Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Like the rest of WW, I am or was a wakeboarding addict.
However, after snowboarding, the past two weekends(had gone several times a few years back), I am starting to like it better than wakeboarding. (I far from a pro, but definetly not a rookie at either.)
Here are my reasons.
-Powder is awesome, cant explain it. (even packed snow is ok)
-not attached to rope, can go wherever your ability takes you.
-catching an edge on a snowboard has been less likely, and so far hasnot left any mental scars.

Now my thinking could change when it is 110 degrees in the summer.
Give me your take, who else rides wake, and snow?
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-24-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
well... my favorites change as motocross takes over my fall/winter/spring while wakeboarding takes a bit of a backseat... no worries dude
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-24-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
you need to see a psychiatrist soon!
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-24-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
whatever im doin at the time is my favorite. you always forgot your love for the snow when your out on the boat, or when your puttin the boat away your pissed off. the wakeboarding lifestyle is way better, cant beat ladies in bikinis and beers, it just plain beats frost bite. but ridin the snow just feels awesome and has no boundaries
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Ben- yeah thats what my friends, and gf says.
I could (probably do) have problems. lol.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-24-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
I really dig snowboarding and wakeboarding equally but for different reasons.

I like snowboarding because of its freedom, you create your own line every time, and everyone does it together at the same time. And pow days, don’t even get me started on the awesomeness of powder.

Wakeboarding I love for the exact opposite reasons. The fact it’s hot is awesome, not to many bikini girls out snowboarding. Its fun that because you typically ride one at a time you get more feed back on your riding and progress quicker. Then there’s the butter, OMG do I love slaying up butter, and there's nothing like the feeling of busting the hardest wake slash you can! I do like not having a rope snowboarding but the rope does allow for some super fun physics in wakeboarding that you don’t get in snowboarding.

Bikini girls rule the world!
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-24-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Im with Andrew.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-24-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
dont be fooled by not catching a edge, wait till you are falling from the sky off a booter and you catch that heel edge, its almost religious it hurts so bad.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-24-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
I have been consumed by kiteboarding. I dont get out behind the boat much anymore, but when I do its still alot of fun. However, you forget just how restricting wakeboarding is until you get into one of these other sports where you have so much freedom, like snow, kite, skate, or MX. In wakeboarding it is easy to get to a point where you are all about tricks and not the ride, since you can control very little in an overly controlled environment. IMO, freedom and discovery is where innovation is born.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-24-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
That's why I like to engage in as many sports as possible. They are all great for different reasons.

Like Brett, Motocross is my winter love. For me, it's similar to snowboarding through the woods with your buds, but with no lift chairs, and you can truely go anywhere you want.

Right now I'm into Wake, Snowboarding, dirt biking, and track days on the street bike. They're all satisfying diferent urges and helping me make the most of each season.

I wish I had the time and money to add kiteboarding, and a few other sports.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
although wake riding is my numero uno i like to partake in other activities as well...

love the whole atmosphere of the mountain and snow, the gondola rides, hiking ridges to hit cliffs on POW days, sessioning the same hit over and over with ur homies...

trackdays on the R6 are magical, i like being in my helmet on the track, cuz at that moment it's just me and the bike no one else can save my ass...it's all on me..hahah

hunting, fishing, eating, sleeping, building things, working out, cooking, reading, those are all things that help me deal with not being able to ride right now... they're all good because they all act as a sort of checks and balances, when i get a little tired of one i turn to the next...
Old     (onlyvdrivescom)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-24-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Im partial to summer sports. They are just more enjoyable if you ask me. I hate bundling up, runny noses, and snow getting where it shouldnt be.

Sport for sport...they are just different. Cant compare really. Apples and oranges.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-24-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Jarrod, you can get a kiteboarding setup for cheap! Only need to take a couple lessons at a nice spot to be set to ride anywhere. Everything you need to ride will fit in a small board bag in your trunk. When you go out to wakeboard and its choppy and windy, just break out the kite and have an epic session!

Its funny, its very hard to get people to learn it and begin to give it a try, but everyone who does is instantly hooked!

Then you take it to the snow and kiteboard on your snowboard! You can really bring your wake style to the snow! ill find a vid of someone doing a mobe on a snowboard... its unreal!
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-24-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
I hate the snow, exactly why I live in FL.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       12-25-2007, 2:44 AM Reply   
i love snow and wake respectivly. i also view it as if we have an awesome snow season that means full lakes for a summer filled wit fun on the boat.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       12-25-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
Freak!
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-25-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
Double ups ain't got the A51 park at Keystone.

I enjoy going off very large gaps, tables, and cliffs. It's an itch wakeboarding won't be able to scratch.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-25-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Snowboarding is a nice break from wake and like Andy said, power days are more fun then you legally should be able to have. It would be perfect if it were a 2 month break and not 5 months
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-25-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
I agree with Randy.

I have been wakeboarding and snowboarding for 10 years and would say i LIKE wakeboarding better in most aspects. Warm weather, warm water, warm b(.)(.)bies. My dislikes about wakeboarding are the limitations of the rope, the basically consistent wake and conditions and my lack of ability to advance my skill level.

