck. I only free ski now but once you've been spoiled by a d drive there's no compromise, I don't enjoy skiing behind the SSV so I surf and board more now, if I want to ski I get a tow from friends Prostar's or Response's.

The wake does get nice and flat on the SSV at 35 but I'm too old for that anymore. It's better than skiing a I/O but not a whole lot.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-24-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
You should add/think a little about the Sanger line also.
Old     (175xt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
I would totally agree with the Dealer comment. I hadn't really even considered Tige until I met my local dealer. Every boat is going to have an issue at one time or another, you need to have a dealer you can count on!
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-25-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
I want to make a plug for the hurricane. It is a real good all around boat. because it is a narrow hull, it sinks easily so wake and surf are pretty good....you don't need a ton of weight. As for ski, if you get one with the hydraulic wake plate...you can go from wake to ski pretty easy and get a decent ski wake. It has a pretty deep freeboard so it feels safe for kids (even in the bow), It handles rough water pretty well, has good storage, plus it won't kill your pocket book if you buy a 3 or 4 year old boat. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Dont forget about the Moomba Outback V. If weighted properly it throws a mean wake
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
We throw 2 350's (port locker and mid floor) plus the factory ballast in our Falcon for surfing.

Nice rampy wake with the factory ballast, the other family we go with has an X2 and everyone seems to gravitate to the Falcon for boarding (they only have 10 hrs so we are still playing with the ballast/speeds on the X2)

The wake is really wide at slower speeds (16-18mph) so we seem to have to pull at at least 20 mph for our beginers to go W2W

I had the Bennett hyd trim tab put on my Falcon (600$ option) to help with the slalom wake and it helps. As far a skiing goes, its no D drive but its respectable once you get above 30 mph.

Beginers skiing at slower speeds will still find it better than an I/O

When I bought mine it came down the the Malibu VTX and the Falcon (once I loaded up the Falcon with options there wasn't much of a price difference) I still wish I got a chance to ski behind the VTX's Diamond cut hull just because I have heard such good things about it.

Zap
Old     (icedog10)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-25-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
Do you have to buy new? There are a lot of great boats out there for under 45K if you let the previous owner take the depreciation. You could get an X1 or SV211 for about 45K with about 100 hours if you look around. I have also skied behind a 20V and it does have a great wake. Make sure your rig will tow it because Tiges are heaver than other boats.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-25-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Brent is right

Mine goes for sale July 21st
Old     (brownclown)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-25-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
I have an '02 Suburban, so no problems with towing. We looked at the X-1s and the wife didn't like it. Obviously, no go there! I look at used boats everyday online. I would prefer new, but I keep my options open. I just haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet. I'm not in any particular rush anyway.
Old     (icedog10)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
I hear where you are coming from. My wife wanted an X30 or the 22SSV but I could not justify the cost. I spent months looking online and just wore her down and we settled on a 2000 Prostar 205V for 24k and I am putting the tower on now and will put in ballast next year. When all is said and done I will have less than 30 in the boat. My wife now forgets what it was she didn't like about the X1. With gas prices the way they are, there will be a lot of deals new or used.