Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    nacidude            09-26-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
is it just me? or has this thing really gone downhill? ive been to every one since 2000 and it just seems to go downhill, jason buffalow was good.
maybeee its the economy, maybee the greed of the promoters? input please.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2003, 8:57 PM Reply   
I agree.

Last year was worse (at night and no JB).
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-29-2003, 5:23 AM Reply   
I have to agree too. There is like two parts to boardstock. They need to do something different.
Old    whitechocolate            09-29-2003, 8:24 AM Reply   
Has Anyone heard if it's going to be back next year.(stocton) IMO they should try to get it back to shasta. But I dont think thats going to happen. I heard from friends that Sunday's turn out was so week that you could have shot a cannon threw there. They also said the Promoter of (Boardstock) had a stressed out look on his face all day im sure it was due to the poor turn out. I was thinking of going but with a $25 dollar gate fee I was like no thanks. Nacidude" its funny that you say Greed of promoter's because that's all I heard from locals that were not going, I dont know if they had been in the past year's and didn't feel like they got there money's worth and were protesting by not going. Also friends were saying they wanted to avoid the Party at tower park because of the Bad Elemit that creeps into towerpark from? Where ever, It does seem like a lot of Non Wakeboard people show up to the Tower Park to party and start trouble so I understand.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-29-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Boardstock used to be this huge casual party where all the pros would come and hang out. now there's a schedule with less riding and every year there are fewer and fewer people. And that's probably because there are fewer and fewer pros that show up. I have a feeling that in the beginning all the pros wanted to go to boardstock and now it seems that the ones that show up are forced by their corporate sponsors.
It's a total money game. My family lives within 5 miles of boardstock but chose not to go because the cost per entertainement value just isn't there. There is just way too much down time.
Just my $.02
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-29-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
there is a rumor boardstock 04 may be in Arizona (mead or Havasu)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
that would suck. It's a nor cal event.
Old    dagger            09-29-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
This year was my first year attending and I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the pro's were on hit! I just expected more from the vendors and the wakeboarding fans in general. Maybe next year!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-29-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
well as of now its a rumor... till we find out more
Old    whitechocolate            09-29-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Mat: I dont know if you talked to our friend Tim,N
but he told Pete that he was riding with all the pro's the week before in FL and they the pro's werent intrested in Boardstock because #1 it was the end of the season and they we kind of burnt and #2 there was another event the next week and that Boardstock wasen't important to them and they went going to be showing up.
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-29-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
As of the last day of the event, the promoters were discussing plans for the event next year as if it was going to happen. It will not however be in the same location in downtown Stokton since they are building a hotel on that site sometime between now and next year. They are currently looking at possible locations in Lodi and the logistics of a new location.

According to the pros that I talked to, they all loved it since they could attempt and throw tricks for the crowds that they would never do in competition. They all discussed their "safe run" where taking a fall could cost prize money vs. an expo format where they were just out for fun and the crowd.

Aaron,

I was at the event site working with the promoters and the Arizona rumor is not something that has come from the official Boardstock folk. Possibly someone that wants to put together a grassroots event to get back to the original Bordstock format.

Seems like too many people are whining about Boardstock because it has changed formats. I wonder how much bitching and whining there would be if they just changed the name with no accosiaton to the Shasta days and we still had this event in our backyard. Yeah, X-games and Pro Tour events are free, but we don't get those in our area as often as Florida and Boardstock is not being funded by ESPN, Mastercraft, or Vans.

Trust me, I have been around this event for the past four years, no one is getting rich from Boradstock.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-30-2003, 5:48 AM Reply   
well this is just a shame. if you can't get pros or even JB to come to a event, your not doing something right.

I have never been to one unfortunately, but then again I have never gone b/c it was completely across the country. If it were more centralized, there might be a bigger outcome imo. I don't think boardstock is just a nor cal event! I am still bent that there was not even a decent demo day here in NJ for this entire season. that is poor on promoters and manufacturers.

KG
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2003, 7:40 AM Reply   
I don't see anyone whinning. I see people stating the truth. Attendance is down and it's getting boring. There's less spectators less vendors, and less pros.
Old    whitechocolate            09-30-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Yes anyone can see that Boardstock is not raking in the bucks. I dont think people are complaning about the change in format. I think people are complaning about having to pay $25 per day to see what???. You can go to the X games and see wakeboarding and 10 other things for free. Mabey the promoter should look around and see what is working on other events and bring some of there good points to there event starting with no charging for the event Unless you have somthing that we cant see or do anywhere else for free. I mean think about it If You and your girlfriend or wife pay to get in its $50 for the day Are you giving $50 worth of entertainment????? I think the lack of prople at the event tells you the answer.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Tower Park and Boardstock pics are posted if anyones intrested. . .

www.gowakin.com