Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (11OutbackV)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-16-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
I have read several threads and comments from others on modifying the swim platform to make the shape of the wake better. I never really heard a final answer as to weather it really was an advantage or not. Well I was bored the other day and dida mod to the platform. I screwed up and never took pics or video of the wake before hand so I cant answer how much advantage it made.

Here are the pics:

Old    coojac            09-20-2016, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hi Todd,
I have spent countless hours scouring the web for a way to get rid of the lip on my platform. You have the answer I am looking for. I want to do something very similar to this, but I know nothing about fiberglass work. Can you guide me through the steps, and material used as to how you did this modification? Did it make a difference in getting rid of the spray coming off the corners of the platform lip? I would love as much information as possible. I am sure there are alot of others who would be very interested in how this project was completed also. Thank you. Jacob
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2016, 10:43 AM Reply   
Dude, this thread is 5 years old.lol.

You can fill the lip like above. Some have cut it off altogether. Some have cut the sides of the platform itself to make the whole thing narrower. There are two issues. The lip can cause put a swirl up through the wave but the width usually also cuts in the side when listed hence making the whole thing narrower. If you want to see what your effects are prior to cutting or filling anything make a platform out of plywood and test it. You'll know your results without doing irreversible damage potentially.
Old    coojac            09-20-2016, 11:26 AM Reply   
Dave,
I am fully aware of the age on the original thread, and know that there is a chance I will not receive an answer. However, this is hands down the best solution I have seen, and certainly the cleanest when completed. I have priced out new platforms (no thanks). I have asked a fabricator in Denver to do this for me ($750, no thanks) and I have thought about a flap but don't want all the extra weight hanging on the platform and I don't want any interference with trailer lights, so this is not my first choice either. Lastly, baed on other forums I was searchign, I pulled the platform off and made a 3/4" plywood platform following the exact layout of the platform, and tested it on the water. That worked well, the wake face was much cleaner and you can actually surf without wiping your face every 15 seconds. Kids love it much better. So, I come back to filling in the bottom with a foam filler and fiberglass mat. It looks good, and is low cost, just needs some love and elbow grease. Hence why I am hoping to get some information pertaining to this project. Thanks for keeping my in line! JC
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-20-2016, 11:44 AM Reply   
Gear down big rig. Just teasing.

Have you searched: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/forum.php

Otherwise your basic bondo and fiber glassing tutorials/youtube videos would be helpful I'm sure.

I have an 09 22ve and have been debating on making a plywood one over the winter to see if that helps. Again, I've seen guys just cut the underside lip of and refinish the edge.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-20-2016, 12:40 PM Reply   
Would raising the platform a few inches with some spacers between the platform and the brackets get you out of the water? Seems easier that either filling in or making a new platform, and if you can get it out of the wave altogether, should be better off. The flip-side, is it makes it harder to get on the platform, for little kids especially.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-20-2016, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by coojac View Post
However, this is hands down the best solution I have seen, and certainly the cleanest when completed.
I would tend to disagree that it's best because it only addresses ONE of the two issues. Sure if your ONLY problem is the lip that's cutting into the wave, the above solution addresses it. However as was also mentioned above, the width also has an impact.

This is why the companies that make "surf platforms" (like Supra and Moomba) have not only made the bottom smooth but they have also changed the shape to make it narrower.

Most of the people on the Moomba forum that have done surf platforms have done it out of HDPE and glued hydroturf on the top of it. It's remarkably simple. HDPE is as easy to work with as plywood. I think I was into my aftermarket platform somewhere around $100 to $150.

I even had some stainless grab handles laying around that I put on my platform.

And yes, spacers can work, but depending on how much you slam your boat, it might not be enough, and yes it can make getting back on the platform more difficult.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-21-2016, 8:29 AM Reply   
I lifted AND cut mine. Mine was teak so it was easier to work with than fiberglass. doing both was the answer for me