Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-19-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
I'm looking at the Shanes or Watsons. I can get a new pair of 08 for half the price. Are the 10 worth an extra $200? I have heard about the problem with the air pockets blowing out. Will LF warranty a new pair for a year even if they are a 08?

I like the 10 limited, but I'm not sure about the new lace system. I'm sure they will work well, but can they be replaced when they blow out?
Old    benj_t            06-19-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
2008 LF boots DONT have the air pockets. 08 LF boots were great, i rode the shanes the whole year and never had a problem. If you get 2010s, I am 99% sure that LF will replace them if they blow out. Until they blow out, they feel amazing when you ride them. Once they blow out (it usually takes me over a month of hard riding to blow my boots out) they get heavier, but it is possible to get the water out of the air pockets
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-20-2010, 12:10 AM Reply   
08's have no air pockets, i have some 08 shanes on my winch board, they are amazing, i rode them boat for a long time, but wanted something new, so they are just on my winch/rail board now, really easy to get in wet as well of of course dry, and very durable as well as comfortable. i think they will warranty them as long as they are new, but dont hold me to that. for half price though, i think the 08's are your best bet, LF had a great line up for 08 on pretty much everything they had.
the only thing ill warn you on, is LF had a 7 inch place for 08, they fit on my board with a 6 inch plate, but only on the widest stance, which isnt a problem for most people,

there is a link floating around here that someone might be able to post for you that shows compatibility with different base plates widths and boards they will fit on. Id hate for you to get the 08's and find out you need the adapter plate for them to work on your board,
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-20-2010, 2:06 AM Reply   
people looking for advice on bindings and boards need to use the search.

Last edited by lseghatch; 06-20-2010 at 2:07 AM. Reason: edit
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-20-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden the 2010's, but I have ridden the '07s, owned the '09s and currently ride the '08s. I personally think the '08s are the best LF bindings they've ever made. The reason is the base plates; they do not flex at all, where all of the other year model base plates flex which results in heel lift. The newer year models may have improved over the 2008's as far as fit and style, but if your boots are lifting off of the board when you're transitioning your edge what's the point?

When I had my 2009's I swapped out the base plates and rode them with the 2008 plate which fit perfectly. Unfortunately the new stylish material on the 2009's ripped after 2 weeks of riding. I then found a close out pair of 2008 Shanes for cheap and have been riding them for 2 seasons now with no issues.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-20-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
2008 Watsons are good. There is an issue of minor flaking on the boot, which is cosmetic, but they are comfy. Never rode the Shane's.
Old     (supernatural)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-20-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
I'm riding 2010 LTD Shanes and loving them. I had four pair of ltd bindings last year all blow out the air pocket within a few sets each before going back to non ltd's, but they have changed it up for 2010 making them stronger. Also the speed lacing on the ltd this year is great, fast, easy and strong so far. The 2010 are worth the extra in my opinion.
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-20-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
i have 2010 ltd shanes aswell and they are awesome, the speed lacing system is great!!!!! really easy to tighten up and dont have to worry bout it, getting them off is a pain in the ass sometimes if you ride cable and boat. but apart from that they are the best bindings i have owned.

i also had 2008 ltd shanes, i still have these and have them on a spare board, they are super comfy aswell but if you land out in the flats it sometimes can hurt, but with the new shanes its a really soft landing
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-20-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help! Sounds like I cant go wrong with either year. Tyler: there is not much info on the new limiteds or many people compairing them with 08.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-21-2010, 3:03 AM Reply   
I agree with everything Richard said above. The only problem with the 08 Watsons is that they are a little slippery on the footbed and even when cinched down super tight (circulation cut off tight) my foot slides a little on a hard landing. (I have narrow feet)

Ahhh the search for the perfect binding. lol
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-21-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
If you like the Watsons, look at the 2009 Ronix Cells. I just got mine a few weeks ago, and I was recently riding the 2008 Watsons after destroying my Zeus'. You can find them for around 250.00. They are stiff like the Watsons, but have zero heel lift and more comfy in my opinion. Also, I do not like the magnet lace holders on some of the LF boots.
Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
The 2008 LF Watsons will peel which is cosmetic but can maked the bindings look bad. Other than that they are great bindings.