Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-07-2011, 6:02 PM Reply   
Hello All

Can anyone give me some advise on how to weight my 2004 direct Drive Supra Launch?

I have posted this everywhere and can't get any good intel.

I have Stock:
750 in front under the crawl through
300 ( I think) under rear bench

Additional Bags

Last year we tried full stock bags with 650 on the floor next to the Motor cover. 400 in rear ski locker. And 400 in the front play pen. We got a wave that was OK. We are able to surf it fine but I know there has to be a better set up. The boat is a 22 footer. I have a friend that had a 21 that was killing my wave. Only difference is that he has a v drive with a 4 blade prop. I know the v-drive is better for surfing but there has to be a way to make mine comparable...

Come on guys.... HELP Please. All the beer you can drink , tomorrow if you can help!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-08-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Your hull is very finicky on ride attitude. Get a carpenter's angle indicator (gravity type, round gauge) and play with the bow/stern ride attitude until you get the right shape. You now know the proper ride attitude (angle). Then, add weight and maintain the ride attitude for best shape. Also, if you bias too much to one side, your top will wash out. The hull likes to be leveler side to side than most.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-08-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
No real idea for weight but having a DD myself I find driving in circles provides a cleaner wave then driving straight.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-10-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
Karl

Wow. That's a pretty damn technical response. I'm very intrigued though. I will have to give that a shot.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-11-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
No need to drive in circles, I'm sure someone in here surfs a boat like yours. Hopefully someone will steer you the right direction. Put at least 60% of your weight in the back corner you surf on, 30% mid ship (side you surf on) and 10% weight up front in the bow (side you surf on). You should be able to throw a godd ridable wave with that configuration. I would set it up like this, Keep in mind I dont have a Supra, but this is what I would try.
Rear corner locker 750# sac, Mid ship 400# sac, and the 300# sac in the bow, all on the side you are surfing. Also if you have a center ballast, fill it all the way. Good luck, and happy surfing, and PLEASE don't drive in circles. That does nothing but wash out the lake.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-11-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
oh yea and make all the passengers sit on the surf side also.You the can make people move around how you like to dial in the perfect wave!!
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-11-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yeah - Karl really knows his stuff.

Regardless of the amount of weight you use, the biggest thing (IMO) is placement. Don't stop moving your weight around until you have the weight you want. You can buy some smaller bags from Karl that are mobile, like the Brick, it's a 150 lb bag that is super durable and can be easily moved. I have a couple that allow me to shape the wake easily on the fly, regardless of people.
You will be amazed what moving 150 lbs 3 feet could do to the wake...

http://boarditup.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=244&catid=21
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-16-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
The V-drive has 800 # above the prop and you have it ahead of the prop. Add more rear weight with a D-drive than a V. Nate's idea of the Fat Bricks is a useful one. I've got three on mine and they sure save time compared to convincing some relative to sit somewhere else.
That's a great idea on the angle gauge Karl. I'm going to try that this summer. (Of course the trim tab can make a quick change.) My iPhones got an app for that.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-28-2011, 6:15 PM Reply   
Sorry for the slow response guys and thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I haven't tried the 650 in the back yet. I did try the 400 in the back and the 650 on the side and the 2 stock bags full. I got a ridable wave but not what I am satisfied with. A buddy of mine had a 21' that was killing my wave. I know I can get the size he had ....just got to figure it out. I will try swapping the big bag to the rear and the 400 to the side. Lets hope that will help. I will also try to round up some 150's.

Any other suggestions???