Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-10-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
I am one that likes to keep my money local and support local companies. But at what price do you go elsewhere. Went to a local shop this weekend and their prices seem to be on average 30-40% higher than the sponsors above and other I have talked to here. I understand that you need to charge what it takes to stay in business but when do i say enough is enough and go elewhere? I hate to do it but 350 bucks for a blank 06' Flame and 60+ for a pair of boardshorts, tufffff.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-10-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
If you find them cheaper online or at a different shop, you might see if your shop would match the price or discount theirs to keep your business. I went to buy a board this weekend and was told the shop didn't have any new of the one I wanted and that their one demo was NOT for sale til their swap next weekend... until I asked to borrow a phone book to call their competitor, who I knew for a fact had the board I wanted. Suddenly their demo board WAS for sale and at a very competitive price. Too bad it rained all weekend and I didn't get to try riding it.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-10-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
not all local shops are equal...when something goes wrong and there is a established relationship..it is taken care (most of the time..

what i have a problem with is availability..paying full pop and having to wait for it doesnt make that much sense...

if my local dealer doesnt have it, then i will go to phoenix, az during a business trip...there are 2 shops off camelback next door to each other..one stop shopping at a really reasonable price..
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-10-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
Sometimes it is the intangibles you get from a local shop. How much they put back into the local scene, customer service, returns for defects, etc. Depending on what you're buying, if you have an established relationship with a good local shop, you'll come out ahead most every time.

My complaint is, I don't have a 'local' shop. The nearest one to me is just under 2 hours away. I would rather make purchases there than over the internet, but sometimes I just don't have a choice.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-11-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
msrp is equal online as to all my local shops however most regular customers get a deal well below online prices at our local shops..they will deal and match where MOST online shops want msrp...
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-11-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
When you buy that board and boots from "cheap shop" and what do you do when those boots rip and u need to get them fix. Where do you go when the "cheap shop" won't fix them for you?
Old     (wake_boarder49)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
It's not about buying cheap stuff from the "cheap shop", its about buying a high end setup for a reasonable price that isn't way more expensive then other shops or online places.

The reason small local shops clothes are so expensive is because thats where they make the most profit. If your not up for buying $60 shorts (I know im not) wait for a sale. Same with boards and boots. How badly do you really need that 06' board and boots when your 05' setup is still practically brand new. Sure if the stuff is trashed you'll be looking to buy new, but you can stretch its use for awhile longer.
Besides the longer you wait the more the price goes down.
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-11-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
There are two different prices...the MSRP which few shops or online shops will charge...and there is MAP pricing. MAP pricing is minimum advertised price. Most mfg's have map pricing policies for online sales. This means, to remain a dealer, you can't have prices below MAP pricing levels until a certain date. That is why you will find most online guys with prices that are the same.

(Message edited by mikel on July 11, 2006)
Old    atom_ant            07-11-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
DTW said it. Local shops are always good. Lake Area Watersports in Melrose, Fl. sponsors us at UCF and they are near Gainesville, which is where I'm from. All I did was call, and they know me from going there, told them our lack of sponsor situation with the club, and they were more than glad to push the sport and help us out with discounts. They also help you out on a personal level too. I bought the new Byerlys(awesome bindings), rode them, thought they were too big, took them back for a smaller size with no questions asked. SUPPORT THE LOCALS!
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-12-2006, 12:30 AM Reply   
Hot H20 and Surf and Skate are two boardshops in the Sacramento area that have great customer service and have also matched prices that I have found on online or elsewhere.

Hot H20 has always done their best to match any prices and has always helped me out.

Surf and Skate has a great program where if you buy anything and do not like it, you can trade it for something else. Also they have been great with returning items that broke or did not function as they should.

I do not like buying online and having to try and return things. It ends up being more expensive than buying at the local boardshop and more hassles IMO.

Support the local shop!!
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 2:41 AM Reply   
We have a situation the has risen in the last few days.I buy from buywake and get flak from some others on are site.They or he states I should buy local.Well one problem.The only shop that stocks anything worth a dam is 2.5 hours away.They say I should support the shops that give back,sponser contests.I and most of my friends that ride,do not attend contests.Its hard in todays world to not search out the best bang for your buck.Everyone does it everyday.I know its tough for the small shops but they need to figure out a way to stay competitive.As I said to this guy given me not my fault that the area shops cant keep decent inventory and selection.
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-12-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
Hey Adam, what shop did you go to? I bet I can guess. I don't know if you are set on a certain brand board, but you really should check out Chicago Searay. They have totally taken care of my friends and I.
By the way, are you gonna be at Wake-up Wednesday tonight at the Oar?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-12-2006, 5:19 AM Reply   
hey jim, actually, last i heard.....switch stance is stocked up with your favorite LF gear which is like 45 min from ya.

I am glad that I have a local shop around here....Glass & Powder! This year they really did get back to their roots and have done nothing but impress me with matching prices, service, etc. In fact I go in there to buy clothing such as board shorts and buy them full price with no haggle because as said earlier by someone, thats where they make their money. I give them a little back scratch and I get the full massage with the happy ending. LOL!