I love snowboarding because of the high speed, different terrain, different size style length angle jumps. The ability to fly off a 30 foot booter then hit a 20 foot step up and then a 20 foot drop down. Also going from powder, to packed, to the worst thing in the world ICE. Also i happen to like snowboarding because I am actually progressing and getting better. So i would say that is my oppinoin on snow vs wake.

In the end wakeboarding wins because its warm out and i dont have to freeze
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-25-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
i just got a new Rome Artifact for christmas, and my parents are dragging me down to florida today...... for the whole 4 hours i get to spend at OWC, i think i would preferr an entire week of snowboarding. but i guess thats just because ive been watching too many snowboard podcasts, and its that time of year
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-25-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
I'm with J-rod. I do as many sports as possible to keep busy all year long. I'm headin up to the mountain tomorrow with all my new gear but there is just something about snowboarding that is far different than any other sport out there, including wakeboarding. Don't get me wrong when summer starts getting close i'm itching to get out on the water. You can't beat a day hangin out with a few close friends, soakin up the sun and landing that new trick. I'd have to say that my favorite sport, depends on what time of the year it is. If i had the money I'd snowboard everyday that I had off work right now. But I also agree with Eric. I'm a much better snowboarder than I am wakeboarder. Though if I had to choose, i'd like to be a better wakeboarder.
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-25-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
We get around 5-6 months wakeboarding and about the same snowboarding every year in Switzerland...(weather depending:-)

Both are simply epic - I couldn’t live without either...

There is nothing in the world like slaying butter, however...I can say the same for boosting a huge air out of the pipe, off a kicker, dropping a massive cliff or smashing tree runs in fresh powder...

Both are amazing sports...

Upload
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-25-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
I have only snowboarded a few times but I can say for me, I will take the sun and warmth any day of the week
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-25-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
Paul, nice photo, is that a pipe shot?
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-25-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Randy. Yes, its the super pipe in Laax.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-26-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
Conversation from last xmas while decorating the tree:
my 12 Y.O. Son: "Dad, what's better snowboarding or wakeboarding"
Me: "what's with the trick questions?"
Son: "no, really, what's better"
Me: "<pause>...hmm...depends on the conditions"
Son: "What?"
Me: "Shasta, 7am, TTI > 150 (total temp index=air + water temp), McCloud arm buttered up, beats the crap out of hacked up snow, and 2-1/2' of fresh beats a lot of weekend days-o-rollers"
Son: "hmmm??"
(1-1/2 weeks later we caught one of the last chairs at Sugar bowl. Major storm, temp in 20's, wind, and big accumulation)
Me (riding up the chair, yelling through the facemask, zipped up collar and hood): "Hey, remember that question you asked about boarding?"
Son (muffled): "yea"
Me: "I think this maybe one of those times snowboarding is better...."
Son: (Behind me yelling as we drop off a ridge and ride the tree line of a steep slope in knee deep untracked powder): "HEY, LEAVE SOME FOR ME!!!"
Me (bottom of the run): "See, depends on the conditions"
Son (with a smile so big you could see it through the facemask): "Yea, I get it"
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Jason,110 seems a bit hot, if the water is in the 90's its not very comfortable either(bath water)being in AZ, you could probably wakeboard all year round and snowboard just a couple months out of the year, so enjoy the snowboarding hoe, but don't downgrade the wakeboard superhotchick
Jason G, where do you get a kiteboard setup for cheap? i would love to kiteboard and eventualy kitesnowboard? but they are just too expensive, i'm actually going to try to make my own kite surfboard, so all i would need is the kite
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-29-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
im opposite i was a snowboarder and i found wakeboarding and like it way better... ITS TOO COLD! hahaha
Old     (joec08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-29-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
I just love to ride,give me snow dec to feb and butter the rest of the year.I am going to try for 20 days on the mountain this year,and then twice a week on the water for the rest of the year,LIFE IS GOOD.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
jo shmoe, lots of websites out there with people selling their used stuff for cheap. Heck, Im sure I have some stuff laying around. Kiteboarders have their gear kooks just like wakeboarding does. They upgrade their boards and kites every few months and selling their lightly used stuff for a fraction of what they paid. Just like in wakeboarding people think buying new gear will make them better.

Check www.iwindsurf.com

look in their classifieds. Decide how much you want to spend and what kind of kite you want. Basically they start at $75 for older used kites. Get some of them and learn to fly. Then get yourself something nice when you arent wreckin em all the time.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-29-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Jarrod/Jo,

DIRTY!!

http://snowkitefilm.com/files/remi_meum_-_mobe_5_-_hd480p.mov
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-29-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Went snowboarding again today, not as much powder but still nice. It was a blast planning next visit. So I might have to answer this question in the summer, and in the winter we will see.

We were going to do the Havasu spring break thing, but now I am thinking a snowboard trip would be fun......
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-30-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
jason g, thanks for the site! who knew you could find a kite on iWINDsurf? there's even a guy in northern ohio selling one relatively cheap
az, why be with a bunch of scantily dressedd beach babes, when you can be with them when they are bundled up in clothes?