Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-09-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
One of my friends says I am 57 going on 19. How many guys my age want a new wakeboard for their birthday?

I started riding 5 years ago and stunk it up and almost never rode because I was wakesurfing. Last fall my board was stolen and I got a new board and for some reason I seemed to get better. My much younger buddy, he's 36, started to board more with me and we both have improved greatly. In the last 6 weeks I have finally gone w2w toeside, real close switch heelside w2w and landed 8 blind 180's this past week. I am also trying to add grabs to my tricks and I am even thinking about an invert one of these days.

Think young and hope your body responds
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
Plus one to the list or almost.

Turned 46 on Fathers day this year. I competed in slalom and jump many years ago. Started wake boarding about 3 years ago and competed in my first wake tournament a couple of weeks ago. I'm having a blast. I push my kids and they push me.

What a GREAT FAMILY sport!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-09-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
Frank, I do not know where they will be yet... not sure if the WWA knows.... Hope we all can go!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-09-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
WOW awesome post- I am only 43 as of yesterday- i feel like a pup! I ride with 20 somethings all of the time and while I can only do a few things - i can land inverts and spins - i have a lot of fun. my profile pic was last labor day and YES I landed the roll!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Dug up some video of me at 50 and made a 2 min video. No fancy editing, but I took out the embarrassing stuff :-). Craig Butinsky invited me to ride behind his boat. Awesome wake. At the end I attempt my only front flips I've tried behind a boat. I could land them off the ramp at the cable.

www.panelmagic.com/files/wbat50.wmv
Old    kidrik            07-09-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
^^^John, that's bad azz! I love the comments from the boat!
Old     (raynegrl)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Dennie - I will definitely take u up on your offer if I'm ever out your way!! You two sound like fun people to hang out/ride with :-)

Was at our local sport/board shop and they said they are no longer carrying a lot of women's boards/bindings cuz not a lot of women ride, even younger women apparently. Sad!! This is SUCH a fun sport and boating/boarding seem like such great family activities. Too expensive, I guess??
Old     (dav51lin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-09-2009, 10:15 PM Reply   
58 and still boarding.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 1:20 AM Reply   
Jules,
What young girl wouldn't want to ride, all my daughters do, I mean you got Rays, Boys, Water, Boys, more boys and.... They must be busy doing something else, they just don't know what they are missing but you're right it aint a cheap sport.

Yeah that kinda stinks about the product, The girls need their own rides. We have four gals that ride with us and they don't want to ride a "dudes" board, well except for the Player, they dig that for some reason.
My daughter also rides a LF Diva and my future daughter in law rides a Hyperlite Eden and her sister rides a "Hoochy Mama", actually its an Icon SuperModel but the graphic of the board looks like a Hoochy Mama and if you'll forgive me for saying so,...it rides real loose also so,.... that's what we call it. Here it is:

Upload
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-10-2009, 2:52 AM Reply   
Will5150, that's all I ride with is 20 somethings. I think they let me go as assurance that you're still able to function at 50. John, killer riding for one of us old farts. Very nice.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-10-2009, 5:24 AM Reply   
O.K. guys, here's a classic contrast, is older better?....HELL YA!...here's shots of my first Back rolls and Raley attempts back in '93..and now..notice the following; '93;- Directional 2 ton Shapiro board, scketchy bindings, Neon wetty, Mullet, 55' stretch trick line, no tower, Pro-star 190, no sacks = no wake!= Concussions, stitches, blown ACl's....2009;- New knees, new equipment, Wake-specific boats,Bag 'o tricks too long to list...Fine wine baby!...We all ROCK!!!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    star_star            07-10-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
wow
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Dennie, Go Navy !! I've got 2 brothers retired (30 years each and both Master Chiefs)from the Navy. I struggled through USMC myself but didn't last till retirement. You're not that far away and I love Bull Shoals, May have to take a road trip.
Michele' is a converted slalom skier but likes the board too. Keep on keepin' on !!!
Old Guys Rule !!
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
And John, Bad Ass riding man that's too cool. I still get excited over a good high popped W2W ! I've got some work to do.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Thanks Fred. With a wake like behind that boat you can't help but go up.

I've been struggling with my boat, which is a regular Ski Nautique. The kind that's great for slalom but not wakeboarding. It's been sitting unused for a couple years, but I just taught my wife to drive a few weeks ago and have been using it. It's been almost all cable riding for the last 10 years.