Here is something you can get from a local shop you can't get online.....I went in yesterday tried on some Shane bindings, told them i needed a price to be matched and I needed them to hold them until today so I could drop by the bank and deposit my paycheck. (last in stock in my size) They said NO PROBLEM! Call up your online retailers and tell them to hold something for you. yeah right! And you can't beat having warranty issues handled instantly if the product is in stock! Thanks GnP! The Shanes will be rockin it gangsta style on my Watson!
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-12-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
What's up Chris, no I am not set on a certain board and haven't checked out Searay yet, I will give them a shout. As for the OAR I hope to make it up there, you riding tonight????? Shoot me an email and if I make it I will give you a shout. Peace.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Nathan,once again I do not call a two hour round trip a local shop.Switch Stance is just a side shop for The Malibu dealership.They have never done anything for me personally. (I just never use them or choose to use them)So i dont feel I owe them or anybody a thing.
Old    atom_ant            07-12-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
LOCALS!

end of thread.
Old     (jcstudebaker)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-12-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Online shops cannot offer anything less than MAP on their new product. If they do than its an violation of their contract. They dont have to support employees that ride and try, and know about the product. I support local shops because a lot of the time the guys working there know what their talking about and can help you find the board you need. If I ever need anything fixed or returned I just go to back to them and they do it for me. Larson's has a great return policy. When you start shopping regularly at a pro shop most of the time they'll cut the price to you so you come back, Larsons has for me. Online shops are the Wallmart to proshops, killing the local scene, by buying in bulk. But when all the shops are gone, where will you go to get your fins that you lost in the water, or a bolt. Hey Tom March why dont you try to go to Larsons in Rancho for a great deal, I know they give deals for people that bought their boat from them. JIM if you want call a local shop and they'll probably ship to ya, and you will have supported a shop.
Larson's had always helped me and hooked me up with great gear, often times for way less than online shops.
Old    team_larson            07-12-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the Awesome support JC Hope to see you soon
PS your right about MAP pricing they cannot advertise for less than that. They sneak around it by offering free shipping but will rarely deal with warranties or returns
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-12-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
I second what Chris G said -- I think you are shopping at the wrong shop (unless you are set on a CWB). Try across the street at Chicago SeaRay -- and tell them Mike, Liz and Lumpy sent you! PS - We need a 3rd on Sat the 22nd if you wanna ride early in the AM.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-13-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
Liz,just sent you and email. Thanks.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-14-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
As a shop owner, it is a little frustrating to see the big guys bending the rules. As JC said, it is a violation of their contract to offer current products for less than MAP. If the customer comes into your store, you can sell it for what ever you like. If you can get hooked up with a local shop, you should be able to get a better deal than online. Personally, we have never sold anything at full retail.

We are fairly new but we are - just like all of you. We are on fire for the sport. There are things that the big stores can provide that we can't, (mainly a huge inventory). But there are things we can do that they can't or won't or be reluctant to do. We always beat catalog prices. We want you to be happy with your gear, If you want to try it first or you try it & it wasn't for you... bring it back & we will trade around until you get what fits you best. (we have traded out equipment a few times this summer) If you want to arrange a time to go to the lake with us & take 2 or 3 boards to try, great! (I'm looking for any excuse to go to the lake, so please give me one!) Also, we can open the store for you even if we are closed. I have sold alot of stuff while we are closed. Somebody needed some hardware for their bindings on July 4th, I opened the store, gave them what they needed & did not charge them (the set up did not come from our store either). I believe that when they are ready to buy , they will come to us first. Maybe not, either way they were happy & I felt good about doing it.

As far as the staff knowing everything... well to be honest, it is hard to have the hard core wakeboarder working all the time (that would be me by the way). Everyone I have working has there own area of expertise. Brandon is a hardcore snowboarder & mountain boader, Drew - snowboard, Freebord, skateboard, Jordan- wakeboard, skateboard Scott & my self wakeboard & snowboard.

The board shop has been a great place to hang out. We have teenage kids that litterally hang out all day. They skate our ramps help out around the shop, help with new customers, it's been great. I feel that everyone that walks in is a friend or a friend I haven't met yet.

It's just water, its not gonna hurt...
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-14-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
This kind of topic comes up alot...what people usually don't realize is that many of the online shops are websites run by your local shops. Any online wakeshops that advertiser on wakeworld are local shops with websites. If you buy from buywake, you are supporting a successful, but local shop. Same with Boardco, Got River, Boarder's Paradise, Tommys's, Performance, etc. And most of your online shops, if run by local shops, will treat their online customers "local shop" style. I have used several of the ones that advertise on here...I support them because they treated me well AND they support my wakeworld habit.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-14-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
I bought by board and bindings from Sporthaus, one of the local stores that caries wakeboards, but i got my skate and some clothes from wakeside. I really like how they have the reward program and how you get credit for how much you buy. I've got $16 in reward points and im gonna save up till I really need them. But Im lookin into getting a new handle and a couple different local places.

But if i can, i try to stay local because im goin to college for business so i can open up my own shop and i want the locals at my shop so...oh and everyone around here is really cool too so that helps.

Jamie
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
I have no complaints with my local boad shop. When I ripped my watson bindings they traded them straight up for some Zeus'. If I ever need anything like screws they hook it up no charge. Also their prices are comparible to any online company and I don't have to deal with shippping.