Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-27-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
which do you perfer grip tape or foam top?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-27-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
Tape-
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-29-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
I've only tried grip tape so far and I cut myself bad on the ankel, but I blame the board.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-21-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
With the foam top do you wear shoes also? I just got a new byerly 107. You're supposed to go barefoot on it, right?
Old    wakeskate247            01-21-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
nah you dont have to, ive got the catalyst 112 and i perfer wearing shoes, bc nothing hurts worse until you try a shuv-it and the edge of the new boards hit you right on top of the foot or if you catch a toe on the edge. i have a pair of the reef byerlys and they are some kick A shoes i think, and if youre into byerly then get em, but really any skate shoe will do as long as it has a GUM sole. the GUM on the sole and the foam on the boards when both wet they stick like crazy
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-22-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Ok. Cool. thanks. It'll probably be a bit before I get to shuv-its - heck, it'll be 3 months before I even get back in the water.

Do you know if teva's would mess up the top of the board? For friends that may visit that would want shoes. I know thoes dont protect the feet or anything, but whether it would offer better traction than barefoot.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-23-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
I like tape it just feels better to me.
Old    wakeskate247            01-23-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
gerald, not exactly sure what a teva is but any shoe will do really as long as its not like track spikes or golf shoes with spikes ya know, but i would have to say that shoes are always better than barefoot, makes you feel more confident on the water cause youre not worried about dinging your skate against your barefeet
Old    boardergirl128            02-01-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
i make my own wakeskates and i use gator grip its like a foam and i barefoot it. its great and evenbetter,no cuts or gashes!
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-01-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
I like foam, cause then more people can try it and I have more confidence cause I'm never worried about the board hittin/cuttin me up.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-01-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
i use grip tape on a flat cassette. and old running shoes with holes drilled in the soles.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-02-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
I had some running shoes i was thinking of using too. They look real flat, they just arent made of that gum material.

I was actually looking at my wrestling shoes and saw they had that gum material on the bottom. Though they're really thin and dont stay flat enough on the bottom, but instead will conform to your foot.
Old     (wakesk8wannabe)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
Foam is awesome, i would still use shoes though cause the board is hard and if it hits ur foot it hurts, but if it doesn't u don't really need them. I think that they give more force on an ollie though.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2004, 12:46 AM Reply   
Wrestling shoes are good for sidling (sp)...
Old    htvixen            03-02-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
If anyone wants to see some foam samples for their boards let me know...I am happy to drop some in the mail for ya'll.

laurel@hydroturf.com

www.hydroturf.com

Laurel
Old    chaffter7            03-23-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
if you had foam you would have to bearfoot it because if you used shoes on it it would wear out and i know you can get the board re-taped but i dont know if you cam get it re foamed. Can you?
Old     (dan_the_man)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-16-2004, 2:14 PM Reply   
PREFERENCE. I have 2 skates, 1 grip, 1 foam. I actually prefer the foam. its got almost as good grip and i dont mess up my shins when i fall. If your getting into tricks,you should probably wear shoes because it will deffinately help your grip. Ive never heard of the foam getting messed up from shoes because its designed to be pretty durable but anything is possible.
Old    kiwi            04-18-2004, 3:25 AM Reply   
I use a pair of byerlys on my skate and I think the grip is the shiz.
Also you have a larger surface area on the bottom of your shoes rather than just the size of your foot.Do you think this is right cause it feels right and a couple of times I know I've stayed on the board cause the edge of my shoe is just hangin' on
Old     (jwb)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-05-2004, 10:33 PM Reply   
have any of you had to replace your foam top?