I've got it weighted with fat sacs and had been trying to use a 75 line, but the wake disappears when I get it up to speed. Last night I decided to shorten the rope to 65' and slow it down. Now the wake is at least useable. The problem is that it doesn't have a good enough wake to practice for a tournament. It takes me at least a run behind a boat with a decent wake to get the hang of it.

GURU, I've still got one of those directional boards in the shed. A Connelly Bladerunner. I never looked like that on it. I did learn a 360 riding it before I moved on. It has swivel sandal bindings on it.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
I learned to wakebaord at 38 and just turned 40 so im still learning.I have no real skills but I enjoy to get out and do what i can and watch guys who can kill it.So I am glad to see it can still be done at 50+.We have a customer that is in his 70's and still rides.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
52 and just wakeskate, surf and skyski now. I suck but have fun.

Damn Fred, your GF is almost as old as Joe.........
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-10-2009, 6:15 PM Reply   
Another 52 yo, learned the Scarecrow this year, last year BR and Tantrum. Takes longer to recover I've noticed lately. Rode with Parks last mos in the local Ronix ride, he said " I hope I can take crashes like that when I'm your age" (was working on the TS BR).
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 6:17 PM Reply   
Guru2,
You got to be kidding me, I aint never seen one of those old Shapiro boards inverted before. I would really like to know how the landing went with that Bad Boy, on the picture you posted. I have an old HO XP that looks just like it, it has a pair of "Bad Ass" bindings attached, wait a minute!,... Hmmmmm,...... I think those Bad Ass bindings might belong to you!

Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-10-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Classic Denny!..Damn that board looks sweet w/ those "BA" bindings!..Got that board too..Got a collection of about 20 diff. boards from back in the day 'til now. About that landing, The raley attempt in that pic ended in 5 stitiches in the chin and a snapped vertebrae (Felt like it anyhow)..still kept commin back for more. Wanted that trick soo baaad!.There was no one to teach us how those tricks were done. Saw a pic and Fu$#%in went for it!. Kids don't know how sweet they got it,camps, coaches, Instruct Vids. We were literally test pilots. Eventually I put out my own instuctional VHS vid called, of all things "Ski Boarding made easy"..You can still get it your local Library. Sooo many stories to tell, been doin this Sh^%%^T forever. LOve it just as much now as then. Be so much fun to hook up and ride sometime.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-10-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Forgot a pic of the now "Classic" cover..laugh with me!Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
DAYEMM! Guru2!

You must be freakin bullet proof Holmes!
I just aint never, ever seen one of those Old boards jammed up like that!

You got me whooped on the number of boards too, I aint got but about 15. Got an old Twin Baff to go along with that XP and an old Hyperlite Offshore. Those are mostly wall ornaments hanging in my Wake Shack but I still like having them around, I just think they are cool, wouldn't get rid of them for nothing.

(By the way, what is that rascal hanging on the wall in your profile pic? That's a beautiful board/bindings.)

The rest of my boards are fairly modern. I mostly ride an 07 Era, Ronix 1, 08 Natural and I still like to ride a 2001 LF Rhythm and when the water is absolute glass I play around with a Roam.

Guru2, You are a true pioneer my man! We all have dudes like you to thank for what we take for granted in this sport,.. thanks man.

"Ski Boarding made easy" that's pretty smooth!
I'm gonna see if I can find me one of those tapes.

That would be cool to hook up with you sometime and "Ride MAO till my ankle barked at me" (grin)

I think we all need to hook up somewhere in the middle of the country, ya know what I'm saying?

I was thinking maybe,.....Hmmmmm,...
Bull Shoals Baby! near Mountain Home Arkansas!

We could do something like, throw our own "Geezer" Tournament! That would be a hoot!
Give all the proceeds to fight children's cancer or another worthy cause.

Get some local/national press/advertisers, have some of the "younger" Pros do the judging, you know some of the "PUPS", Like:
Murray, Gator, Byerly, Harris, Collin Wright, Schwenk, Watkins, Rusty, Durham, Friday, Soven, Parks, just to name a few.
I think we could burn some time to give those kids a little needed exposure, you know,.. kinda help em along a little,... OOPS my Bad,.. sorry,... I think its the Prozac talking, it just kicked in or it could be the Xanax,.. starting to feel that some too,..Hmmm but I also took a couple of Advil and some Toporal for my high blood pressure, slammed a couple of glucosamine condroiten tablets and some other stuff to help out with my memory but I forget what that's called,... Ah doesn't matter,.. where's those dang water pills,.. I need to get my wake on!

