Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
I JUST STARTED WAKESURFING AND I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IN SKIM AND SURF STYLE IS. ALSO I READ ABOUT THE DARKSIDE OF THE WAKE WHAT DOES THIS MEAN. IS IT A BAD AREA ON THE WAKE. I KNOW STUFF ABOUT SKATEBOARDING BUT NOT WAKESURFING. ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT???
Old    surfdad            04-01-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
Welcome John,

The Darkside is just a nickname for the starboard side of the boat. Oft times people would refer to it as the goofy side or the backside, but technically those can be either side of the wake...so just out of fun, we coined the regular side (port) and the darkside (starboard). :-)

There are generally three distinct styles or types of boards recognized. Surf, Skim and Longboard. Longboard is easily recognized by a style that accentuates noseriding and walking the board.

Surf style is most easily recognized by boards with deep multiple fins that are ridden in a style that emphasizes carving and aerial manuvers. Typical construction is of EPS and Epoxy these days, or of Polyurethane and Polyester in the past. These boards are typifed by being somewhat thick - typically in excess of 1.5"

Skim style boards typically have a single outline: that of a pintail, and the nose closely resembles the tail. The most common configuration is a single very shallow trailing fin. These boards tend to be fairly thin in relative comparison to the other two styles mentioned. One of the defining tricks of riding skim style (and this is an over simplification) is a shuv, where the board is then ridden revert (fin first).
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
I saw some video of Drew Danielo riding a phase 5 with 2 fins that appeared to be about 2.5'" to 3" in size and he was doing surf style carving as well as 360 i think a 720 spin and countless numbers of shuv-it combinations. Then when he climbed on the back of the boat the board was about chin high on him. Much larger than that of a skimboard. what would this type be considered?
Old    surfdad            04-01-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
You seem to exhibit a deeper knowledge of the sport than in the first post where you question the differences and then being able to knowledgably differentiate length in this most recent post.

Drew is an exceptional rider, truly talented. The twin fin boards like what you are describing, the TWP Comp X and the Walzer Alpha are commonly referred to as Hybrid's.

Is there someplace you wish to go with this dialog John? I sense that there is.
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-01-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
jeff

I am not trying to go anywhere with this just getting some info. On what you told me, I was confused with what this board would be. It was a phase 5 but it did have 2 large fins. I have done some research and from what i have read phase 5 is a skim style company? I was just curious if you knew what this board that did both would be considered. I don't know what makes you think i am pushing this to some direction just trying to get some info on what I have read about and what I saw on video's. I apologize for any inconvenience.
Old    surfdad            04-01-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
No need to apologize, I am glad we don't have any misunderstanding. Glaspro Inc (sp?) manufactures Zap Skimboards and also the Phase 5 brand of wakesurf boards. If you combine both brands I am sure that they are the largest independent manufacturer and come from a predominant skimboard background. I have yet to see any of the '08 offerings but I have heard there are significant innovations and if I am not mistaken, this twin fin configuration.

I would think the board you describe would allow folks that prefer to ride more "surf style" and wish to own a P5, the perfect answer...without restricting the ability to do tricks more typically associated with pure skim style.

If you see the video again, you'll have to share the title or a URL.
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Hi Jeff you seem to have a ton of knowledge with respect to wakesurfing.

What do you suggest for an all around beginer board for riders 150-190 lbs.

And what about 60-100 lbs
Old    surfdad            04-03-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the compliment - I would guess I have a ton of BOARD and contest specific knowledge not so much boats or ballasting. In the interest of appropriate disclosure, I organize contests and I solicit board and product donations from anyone with a heartbeat :-) None of the large 3 manufacturers have ever given contests I organize so much as the time of day.

With that - I REALLY like the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" as a first choice board for folks in that 180+ range. There is a phnomenon when you are first learning that you typically need a board that is LONGER during the first year, than you will ever need again. Using myself as an example, I currently ride a board that is in the 4'6" range, but during my first year, I literally couldn't ride a board less than 5'10".

