Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
What do you think of this boat for wake boarding? 5 litre stern drive factory pylon. 21 foot. any coments. I can get one for aprox 21 grand 2003 brand new. good deal? Yes? No? Any one out there own one?
mirage
Old     (tjhooker)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
Get a used Supra Launch or similar boat. If you want to wakeboard a I/O is not good generally.
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-18-2004, 8:05 PM Reply   
If the platform is included in the 21', it compares to a 19' I/O. Still, it's a good looking boat, and not a bad price.

You said pylon, did you mean tower?
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
does any one know is the 5.oL i/o have good power and fuel range?
that boat 4 21,000 new with the tower i woulud by it i/o r ok to wake behind i got onw with some fat sacks it works gr8
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
Sorry, picture is only one I could find, tower is extra price.
Old    handyman            05-19-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have a 5.0 l Volvo I/O. Great power. Don't know for sure on fuel range, I have never let it get below 1/2 tank. My boat is 21' plus platform 23'6" total. Performs well and good wake. BUY IT!
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-19-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
If you are not a serious wakeboarder then its not a bad deal. You can buy a nice used inboard for that price or cheaper and for $1500 add a monster tower and a few sacks and be much happier with the wake. How many pro's do you see behind i/o's and jet boats? Test drive the boat and see what you think, take along some serious boarders and get their opinion too.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
I know plenty of serious wakeboarders that have I/O's. I also know people that have inboards who aren't near as good. A $50,000 boat doesn't make you a good wakeboarder.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
don't forget the resale, how hard will it be on your wallet to sell that when you're done with it?
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-19-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
I am just saying the wake quality will be better with a inboard. If you ski and tube go with an i/o. If you plan on wakesurfing, you won't with an i/o. I had an 1984 mc stars and stripes I paid $5000 for and I guarantee the wake was better than any i/o wake. Your right eric, a 50k boat won't make you any better. I hate seeing a new towered v-drive towing a 5 year old in a tube, its like lowering a jeep, its just not right! But hey its a free country and people can do what they want with their money. Once again how many pro events are pulled by i/o's and how many pros are sponsored by rinker, bayliner, etc.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Matt, why do you hate seeing a wakeboard/ski boat pulling anything other than a wakeboarder? Do you have kids? Your comparison would be no different than me saying, "I hate seeing an I/O pulling a wakeboarder". C'mon teacher, give us a break. Doubt , I will tell my son or daughter, daddy has a ski boat, no tubing, kneeboarding or for that matter wakeboarding, because dad bought a ski boat and that is all it is good for........

(Message edited by prostar205v on May 19, 2004)
Old    ag4ever            05-19-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
I pull a tube with my SANTE.

WITH THE ROPE ATTACHED TO THE TOWER NO LESS!

I guess I wasted my $50,000, too bad, guess i should have given the money to you Matt.

I have an idea, why don't you come over and take this one sport specific boat off my hands.

(Message edited by ag4ever on May 19, 2004)
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
Matt, you're right about events using wakeboard specific boats. Although,my guess is that it's 75% marketing strategy, 25% boat quality. If I was pres. of MC or Correct Craft I too would give out boats to every event that came up. However, I would bet that almost any pro could pull off 99% of their tricks behind damn near any boat with a tower and 2,000 #'s of ballast.
And I wouldn't say that inboards put out a better wake. They may be better equipped to handle the heavy load, but it also takes more weight on a inboard to get a larger wake than it does on an I/O.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
That's funny Robert I put the tube on the tower too. Good thing I'm not in MI. I may feel foolish is my $50k boat when a skier is not behind it......I say skier because I have an inboard, therfore skiing is all I'm capable of doing..

Matt, glad you sold you're MC ski boat for a Malibu Wakeboard boat....was it because you figured out that you couldn't wakeboard behind a ski boat?

Old    handyman            05-19-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
Hey ppl I bought an I/O because it is extremely versatile. I have 2 kids and now that I have read this thread I am delited that I didn't spend 50 large. My kids would hate me for not being able to let them ride their toys too. Matt if we were all about wakeboarding and nothing else we probably couldn't spend $30k to $50k for a boat. Let's just leave it at we all enjoy the sport and we all have our own preferences. Now quit raggin and start ridin.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-19-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Simmer down guys, its starting to feel like wakeboarder.com over here. I was just trying to give scott my 2 cents worth. If you love your i/o great, if you tow your kids on a tube with a san great. Now I am going to go land my first raley tonight. later
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Scott, not sure where you live, I believe that is a west coast boat. Don't see alot of them out east. Price sounds right, may want to also price Sea-Ray, Rinker, etc. I'm sure what ever boat you end up with will be the one you have the most fun with. If all of us Comp boat owners were truely honest......We could have saved thousands and ended up with nearly the same results.
Differences in wakes, etc won't be detremental until a high skill level is obtained. Even then, you see the different sponsored riders behide other manufacture's boats doing just fine. Generally, once you buy your first comp boat you become brand loyal....and then watch out and open your wallet. On the flip side, you have some that believe unless you have the biggest and best boat you just won't ever get to the next level. I like to call that insecurity.........

Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
Thank you barefooter.
I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, just don't want to admit it.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
Yes boat is from west coast. Been around for a while, and though my question was about wake boarding, it will also get several other uses, such as skiing, kneeboarding, tubing etc. Also added I will never be Pro wakeboarder, getting too old for that. If my kids ever get to the point where they are turning Pro they can buy their own boat. Any way thanks for all the input. I will take out this weekend for test. Scott
Old    handyman            05-19-2004, 5:18 PM Reply   
Scott I have nearly the exact same boat and I love it. One thing, when you take it out this weekend be sure to turn hard left at decent acceleration to check for vibration. If it vibrates it is a simple repair that the dealer needs to handle before delivery. Mine had it and I could not get the boat back to selling dealer so I had to pay to have the outdrive realigned. Other than that it is the best boat I have ever owned.
Old    ag4ever            05-19-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
The main reason I wanted a comp boat was not the wake ability or any typical reason. I wanted to be able to spin the boat around in it's own length at high speeds. A sterndrive will NEVER be able to do that.

(I guess the other real reason I wanted a comp boat is that when I was 10, I saw all the comp boats on the private lake I spent my weekends at, and I always thought that I my dad had one of them, I could have been a pro skier. Therefore, I had to have my draem boat when I could afford it. Now I can, so even though I could have gone cheaper, I got what I always wanted. Dream come true.

I am not dilusional to think it makes me a good wakeboarder. Heck, I have only been up on the board five times now.
Old    dfish            05-19-2004, 9:27 PM Reply   
Scott

Blue Water's are very good boats! The Mirage has been around for over ten years with few changes, testimate to the design and popularity. Unlike some builders they understand the old southern saying, "whats the best way to keep a hard on? Don't f - with it."

My buddy picked his up yesterday, can't wait to share towing duties this summer.

He spent over 25k for his.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-19-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
saw one of those at the lake the other day...sharp...but i am not a big fan of the i/o's anymore...but whatever floats your boat! test drive one...what works for some people may not work for YOU
Old    spicoli            05-20-2004, 12:47 AM Reply   
lotsa people in the centurion, two tubes on two ropes on the tower, and a 12' rope between the tubes. when the s#1t talkin starts at camp, thats how we settle it, first of the two in the water, loses the conversation, and has to run into town for supplies. robert i agree, i bought the boat, and im happy driving, in less than a year most of my family is pullin tricks, i can barely pull off a wake to faceplant, but thats what we get for livin our dreams!