Hope these dudes aint watching!
Theyed be thinking "this old man has lost his mind!"

"Back in the day they called me Superman
Now they just say Sup rain man"
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
All Hail and Greetings to you again!
Old Wise Great Grey Bearded Wonder, John Anderson!

YO Skillet! watched your Vid, you need to turn down the freakin heat baby!

You are making some of us "younger guys" look bad.

I was thinking about posting a couple of pics of me riding cuffed but not after your vid and seeing Guru2 Skying "Old School" on that Shapiro!

This has really been alot of fun.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-10-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
Here's my girlfriends dad last weekend. 52 and throwing the toeside 180 like it's going out of style. Also, the resident surface spin master on my Roam haha

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
Sup Fred,

Always Faithful!!!

Two brothers in the Navy and you in the Corps!

Hmmm that must have been interesting when all y'all boys was home on leave together! (smile)

Did some coops with the other branches of service a time or two, all good but nothing beat working with the Marine Corps,..nothing.

You just gotta love em.

My father fought at Okinawa and Guadalcanal.
He landed alot of Marines there from the LSM-215 and as you know many of them never made it home.

My Father was wounded during WWII but continued to serve through the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
I served through towards the end of the Vietnam War, Cold War and the first Persian Gulf War before I retired.

We have always needed Marines, always... and we always will,.. God Bless em!

The old man in the photo served during WWII
at Pearl Harbor when it was surprise attacked by the Japanese. He is bawling as he falls into the arms of this wounded Marine.

Some folks might not understand but for me, this is a picture of Great love and I love both of these men deeply.

I know this is kinda off thread but this picture says it all for me my brother.
Semper Fidelis

Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-11-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
Denny, you got my full respect and heart-felt thanks to you and your Family who served!!! You asked about that "board" in my Prof. pic. That's a trampoline specific "Bounce-Flexible" Wakeboard I Co/Designed, developed and marketed with one of the top Wake-Coaches in the Industry back in '06. Awesome training tool, saves a lot painfull learning }time behind the boat and is Fab. for learning inverts!..
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-11-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
Here's an action pic on one of our early Protos at a pro tour stop in Ga. 'o6Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Guru2,
Hey thanks man, I guess I got a little off thread there.
That Guru Trampoline board is a very nice looking product.
I guess I've had my dang head in the sand or something, I need to get out more (grin)
Didn't know about this rig you put together,...
I LIKE IT!!!

And Yo Holmes, I hope you don't mind me saying this but your video is still shaken out there, I found some copies on Amazon.com baby!
The Old Wakeboard Geezer has a copy of one of those bad boys on the way!
I dig the cover shot of you doing a grab on that big rascal, its crazy!
I really, really like seeing that big A** Shapiro flying around in the air, that's just so off the hook! You just don't see that kind of thing very often these days. You make it look deceptively easy Man,... I ride mine just for kicks every once in a blue moon and "I Know You Know", that the big old XP, jeeeuuuuust don't handle all that smooth. You throw that thing around like one of these newer boards. My Hats off to you, simply amazing is all I can say.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
Too bad you guys aren't in the Orlando area. I could use someone to ride with. GURU, that's pretty cool that you have your own instructional VHS before it was called wakeboarding. That definitely gives you the title of pioneer.

That's a great profile pic Dennie. But you've got to get rid of the slalom grip.:-)
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks John,
I've got another trick in my bag now thanks to you!
I need all the tricks big or small I can get!
I didn't know what a slalom grip was, now I can tell my peoples I can ride "Slalom Gripped"!

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Ok Ok,
Riding slalom gripped is weak!
I was calling it my "Hold on you dumb A**, for dear life Death Grip", but I'm losing the "SL" forever!
Here are a couple of old man shots, cuffed and and two baby hippity hops.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-12-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Denny, great pics, good form man. Sounds like we should make a Fall trip and hook up with John in Orlando, my home away from home. John, OWC is my Fl. wake home, that and Lake Holden. Gonna be down there this Fall. Maybe we should pitch in and get Denny a new "wake" line and handle that doesn't have a Bl#$^^pin bobber on it! P.S. can't believe you found that vid and bought it. Should add another 2 cents to my royalty fund.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-12-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
Guru,

I live on lake Holden. In fact in the photo you posted my house is directly under your left elbow. If you are here in the fall float on by and say hello.