The bigger broadcast offers a number of benefits for newbies. Literally they are everywhere, Hyperlite has incredible distribution channels. They are exceptionally affordable...I've seen them online for less than $300. They are built like a wakeboard - needless to say they are heavy, but the robust construction lends itself well to first timers. No presure dents and it will sit a bit lower in the water making mastering getting up somewhat easier for certain folks. It has a good FULL EVA traction that's pretty easy on the feet. As you master the board, it does have some limited fin adjustments...so you can remove the trailing fin to loosen up the feel. It should fit in a standard wakeboard rack and because it has some longevity it can be sold the following year. Personally I think it's a good value. I'd also look into a used one.

There are certainly other boards from other manufacturers. You'll want to aim for that 5'6" range for folks in that 180 pound newbie category.

The 60 - 100 pound category may be a bit tougher. Are we talking kids? My lovely wife Judy is very petite...standing 4'11" and around 100 pounds. Boards longer than 4'6" are just more than she needs. I've found that for youngsters one of the biggest problems for them is getting up. They struggle a bit with flipping the board up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the old wooden Trick Boardz for this. They were heavy and became almost neutrally bouyant in the water. Making it very easy for the kids to flip them up. I have seen some smaller kids specific boards from Billy over at Austin Surf Company, but I have yet to teach anyone on them. What I like to use for newbie kids is the smallest heaviest skim style board, if the Trick Boardz isn't available. Mostly I like the weight factor. It allows them to sink the trailing rail upon starting and the extra weight tends to cause the board to remain "stationary" as they learn to get up and stay with the pocket.

Phase 5 Icon, if you can find an older wooden Trick boardz snatch that, and I have had some luck with 5'0" or less molded boards from the Big Manufacturers for folks in the 100 pound range.

My rule of thumb is smaller/heavier for the kids and you can get by with the larger molded boards like the broadcast I mentioned above for lightweight/petite adults. Again, that first year of riding, bigger is a better choice than smaller. Then once you have some mileage under your belt, you'll be able to step down.

Hope that helps - keep us posted, please!
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-03-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
That was alot of help. I have a few questions. It seems alot of people like The IS )inland surfer) i think as well as the phase 5. From what i have read it sounds like phase 5 is a board that is alot faster than most. also with there drew danielo pro model it says that there XL can have a rider weight upto 220lbs. That is nice for a board that is only 57". Also why would a younger lighter person want a board that is heavier. That didn't make since to me. wouldn't they have more trouble doing manuveurs. i come from skateboarding and I have tried skimming and I see kids at the beach on skimboards that way like 3lbs? why would they want a heavier board.
Old    surfdad            04-03-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Really interesting the amount of Phase 5 info you have John.

I probably wasn't clear in my narrative, thanks for bringing that point up d...errr John. When we have been teaching newbie kids - I mean first time folks, the one area that we have consistently found was problematic and this is for 50-60 pounders, was getting the board flipped up. When the board was more neutrally bouyant - where it sort of would allow the little ones to just touch the trailing rail and allow it to sink...it was much easier for them to manage the rest of the process. That's what's worked best for us. Knowing that you are BRAND NEW and just started wakesurfing, hopefully you'll share your insights as you progress too.
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-03-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Well I am confused on the d...errr???? And thought you ment as far as riding a heavier board is better for a smaller person. I misunderstood thank you for explaining. I have knowledge of phase 5 because I grew up in Venice which is where Zap skimboards and Phase5 are made. I have spoken with Drew Danielo At his shop a few times as well as some of the owners sons at the beach. This where my knowledge comes from./ This is also why I am trying learn about other boards to see what is going to be the best to buy.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-04-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Nice call Jeff. I think you might be right on the d...errr.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-04-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
The broadcast 4'9" makes a good beginner board. My 50 lbs daughter learned easily with this board. We've also taught riders over 200 lbs on this board. You can usually find good deals on this board and it fits in most racks. The downside to this board is you can out grow this board quickly.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-04-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
John I think what they are trying to say is that they think your are me. You do seem to have some knowledge of phase 5 and stuff and it did seem weird because you said you were newer to the sport but seemed to know alot. Hope you get everything answered that your looking for.
Old     (new_surfer)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-04-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Oh i get it. well sorry for the misunderstanding. and i guess maybe newbie isn't the right word. Maybe newer but with some knowledge. Drew do you guys sell anything beside the smaller "skim" wakesurfers.