Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-23-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
For those who use Adobe Premiere Pro, can anyone explain how to "Pause" and then "Zoom" into a video sequence?

I'm trying to glorify a crash wake to wake and I want to pause the clip when the rider is mid air, then zoom in on his face while the clip is still paused.

Old                03-23-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
To pause, simply get to the point in the clip where you want to pause, stop the clip, and the export that frame.

Insert that frame into your fottage (after using the razor to chop the existing clip into two parts), adjust the duration to suit your needs, and then go to "effect controls" and adjust the scale and position until you are zoomed in on his face.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-23-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
A little further advice:
De-interlace the frame before you export it or you may end up with funky looking frame. I'd take the exported frame into photoshop and interpolate it up using bicubic smoother until you get it to the size you want of the face. Import that back into premiere and zoom it back out starting at your freeze frame and then zoom in til you get the face to the size you planned. Check and make sure PS is set for non square pixels while you're doing all this. Now you don't need to use photoshop and justsomeguy's method is a great way but I think you may find a DV frame blown up that much is just going to be a mess of pixels. However if you zoom fast enough and don't freeze on the blown up face for more then a couple frames the motion blur may hide most of the pixelation. I haven't done too much of that FX but it's tough to make it look anywhere near the quality of a true in camera zoom.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-23-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
Everything you guys said has worked. But what I can't figure out is how to actually make the zoom effect visible. I am trying to pause the rider in mid jump form right before he goes to crash... pause... then actually show the zooming in effect to his face.... zoom out... unpause... and let the rest of the clip play. Hope that makes sense. My target is to have the effect actually show the zooming in and zooming out effect in the final version.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
There should be a pan / zoom filter you can use or just enlarge the frame using size tool. first you've got to expand the duration of the single frame to the time you want the effect to last and then apply the pan zoom filter or the enlargement, keyframing it from normal size to blown up and back. the zoom effect's visability would largely be based on the spped at which the transition plays.

If the pan/zoom filter is anything like the one in Fnal Cut Pro it will be easier to get the effect you want with it over just blowing up the frame.
Old                03-24-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
"My target is to have the effect actually show the zooming in and zooming out effect in the final version."

Select the still, move the timeline slider to the beginning of the still, open the effect controls panel.

You will see the slider at the beginning of the still.

Go to scale and/or position and click the small circle (toggle animation ) on the left hand side.

This creates a key frame at the beginning of the still at 100% scale.

Slide the timeline slider to a new point, highlight the scale percentage, change it to suit your needs (like 200%), hit enter, and you've just created a new keyframe and the still will zoom between full frame and your new zoom.

Put a 100% keyframe at the end of the still and you'll be completely zoomed out when you transisiton back to the action clip.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-24-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
I'm glad I use Avid.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-24-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
toolfan, that's funny. I actually have AVID. I even think it's one of the newer versions (HD PRO or something). It's loaded on my PC and everything, it's just I don't want to have to learn from scratch.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-24-2005, 10:15 PM Reply   
And I'm glad I use Final Cut Pro. But it's really no harder to do that in Premiere then in any other NLE. DV sucks when it comes to zooming in on the actual video material (well heck it sucks for blowing up graphics as well.) It doesn't matter whose DV codec you're using, they're all about the same.