frankUpload
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-12-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Dennie, thank you for the kind words and your service. Yes me and the brothers have interesting discussions as you could imagine but all in good fun. Keep riding and I'll buzz you when I head for Bill Shoals (and count me in for the old guys charity tourney) That's a great idea, gotta get Guru out there to.
Knee Brace, she's older than Joe AND WAY BETTER LOOKIN' ;-)
John, I know what you mean, fat sacs are a good idea and at least with my boat I ride @ 21 mph and a 65' rope( brings that wake to a manageble width for now of course my boat is wiiide too.
Guru- big props to you man, an instructional video in your day! I thought Murray was a pioneer for the sport but you've got him smoked! And you're still cranking it !
Me, I'm going tomorrow for another treatment (probably the last) on my siatic ?? nerve. Hurts like heck unless I'm on the
board, hmmm maybe I need to ride more and work less ;-)
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-12-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
what may be more impressive is that all us old folks know how to use a computer........well, at least enough to post..........
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-12-2009, 9:54 PM Reply   
GURU, if you and Dennie make a road trip to Orlando I've got the boat and lake. I also love going out to OWC. Funny thing about the bobber... I just bought a new Proline rope and handle that sinks. I was looking at it and visualizing putting a bobber on it just like Dennies.

Fred, since your right here in Orlando, we should go out togeather sometime. I have a 92 Ski Nautique that I load up with some fac sacs. The wake is decent but starts to disappear over about 22mph.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 10:51 PM Reply   
Dang Homies,
Can't believe ya'll hootn on my Big Red Bobber.
I thought it was kinda suave cause it matched my red fishing vest and britches.
Actually its an older pic from about three years ago. I've been using a Ronix handle and three or four no-strechy spectra/dyneema ropes but I need a couple more handles.
My Son in law snatched one from me and took it to Bull Shoals this weekend and my future daughter in law snatched another for a wake run at Lake of the Ozarks. A couple of weeks ago my son and I were out riding and he broke a handle in the middle of a deep water start. That left me one handle without backup Saturday and today at Lake Wapapello.
Beginning to wonder what they would do without being able to tap out the Geezer's wake shack
I found an Erik Ruck Era handle I kinda like, I think I'm gonna buy it but it don't float. I'm gonna use some float foam on it like the Ronix handle uses instead of old "Red Bob".
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
Dang Homies,
Can't believe ya'll hootn on my Big Red Bobber.
I thought it was kinda suave cause it matched my red fishing vest and britches.
Actually its an older pic from about three years ago. I've been using a Ronix handle and three or four no-strechy spectra/dyneema ropes but I need a couple more handles.
My Son in law snatched one from me and took it to Bull Shoals this weekend and my future daughter in law snatched another for a wake run at Lake of the Ozarks. A couple of weeks ago my son and I were out riding and he broke a handle in the middle of a deep water start. That left me one handle without backup Saturday and today at Lake Wapapello.
Beginning to wonder what they would do without being able to tap out the Geezer's wake shack
I found an Erik Ruck Era handle I kinda like, I think I'm gonna buy it but it don't float. I'm gonna use some float foam on it like the Ronix handle uses instead of old "Red Bob".
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
Lets see, Hmmmm
Was that Knee Brace that said something about we know how to use a computer,....
Look at that double pump!
I hate getting senile!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-12-2009, 11:44 PM Reply   
A rode trip to Orlando, the wake capital of the world! I would really like to try to do that.
Last time I was there was in 93 when I pulled in for about ten days on my last ship the USS Trippe.
I rented a caddy while I was there and took a drive down to Key West.
I lived in the Keys for about 5 years, once in the 60's and then again in 72. Also lived a couple of years in the Jacksonville area.

Speaking of the USS Trippe,.. here is a little "Wake" run (if you want to call it that) I made one day off the east coast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XUYEyNuML0&NR=1
She put out one H*ll of wake and was edging like a mug that day.
And yes, I was on her when it happened.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2009, 8:23 AM Reply   
John - I am in Oklahoma or we would already be riding together but maybe someday..
Old     (mrice)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-13-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hi Guys:

I turned 50 in May and love my wakeboard! This is me last year.Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Yo Fred,

Man,.... Hudson lake aint but about 6 hours out from the Ponderosa and looks like you might be around 4 hours to Lake Norfork/Bull Shoals. Hmmmm lets see about Table Rock.... Yup and to Branson/Table Rock its a little over 3 hours or so. We be purty close Fred!!! I've got a fairly good sized 5th wheel camper I like to pull down to Mountain Home, Arkansas, sleeps 8 and I can and do pull a "Baby Wake" boat behind the trailer in the states that allow it. Fred, Isn't there a cable park somewhere in Oklahoma?

