Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-05-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
I've been working on my second homemade surfboard and I've made some improvements. My last one I made with 2 1/4" sheets and by the time it was done it was a tank. This one I used two 1/8" sheets and it's nice and light. I put a layer of fiberglass resin on it to seal it and now I'm gonna put grip tape on the top.

The only real problem is that the lake is still frozen here in the great white north of Provo Utah. So I haven't been able to test it out.

My question is how wide is too wide.
I made my board using the pre-cut sheets from Homedepot that were 24"x48". I pretty much rounded the corners, so its a pretty large sheet. The board has a slight concave on the bottom and I'm going to experiment with a variety of 3 fins.

I come in at about 220 so thats why it's so wide. Others of similar length I have seen are max of about 22"

Lastly one of the best things about making boards like this is that I can make up to about a 6' length, and I can simply cut down the edges to make is narrower if I want.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-05-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-05-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-05-2007, 3:39 PM Reply   
hey rob- looks like fun -- i've been wanting to build an experimental board as well, but haven't got around to it.

i don't think you will have a problem with the wideness (check out inland surfer's website), but perhaps at the nose and tail you need to taper it a bit more or it will dig into the wake too much.

good luck and let us know how it goes when the ice melts on the lake... i used to hit utah lake when I was at BYU -- good times...
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-06-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
Ok, I made some progress, I applied the final resin coat, did a little sanding. Added three fins and even stuck some decals on it. It's nice and light and I hope lots of fun. The pictures are little dark, it looks way better in real life. Upload
Upload
Old     (holdenon)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-16-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hello Rob could you post some steps by steps I would like to try something like that. Before I sink some money in a new board to see if its for me
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-19-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
and what about this one hobby kit?

Upload

from http://www.grainsurfboards.com
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-19-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I know its way more complicated but result is awesome.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-01-2007, 11:26 PM Reply   
I got these steps by looking at how people are making homemade wakeskates. Often they use an epoxy resin, but I decided to go with fiberglass resin.

Step 1: Make a press. I went out into the shed and found a large 2x12. It was about 8' in length and I cut it in half. Note: I wanted mine to have a concave deck like trickboardz. If you want to add tip rocker and be relatively flat you would just cut the boards differently.
I used a wakeboard to help me mark the curve that I wanted for the shape of the board on one of the 2x12 sections. I then cut out the shape using a jig saw, but a band saw would probably work best.
Next I laid that 4' section on top of the other to mark it, then cut that curve. After that I found some old plywood sheets and screwed them down to the 2x12 halves. SO that they now had a curve. I made my press bigger than I probably needed, but if I want to make a 6' board I can.
Then I added some 2x4's as supports between the 2x12's on the ends. After that the press was complete....
Note: the press was the difficult part. Once this is done you can make as many boards as you want for pretty dang cheap. Of course, my press didn't really cost me anything except for I needed to buy 6 2x4's from Home Depot.

Step 2: Go to Home Depot
I guess Lowe's would work as well. I bought 2 handy sheets of 1/8" birch plywood. These sheets come pre-cut 24x48". They run about $5 each. Also pick up a can of fiberglass resin. I bought the $15 size.

Step 3: Fiberglass fun
If you wanted to add some strength you could probably sandwich a layer of fiberglass mat in between the sheets of plywood, but I didn't.
Take the two sheets of plywood, mark a basic outline of a shape on the inside of one of the boards....make sure you put the pretty side out.... Mix up your fiberglass resin and cover the shape of the board you just sketched. Do this to both boards. Then just sandwich them together and place them on the concave half of the press. I usually put a screw through the boards about where I plan on putting a fin. The goal is to get all the air out. Put the top half of the press on and use some clamps to squeeze the boards together as tightly as possible. The let it sit at least overnight, but I would suggest longer.

Step 4: Shape & finish
When you take the board out of the mold it will hold the shape you put it in. Because you use two sheets they hold against each other. Anyway, Shape the edges however you like. Look at some of the shapes of other boards and do what you like. Try to get the edges as symmetrical as possible, then sand and smooth. Finally, mix up some more resin and apply a coat or two to each side. Do a little wet sanding of the finish and you're there.

Add some fins. Buy some grip tape for the top....Or foam traction pad. and you're done.
Let me see if I can find some pics.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-01-2007, 11:34 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload

This was the first board I made. I used two 1/4" sheets. This thing is a rock and seriously heavy. For my next one I went to the 1/8" sheets and it seems great.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-04-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I have access to the university's platics lab, I'm considering using just one 1/8" sheet and making it out of carbon fiber. Has anyone tried this?
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-30-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Rob, what's the latest on the board- have you been able to try it out yet?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-16-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
I've now been out of this board a few times, I'm a beginner but I was able to surf this easier than a landlock. Worked real nice to stick in the pocket. One thing I found is that I have to keep my back foot real close to the rail to hold edge. I don't know how to do tricks without the rope yet, but I'm learning. My lack of experience is hurting me.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should move the two side fins a little more forward and angle them in to help hold better. So what do you think about the angle of the outside fins? leave them straight or angle them in?

Thanks for the help.