Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-28-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
So as I enter my last two years of highschool, (yes, I'm that young) I need to start planning out my future, and sending out college apps, etc. I'm looking to move out of the area I live in now, upstate New York. The places I'm looking to move after HS are primarily out west. I'm looking at Colorado, NoCal, etc. I really only have a couple criteria I'm looking for.

1) Education is a must. I'm looking for some good colleges in which I can start my career. I'm looking into the medical field, as it has interested me my entire life and is one of my highest aptitudes.

2) Wakeboarding spots. Wakeboarding is my passion. Any lakes, resevoirs, rivers that are amazing for wakeboarding would really be nice. Even a cable park maybe. The lake I live on right now is hurrendous. It's 5 foot rollers 6 days a week, like a freaking ocean. So pretty much ANY kind of improvement from this I'll be able to live with.

3) Seasons. As much as I'd like to live in a place where I can wakeboard year round, I don't think I'd be able to do it. I need snow in my life. I love snowboarding and snowmobling almost as much as wakeboarding.

The main areas I'm looking at are Colorado Springs, Redding, Stockton, etc. But I'm openminded to many other suggestions! So anyone from Colorado, Utah, North California area with ANY insight on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I know I might be being a little picky, but oh well. You only live once, right? Thanks in advance!
Old     (fifty)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-28-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
unless you have your own boat to take to school with you..... you are going to want to look for schools with a wakeboard club.
Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       08-28-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Sacramento State (CSUS) has a great Aquatics Center and wakeboard team. The dues for it are reasonable and they have a newer Super Air Nautique on a lake and ride during the week in the morning and early weekends I think.

Aquatics Center Website: http://www.sacstateaquaticcenter.com/

If you are into snow, it sounds like it actually might be a really good choice. Sacramento is a 1.5 hr drive from some of the best ski/board resorts in the country. I like in Elk Grove, just outside of Sacramento, and I think this is the best place if you enjoy rivers/lakes in the summer, and snow in the winter. Everything is close and very accessible.

Last edited by grkero; 08-28-2011 at 8:05 AM.
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-28-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
I actually do have my own boat, but I'm undecided on whether to bring it or not, depending on the area I choose. And thanks Grant, that sounds like a great area.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-28-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
I live in Millbrae Ca. It is about 45 south of Sacramento. I have a friend that is part of the Sac wakeboard team. It is a good option. Also you can ride the Delta on your time off. If you don't have a boat not a problem just hit me up you can go out with us. My boat is at Orwood and we ride year round. At least 2 weekends a month min. I have a group of friends from age 12 - 45 we all ride together. Very laid back just having fun. All levels of rides from beginner to advanced. Good luck with your decision.
Don C.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       08-28-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
I'd recommend Sac State or Chico State. I go to Chico, its awesome. Tons of lakes to choose from, one of the best wakeboard teams around and a chill snowboard team/club. That's basically all I do up here is wakeboard in the summer and snowboard at any of the dozen resorts that Tahoe has to offer. Both schools have really good nursing programs, and if you want to go pre-med maybe check out UC Davis.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
If you are serious about the medical field I am not sure most State schools are ideal. Schools like UCLA, CAL, Stanford or a multitude of small private schools would probably better prepare you for med school. IF you would consider Seattle UW has one of if not the best Med schools in the country, is in an awesome big city and has water everywhere around it. the downfalls are that you are stuck riding in cool weather and cold water a lot of the year and you realistically probably only have a 6 month riding season. If you are into snowboarding or skiing though there are lots of places within reach and a couple within and hour from campus.

Good Luck
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with UC Davis Medical school in Sacramento. Close enough to the Delta, Sac River, etc. and only 2hrs to Northstar for the snow too.

Of course you have to start your undergraduate on the campus in Davis before you move to the Med School in Sac, but that's only 20min. away.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
If you mentioned Stockton because of UOP, that would be my first option. Stockton not so much, but UOP +1.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-29-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Take a look at Sonoma state too. Plenty of lake options plus the Delta.