John Guru2,
Orlando is about a 14 hour run for me, a bit longer probably pulling my rig. I have been thinking about pulling my 5th wheel down there for awhile and hanging out for about a week or so. I'm afraid if I do though I'll end up moving back to Florida permanently! Hmmmm sounds like I need to find me a winter gig in Orlando!
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
50 this year and will keep going til the teenagers move away and stop going.
Just started 4 years ago. Can't do much, but taking lessons.
Moving the boat to a slip at the Sacramento river in a couple of days. Hope to go more then.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
mrice,

I like the shades!

What board is that you are riding?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
Guru2,
Check this out,
You really should write a book dude!
You have alot of history behind you and there are alot of older cats out there (young ones too) that would love to hear about the old days.
You know,.. bio-info on some of the old timers and how they helped make the sport into what it is today, how you and they got started and the way the sport evolved from then to now.
I have not seen a book on the history of Wakeboarding. I was thinking about writing one myself but I don't think I am qualified to do it.
Buttt......
I have the name of the title for your new book, and a poem or two you could use in it...
Here is the Title to the history of Wakeboarding,....

"Guru2, The Intergalactic Aquatic Ninja!"
or GURU 2 TIAN for short.

I like it already!
It would be a hit.
I would put my 5 copies right next to my new "Ski Boarding Video"
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2009, 8:03 PM Reply   
The Intergalactic Aquatic Ninja!

Now that's some High quality H20 sports!

(Message edited by wakeboardgeezer on July 13, 2009)
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-14-2009, 4:39 AM Reply   
Still having fun until the old bones won't let me anymore!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-14-2009, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hey Craig, look'n good. I see you're still rock'n the awesome boat and the best wakeboarding lake. I literally haven't had a ride as good I did behind your boat since then. Glad I got it on tape!:-)
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-14-2009, 6:07 AM Reply   
Hi John, Justin doesn't ride much anymore so I don't get out much but I still enjoy riding. Anyways, good to hear from you and one of these days we'll have to get out again.
Old     (eastcoastboardriders)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-14-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Randy, u ride at belews creek?!? u must know alex hamrick! he rips! i live in charlotte, nc and ride mountain island lake, lake wylie, and lake norman all the time. Im glad to see the old dudes still ripping it up! congrats guys, u really kick ass! If anyone ever needs any new wakeboards, wakeskates, wakesurf boards, and any other wake equipment at great prices (way better than ebay) contact us at www.eastcoastboardriders.com
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-14-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Dennie-Yes there's a cable park in OKC but I've never road cable. I think Bull Shoals is about 3-4 hrs for me. Don't sweat the boat I'll bring mine and get a cabin, that's what I usually do when I road trip. Bull Shoals is way better than Table Rock IMHO.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-14-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yeah Owen I ride at Belews Creek. Don't know Alex though. Wouldn't mind meeting him. I have seen some vids of him riding and he does rip. I'll have to hit your site up for some gear.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Keep this 50+ rockers thread going... post more pictures. Here is my ride... Kind of spoiled. Congrats to Matt in Veteran's Division at Nationals last weekend... he is a major ripper, but still kind of a youngster! Aloha Joe Pearson Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-14-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Nice pics guys!,,this thread could open the book...Dennie your crackin me up, but I had thought of the book idea..good God the stories goin back to the 70's surfin behind the boat before we started puttin cheap bindings on. Way before skurfin. My Fav is whenI was on Oahu in 1990 sumpin and I rode at the Lagoon at the private Marine base near Kailua. They had a wake/ski shop there. I got in and saw they had a copy of my Vid. I couldn't believe it!. The guys at the shop said they got it to learn how to "Skiboard" and actaully watched it and used it's instruction!...Man, I was floored!..Using my Sh%^^%%$%t in Hawaii for something surf related?..What an honor..the list goes on....Anyone remeber Lance brug?..there's a Chapter there....}
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
Hey Joe, nice shot of your boat, but I'm thinking you owe me some royalties for having my place in the background!

