Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-27-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
Ok....I have demoed a lot of boats this summer and plan to buy this winter. After riding behind about 10 different boats each one had its own uniqueness in wave shape. However, I did notice that some waves are tall and soft, some waves are hard, long, but not nearly as tall. Some have a defined lip, others have a rolling lip. Some had incredible push all the way through and others you had to pump to stay on the wave. I am curious what most experienced wake surfers prefer in a wave that is available on the market place....I know there is surf and skim style but if you had to ride both style boards on one particular wave whether it be the long, hard, but not as tall wave with a solid lip...or the tall, softer with a rolling lip wave.Which one would it be? Now obviously I know you can adjust the shape of the wave with a lot of these boats but just wondering what you guys look more for in a wave?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-27-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
Long ,hard with a defined lip. Our wave can be super tall as with most boats but we run bow weight to stretch it out. I like the extra room and a defined lip makes trick timing more predictable
Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-27-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
Thats a good point H20....I can see what your saying about trick timing.
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       08-28-2015, 12:45 PM Reply   
tall with a lip for me
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-28-2015, 12:59 PM Reply   
Long, hard and fast here! No matter the lip!!!
Old     (xcz504d)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-28-2015, 7:12 PM Reply   
Skim style, long wave (16ft+ is gorgeous), lots of push, lip meh whatever, not very steep.

Surf style, steep wave (there is still such thing as too steep though!), nice clean defined lip, medium wave length is fine (12ft+), medium push (too much push and I'm on my back leg the entire run).
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2015, 8:50 AM Reply   
Too steep!??? Blasphemy! Honestly I prefer it meaty and tall.
Old     (ChuckTheWave)      Join Date: Aug 2015       10-01-2015, 2:59 PM Reply   
I like my wave to be tall, defined lip with a lot of push. Once you have that you can modify it for any riders preferences. You can't tune up the best wave but you can tune down the magic one!! Enjoy shopping your wave. I've just done the same process and ended up getting a Super Air Nautique 230 2012. Hope to enjoy my next summers...
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-03-2015, 10:38 AM Reply   
My kids like our wake long, firm and lippy so we use the CATS full over on SV244 and ride at 11.5 mph but the wife and I like it long but a bit more mellow so put the CATS in middle and run 11.2 mph.
Old     (xcz504d)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-04-2015, 7:35 PM Reply   
Duffy, my friend oversacked his 210 and rode at 10.2mph, the wake was so steep, the push of the wave was only about 8 inches wide, you pump up the face but lose traction and slide down like it was a wall of ice. It was miserable to ride!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-05-2015, 4:16 PM Reply   
this was brought up at this years Worlds and my reply was " I've never seen a surfer who saw a forecast for 3'-4' and when approaching the beach wasn't hoping for 4' - 5' "
...... it can never or should never be too big behind a boat!!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-05-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
what are all you guys doing, describing how you like your men?
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-08-2015, 3:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
My kids like our wake long, firm and lippy so we use the CATS full over on SV244 and ride at 11.5 mph but the wife and I like it long but a bit more mellow so put the CATS in middle and run 11.2 mph.
Wow, that's really fast for an SV hull. We run 11.00 mph on ours

But I believe the SV244 Ram / CATS hull is the best out there, very long lots of drive. Plenty steep if you want it to be, Has a natural barrel shape.
Attached Images

Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       10-08-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
I run at 12mph on my SV230.

07 Enzo SV230
Only the driver (140lb ), Enzo sac, starboard 250 lbs, Switchblade full down and 400lbs in the front.