Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-20-2011, 4:18 PM Reply   
I own a Ronix cortez ( which i got for free when i bought my boat ), I have only been riding for a few weeks but feel like i need a more advanced board. I have ridden a buddies shredd stixx and another friends asc ( which i think i liked better then the shredd stixx ). Any other suggestions on surf boards? I am 5-10 and 200 lbs, and surf behind a 2011 rzr.
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-20-2011, 5:56 PM Reply   
shredstix jamaco
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2011, 6:11 PM Reply   
2x the ja mako. Or something like a inland blue lake etc.... You are right on the edge of a custom hazen from shred stixx.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2011, 10:38 PM Reply   
There is no Ja Mako for 2011. Just the Hazen, Thresher, Piranha, and Nano.
The piranha would be the only stock Shred Stixx your size. That board works so well for a lot of people. And the new 5 fin option is great because you can ride it as a twin, thruster, or quad.

Otherwise I would recommend the Walker Project F-18 4'10 or Convert 4'10". The Convert is new for 2011 as is more ocean inspired. The F-18 is one of the most popular boards though. I havent heard a bad thing about it.

I would recommend a Blue Lake if you already feel like you need a higher performance board. Also the 2011 Blue Lake will be the same price as a US made Walker Project and the Blue Lake is more of a beginner/intermediate board.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-21-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Join the Centurioncrew their is a crew deal on new blemished 2011 mucus and squirt both are nice boards and the price can not be beat I personally would go for the mucus.If your interested you better hurry quantities are very limited................................H
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-21-2011, 11:27 PM Reply   
ASC is the only way forward. Ja Mako = china board jus like the Ronix
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2011, 12:10 AM Reply   
which shred stixx did you ride? Go get a custom board from shredstixx
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-22-2011, 2:23 AM Reply   
700 bux for a custom. Stixx with no special construction methods to make it worth the money
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-22-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
We love shredstyxx but Brian is right I bought the wife a Rebeca Ort Pro model last year and when it arrived there was a sticker on it that said made in china.My inland boards that I have bought also had made in china stickers on them as well.The only board I have bought that did not have a made in china sticker is my phase five carbon Drew but for all I know it could be made there as well.We love all our boards but believe with them being made in china they should definitely not sell for as much as they do.
Attached Images

Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-22-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
FWIW, no made in china (or elsewhere in Asia) stickers on my new IS Mucus
Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-22-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
@ brian i have searched everywhere for asc and cant find a website or number to call. I am a very impulsive buyer adn want a board now, something i can ride this sunday.

I heard inland surfer was good but i dont want to buy a board i cant see touch and feel before i buy it, and i dont know of anyone that has one. I dont think anyone in austin carries them?
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
Look for the Lake Wakes Boards. They are made in the US (Atlanta) and they are priced right. Each one is hand made and can be somewhat custom with your own art work if needed. Great boards and I ride one, so does the wife. I think there are about 3 or 4 different boards to choose from but you have a lot of differnet fin configurations. Fins help define the board to your style of riding. Check them out!
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-22-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by leboeuf45 View Post
@ brian i have searched everywhere for asc and cant find a website or number to call. I am a very impulsive buyer adn want a board now, something i can ride this sunday.

I heard inland surfer was good but i dont want to buy a board i cant see touch and feel before i buy it, and i dont know of anyone that has one. I dont think anyone in austin carries them?
Chris - you rode MY BOARD!! I'll get your number from Brent and call you in a bit.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-22-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
i just talked with billy and he is about 8 days out. dont rush it, its worth the wait.
Old    surfdad            04-22-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
@ Brian, Is Billy Clark shaping again under his ASC label?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Shred Stixx customs are amazing. Lots of boards are great though, buy used or demo if you can. I believe shred stixx are all made in the US now. I didn't know they cut the ja mako out of the lineup. That is interesting.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-22-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
Shred Stixx (except customs) and Inland Surfer may be made in China but the shapes and R&D that go into each board is way beyond that of Ronix. They are focused on wakesurfing and make a great product no matter where it is made. US shapers can not build the quantity that they need for the price customers are willing to pay. Thats why brands like the Walker Project have 5 week wait times even though they make far less boards.

Phase 5 is built in Venice, Florida.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
They may have recently switched to all USA. Their website says something about it. But honestly if you can you should demo. Each person has their own style they like.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-22-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
@Jeff - yes billy is shaping under ASC. its more of a grassroots local type deal though. i dont think he would ever go the china route. his batches are small and are mainly sold to local austinites for the most part.

i have ridden both hazen customs and asc customs - both are very different. the asc is much faster and has a very loose feel. hazens i surfed were much slower but very planted. for me the ASC works better but too each their own. both are nice boards in my opinion.

Last edited by factorykitted; 04-22-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-22-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Chris where are you located?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
the jamoka was a river surfer tho, go get a thresher, its similar shape to the jamako and is a wakesurfer. you can get a thresher elevation now too
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Joey C, the Ja Mako was a wakesurf board. It was similar to the Thresher but just for bigger guys. The new Piranha took the place of the Ja Mako.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
Joey C, the Ja Mako was a wakesurf board. It was similar to the Thresher but just for bigger guys. The new Piranha took the place of the Ja Mako.
oh my bad. I was almost positive that i read it was a "river surfer" oh well. I am continually proven wrong hahaha.
Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-23-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Told you i was impulsive, i bought a shred stixx elevation today. New but a 2010 so i got a decent deal, listed at 799.00 and i got it for 599.00.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
i love mine man, If you get bored with the colors like i did, i can dig up my thread on dyeing the fins! i did mine blue and its sick!
Old    kayjayfech            04-26-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
I have been riding an Obrien Alias and just went to the Hyperlite Coex, it has a more surf feel to it and it can hop off the top of the wave pretty sweet
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-28-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
I second that the Phase Five is made in Venice Florida. I have been to the factory. I own one and think it is a great board.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
whats my best bet (most advanced board possible) say for a budget of 400$