...Silver Bullets or Pacifico's will be just fine
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
Chris, I am doing Tecate lights...
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Hey GURU2, was the shop R&R in Hawaii? Reid the Flyin Hawaiian the owner?
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-14-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, you got it!..R&R, how did that slip my mind? Reid and the crew, what a great group. I've been friends with his brother Ryan Shimabukuro who is another early waker for some time. Man, so much history...Was hangin at Sharkeez and surfin Encinitas just a few ago Joe, how's life in Huntington?...need some real surf soon, my Waksetter's wave just don't cut it. Need a reason to head your way.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-14-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
my dad is fifty three and just drives the boat. although i have seen him up before hahah (not for long then he needs a beer). But my mom is going and she is 47. she still wakeboard's and slalom ski's every time we go out.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
GURU2 isn't Ryan the US Olympic Speed Skating Coach? Really funny from Hawaii to Utaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
Surf is kind of small but fun right now. Water is near 70 degrees.
We camped down in Encinitas (Cardiff) 2 months ago and got some great longboarding waves... we need a big south swell to hit soon.... Aloha from HB.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Cool thread old geezers!
35 Here, so I don't really qualify for this thread yet. Got a question though: how old is the oldest wakeboarder? Or the oldest first time wakeboarder?
We got a guy in town here that would like to give it a shot (never wakeboarded, never waterski'd), and I think it might be a potential world record (if there's that kind of thing for this).
Keep on rocking gentlemen and women!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-14-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
Hey Craig,
Your invert is slamin!
Who ever took the pic did a very nice job also.
Were they in the boat or on a tube when they took the pic?

Here is what I call a "Low Altitude Grab"
It only took me a year to perfect it!
Upload

This 40K Acre Lake is butter most all the time.
Lake Norfork in Mountain Home Arkansas is one of the best kept secrets in the country,.... until now!
Here is a pic slashing up the Lake!
Upload

This last one is for my man Guru2.
Me and old Big Red!
Guess I'm gonna have to shoot that dang bobber, it follows me everywhere I go!
Upload
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-14-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
I was at Nationals and talking to someone who said they just got their 80 year old father up on a wakeboard!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-14-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Yo Sander,
You may not be a "Bonified Geezer" but at 35 you aint no pup either!
So,.......
Bring it on in here Little Brother!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-14-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
YO Gene,
Please tell me they have photographic representation of the event!
We need a President for the "Intergalactic Aquatic Geezer's" Club!
I'm thinking he may be the leading candidate!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-14-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
The Intergalactic Aquatic Geezers!
Now that is Some more High Quality H2O, Sports!
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-15-2009, 4:23 AM Reply   
Dennie, the pic was taken from the boat. I live on two man-made lakes so the water is nearly perfect all of the time also.
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-15-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
Are the I.A.G. Presidential qualifications based on age or experience?...
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-15-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
I.A.G. logos for your consideration... vote #1 or #2 or lets see some more... Aloha JoeUpload
Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-15-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
#2 Joe with a little Rick Griffin/ Murphy/Blazin boards, cosmic touch....
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-15-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, I thought so too... kind of old school. #2.
Rick Griffin is one of my favorite artists... I have a pen and ink signed original. (this is one of mine). Aloha Joe
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-15-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I'm in for #2. Both look pretty sweet though.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Def #2
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
I see you boys have been bizzy!
The Wakeboard Geezer goes to sleep one time this week and look at all the shenanigans,...
I LIKE IT!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
Guru, Fellas,....

Because this is serious Biznes,....

I was thinking maybe the quals for Pres should be based on some very tangible "Skills" like:

1. Who has the coolest looking tattoo, below the belt?

(deduct 5 points if ya aint got one)
(2 or more add 5 bonus points)

2. The Dude or Dudet with the most wakeboards
(must have a minimum of 3, with at least one coming from Walmart or Target)

3. Who has the crappiest/oldest set of bindings?
(flip flops don't count unless they are attached to the board)

4. Must have ridden at least one Pro event.

(if a kid asked you to crash again, real good, so he can take a picture of your dumb A** and show his friends,
for 5 bucks or more and you took the kids money, that qualifies, your in, ("you rode for money"))

5. You must have lied to your boss at least one time so you could sneak in a ride.
(if your boss was your wife that don't count, we all do that sometimes)

6. You performed at least one ShreddyBoomBoonanar.
(no photographic evidence required, we will take your word for it, after all, you are an Intergalactic Aquatic Ninja!)

7. You like Old Dogs, Children and Watermelon wine.

That's pretty much the main stuff, maybe we need to throw in a few more,... can you think of any?

Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
Yo,
Both are purty smooth.
No.2 if I had to pic.
Somebody with some skills put a cape on 2 and see what that looks like.
Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
All right now,...

We may need to do some recruiting to get our numbers up.

I'll start driving around town and nailing these posters up on telephone polls.

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 11:46 PM Reply   
Ok guys just playing around,

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 12:45 AM Reply   
Upload