Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    byerly137pro            08-25-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
I was wondering what you experienced riders do with the handle to increase pop. I've been told to push the handle down when standing tall, and I'm sure if this is right. If anyone has any suggestions as of what to do right when your standing tall to how your body should be in the air, I would appreciate it.
Old    r_dub            08-25-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
I was at the Triple crown in Indy, and I was really paying close attention to their handle technique. Becuase in video's they very seldom show the approach, It's always edited right at the wake. Anyway, I dont know if this helps, but the only rider that I noticed that had a technique that really stood out was Chad Sharpe. He held the handle EXTREMELY close to his body. So much that it looked a little awkard. But this may have been to help with handle passes more then pop. But for whatever reason, we all know Chad can pop.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-25-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
Pretend like you are playing tug of war with the boat, the hardest pull right at the wake. Hold the handle close in to your waist and make sure you look at the tower when you hit the wake. That was the biggest tip for me, looking up instead of at my feet or at the wake. For my friends, I always make them count how many fingers Im holding up when they jump to make sure they are looking up. Seems to help. Good luck. Dont tear your ACL or you'll be pissed off like me..... :-(
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-25-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, and stand tall, dont absorb the wake with your knees.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-25-2004, 12:01 PM Reply   
awesome quote in your bio, Micheal!
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
do you push down with your legs or just straighten out
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-26-2004, 1:48 AM Reply   
make sure u lean, i've seen loadsa people squat and jump rather than leaning against the line and just straightening up at the wake.

i too did this squat when the boat driver was going too slow last winter, i didn't realise what the problem was cause of the cold, but he was going at 19mph. at this speed you just can't get enough tension in the line. make sure you go 21mph minimum. try just leaning against the line with straight legs and you'll see what the loading and wakecan do.

one of my mates just leans' and barely even bends his legs, he goes the biggest of all!!!!!!
Old     (mpayette)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-16-2004, 9:29 PM Reply   
I have problem having air when a wake jump
and I know it is not a board problem ;)

I ride 70 feet at 20 MPH.
I think when I try I squat (volleyball habit)
When you say lean you mean what?

Do I need to push with my legs or let my legs straight?

do I need to keep the handle near my waist?

I confess I look at my feet ;)

Thx guys!