Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    ScottRobinson            05-18-2011, 7:32 AM Reply   
Hey I know you two guys love surfing and thought I would just open the flood gates and ask you a question. I am ready to find a surf board that I can learn on. I have two boards already (Landlock and Darrin Shapiro Slaysh) I ride the Landlock and love it but it is just a cruiser. I want to learn some tricks, especially 360s. So my question is this. Do I try to ride the Shapiro Slaysh board and learn with it? It seems really really bouant and just doesn't ride really well. It just isnt' fast and won't seem to stay in the pocket. I can ride my landlock for hours and be fine but of course not going to progress on that board.

So thoughts on what to do...oh and I would want to stay around $400 at most .....damper I know but would want to sell the slaysh if I need to put more money into a board. Thanks...

James- what board is it you ride? You have your own signature board?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-18-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
I just watched a video of a dude on a Slaysh killin' it. You should just learn your tricks on that board and demo as many advanced boards as you can so YOU know what board is best for you.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-18-2011, 9:24 AM Reply   
here is the best reviews I have found on a bunch of boards by regular people. Wake9 also had a demo weekend last year that covered a lot of boards as well. I believe they have a great write up at Wake9.com

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.p...oard-you-surf/

Also, I would not be afraid to buy a used board. Centurion Crew generally has a used board or two for sale.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-18-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
The write up from our last demo weekend is here:

http://wake9.com/polar-bear-2010/

We are going to have a ton of boards available to demo on Friday 5/20 at Camp Far West. Everybody would have their recommendations, including us, but you never know what really suits you until you ride. The Walker Project and Shredstixx are 2 great examples. Its like Ford and Chevy to many people. I see some ride one and feel it just fits, and the other awkward. The opposite is true for the next one. It just depends what style fits you.

My son Thomas loves his new Shredstixx Nano, and yet Maddie still prefers her custom 4.0 TWP Signature model. If you can, get to an event and demo some boards. Sorry you are not closer, we are having an event this weekend, and demoing a bunch of boards on Friday 5/21 at Camp Far West lake. We actually had someone come from Indiana to the polar bear event, and Idaho, and AZ. You just can't beat getting to ride a bunch of boards, not to mention the fun of meeting lots of other likeminded wakesurfers.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-19-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
Yeah being in Indiana my ride time is about 4 months. I am not a die hard cold water guy so 4 is stretching it. I am heading to get my new 2012 Epic 23V in 4 days. Just sold my 2011 Epic 23V and loved it. Anyway, I will try the boards I have, but just think I am going to have to step up to a Walker or something soon. I will read your reviews. Thanks! any other imput would be great. I know I can't demo anything cuz of where I am at so I just have to read and take a shot. Thanks
Old    ScottRobinson            05-19-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Wow lots of info there on the Centurion crew link. I am going to have to sift through alot of stuff. Guess work can wait!!! gotta love computers at work!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-19-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
If you gave me enough lead time I am sure we could setup a demo if you ever made it out here, just let me know. We don't sell anything, but have several demo boards, and then can get others through CMS or TWP. Then if you like something you can buy through CMS.

This economy has been tough, so always willing to help out a good local shop.