Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-06-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
2006 SAN 220. From time to time, when you try to start the boat it just clicks. Check all the connections, they are good. Took it to the mechanic who could get it to replicate the problem. He thought it may be the batteries being run down. Put the boat in today, 1st time started like a champ. Went to the house, got the boards and loaded up and 'click" DA N it.

The last time this happened we called some friends to tow us. When they got there -vroom.
Today I called some friends to come get us (we isolated the "click" to the starter". I told them that the best way to get it to start is to call for help. After about five minutes, I hit the switch...Click and then I hit the button about 10 more times in frustration. VROOM>

Should I just take it to the shop and tell them to replace the starter. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-06-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
It's likely either the starter, solenoid or a bad connection from the battery. Your ignition switch and wiring from the dash to the solenoid are obviously good since the solenoid is clicking. Have you tried hitting the solenoid with some sort of mallet when this problem is occurring? Sometimes they stick and knocking on it a bit will make it work at least temporarily.

I wouldn't take it to a shop to have the starter replaced. You can do it yourself in less time than it takes you to tow it there not to mention how much cheaper it will be. I have a starter from DBElectrical.com that was like $65 shipped and has worked flawlessly for 40+ hrs with a lot of starts. Just disconnect your battery, disconnect the old starter, bolt the new one in and reconnect everything the same way. Less than 30 minutes even if you rarely turn a wrench.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-06-2011, 10:27 PM Reply   
solenoid gets my vote, seen this exact behavior before caused by a solenoid with a bad contact ring.