Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (schuey)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-24-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Is a Dyneema wakeboard line essentially the same as a spectra line?

With handles, is it a good idea to get a handle with the little mini handle a bit further down to help with wrapped tricks or what? What should I be looking for in a handle?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
I hate the wrap handle...I like a really light line and handle and all the wrap handle does is make the setup heavier in my hands. Plus wrapped tricks are gay...only Randall can get away with wrapping something and it being cool :-)

Alot of folks on here will hype the Proline LG but I bought one and wasn't a huge fan. It tore up my hands pretty good. I also bought an Accurate line and Carbon handle combo from Boarders Best Buy when they had that $250 combo for $70. Its a pretty sweet combo and several of my crew use it...but again the line is pretty heavy and the carbon handle will ding your board pretty good if you smack it when you stack a trick...I've sidelined it as well.

I keep coming back to my original setup of Straightline Team Line and B2-1 Matrix.
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/ST_E9YZ6
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/19tNR
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
I'm not sure on the differences between Dyneema and Spectra. The rope\handle combo I use is Spectra as for the extra handle used for wrapped tricks mine had it but I'm too much of a puss to try any wrapped tricks so I've never used it but I think it's worth having in case you ever wanna try wrapped tricks
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-24-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Dyneema is rated for a bit more strength than spectra (i forget how much though, but it is not absolutely necessary). Unless you're someone who really takes pride in having the best of the best i would just go with spectra... unless of course you find a good deal ;) You should get the same basic benefits from spectra as dyneema, unless i am mistaken

as for wrapped hanndles:
If you imagine yourself doing wrapped tricks then go for the wrapped handle. I think it is a little harsh to say that wrapped trics are "gay." Make your own decision on how much you think you will use it. My first wake-specific handle i got with a wrap handle, but i really hardly ever used it. i have not really tried a wrapped trick without it so i can't really compare with and without (yet).
I recently got a new handle, the ronix totem, mainly because of its kooshiness (its got a "memory-foam"-like stuff in it). From what i could tell from handling it in the store it was the kooshiest handle of them all. It doesn't have a wrap handle. however, i did make my own float, from a tube of pipe insulation that i put inside the velcroe cover that came with the handle that might be nice to grab onto... i have not used it behind the boat yet Upload
Upload
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
I was somewhat joking about the "gay" comment ;) To each his own.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
I'm not a big fan of wrapped tricks either
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-24-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Sounds good Lurker, but you do have a point on certain riders making wrapped look better... but i guess certain riders make everything and anything look good...or bad. ;)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-24-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
Schuey (schuey)
I don't know if the rope package on Boardersbestbuy.com is the reason you mention this question, but if you are indeed looking for a line and handle, or even just a line, there is a good deal... i mean steal, there now on a faction handle and rope that is dyneema.
This was the exact package i was planning to buy, until i discovered how much i loved the koosh of the handle i pictured above.

....mmmm... still tempting me....

http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
my favorite line ive used is the accurate yellow jacket. Favorite handle still has to be the accurate byerly handle.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-24-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
there is no cheater/ wrapped handle on it though, but there might be a possibility of making one or maaybe getting one of the extensions from another company and some how adding it on
i want to think that straight line makes them for thier ARI handles that have no rope extending from the handle........ so mentioning this, i guess you could also consider Straightline for this customization..... i just cant seem to quickly find you a pic of it.

anyway, again, the deal on BBB is good
(to self: i wonder if they will ever sell just a rope?)}

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 24, 2008)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-24-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Spectra and Dyneema are the exact same thing. There are two different names due to licensing and marketing. You will not notice any difference.

My favorite is the Fly High. It is a harder rubber handle with good tack an just a little give to it. I don'te get blisters with it and they last at least 6 years and it still looks and performs great.