Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (zack21v)      Join Date: May 2008       05-25-2008, 10:37 PM Reply   
Alright,
I got a new custom at the end of last season. My dad was taking it off the rack for its second or third ride when it slipped and hit the side of the boat. I didn't notice it till the next time I road it but there is a spider crack/gash towards the top of the board. I would like to know what I should do to fix it.

Any help?
Old    surfdad            05-26-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
If it's not deep, just a hairline at the surface - smooth on some epoxy, just basically to seal it. The 5 min stuff you can get at the local hardware store will do the trick, but it will dry brown'ish. You can get RR epoxy that will dry clear, but it's expensive and you'll end up with a ton left over. The only other option is to get some dye to change the color of the epoxy.

If it's deep, you'll want to fill it in with a mix of epoxy and caobosil or microballoons. Then a small patch of fiberglass over the top to keep it from splitting further.

TAP Plastics carries most everything you need and a search online for 'fiberglass' should turn up online sources for you, along with instructions for use of the product you choose.
Old     (zack21v)      Join Date: May 2008       05-27-2008, 9:20 PM Reply   
Well looking into it some more its about a 1/2" circle of the glass type coating missing. Would you suggest epoxy still, I don't really care if its brown its on the side/bottom.

BTW I've gone through a lot of these threads and noticed you really make a lot of boards. Just wanted to know if you sell them, keep them for your son to ride, or what?
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-27-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
Hey Zack
In addition to what Jeff said you can try doing a search for "Solarez ding repair" or "Ding all" repair kits. Most surf shops sell them for about $10 or so. I believe the Liquid Force is a PU/PE board, so while epoxy will work -- the Solarez dual cure should do the trick and look like the original. Once it hardens you can sand it down with 150, then 220 and go up from there if you want...
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
Matt are you sure it's PU/PE? I'd swear it was an EPS! That would be good to know. The issue with the core material for folks is that EPS will dissolve when exposed to the styrenes contained in polyester resins. I was under the impression that the Custom was EPS.

The dual cure will be more expensive than the 5 min solution and unless you around surf shops you'll wind up ordering it. If you've got exposed foam, you'll want to fix it before getting it wet again. It doesn't sound like it's a structural issue, if you want to get out again fast - do the 5 min epoxy, Matt's suggestion for the dual cure makes the most sense if you want it looking professional.

I don't sell any boards Zack, other than stuff that didn't work. Mostly I am testing new concepts for my own education or to pass along to a shaper for James.