Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old    xtremebordgurl            10-26-2003, 7:35 PM Reply   
Anyone go to Lynn University? I'm hoping to go there next semester and unfortunately wont have a car but am looking for transportation to Ski Rixen, the cable park. Does anyone know if there is a bus I can hope on or anyone go there regularly willing to give me a ride? I'll split the cost of gas with u. Thanx a bunch for anything anyone can do.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            10-27-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
I thought it was the Arts Institute of Ft. Laud...then Orlando??? Now Lynn, where exactly is that? Which one is it going to be?

Did your Van rode trip ever transpire? I never heard anything about it after the original post and I did see that some girl on here posted back to you offering you a ride to the cable park,,,
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-27-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
Lol, yeah I've been kind of all over the place trying to get in down there. I got accepted to the Arts Institute of Ft. Lauderdale and was 100% sure I was going to go there until we visited the school. I don't want to bash it, but, lets say I wasn't too impressed. But my Mom saved the day when she mentioned Lynn University(in Boca Raton, FL, only 15 min away from the cable park in deerfield). We went to check out the campus and I fell in love with it. It has all the programs I want and now I actually WANT to go to school and am really excited about it. So now I just have to apply and get my grades up and hopefully get accepted and it'll all be good. I love that school. Its so perfect and I was really impressed with that cable park's location too. Its in the middle of this park with trails and a really nice skate park. Iwas really impressed. It was perfect

Our road trip did happen, just not the way we thought it would. We are still planning on doing the trip up/down the east coast sometime in the next couple of yrs, but it prob. wont be for a long time due to expenses. We ended up driving up to Montreal and going to the Wakefest/Cable Park Tour Stop that was happening the first Weekend in Aug. It went fairly well, like the cable park was great and Canada is great, especially when ur 18 , but outside of the cable park it was crazy. We were lost like all the time. Everything that could have gone wrong, did, lol. But I can't complain cause a lot came of that trip, like I met a lot of people up there that have really helped me out a lot in terms getting started in the industry and stuff so I can't complain. Overall it was a great trip. I just look back and laugh..
Old    wakejunkeygirl            10-27-2003, 1:55 PM Reply   
ok, clear now,, I was a little confused I had seen you post so many different places here in Florida.

So sounds like boarding is your life..how long you been doing it? you ride mostly cables or behind boats? what skill level are you at? Just wondering, cuz you must be pretty dedicated to want to move somewhere to go to college just so you can get to wakeboard more!! Does your major in college have anything to do with a career in w/bing? sounds like that would be your dream come true...Are you coming alone or are some wakeboarding friends coming with?

well, good luck with whichever school you decide to go with and maybe you'll get to board every day like you are hoping too..*just make sure to keep your grades up so you can do that!!*
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-27-2003, 10:57 PM Reply   
Actually, its kinda crazy cause I fell in love with the sport before I even got to try it. I started in 01 and I sucked, I still suck, like I'm still working on the basics. But I love it. Its my life. Its my everything. I want to push the sport as much as I can. Whether it be interviews, photography, film, maybe someday thru my own riding, who knows. I want to see more cable parks arround the country, so the sport becomes more accessible to more people. Cause its cheaper to buy a season pass at a cable park than a boat not to mention all the gas for the boat and other expenses. I wanna see more girls get into, and start pushing it more. I'd like wakeboarding to get more press. I think wakeboarding is a great sport, also the commoraderie that comes along with it is unlike any other sport. Its such a positive environment. I dunno, its great.

I've ridden the cable a couple of times, over at OWC, not much though. Its pretty crazy what some of the guys are pulling on the cable. I wish there was more respect for cable riding too, I dunno. I almost think its harder to do stuff on the cable than behind the boat and for some reason a lot of people don't have much respect for it. I dunno.

I think I am going to major in somthing that has to do with media or marketing, so yeah I'm trying to make my degree fit the industry. I'm transfering undecided until I can figure out what will be most beneficial to the industry and myself. Its just me comming down, I don't really have many friends that are that into it. It makes it kind of hard to go out, which is why the cable really appeals to me. Also, something Dan Mavery said that I had never really thought about was that when u ride cable, ur riding with so many more people. Again, the comoradarie. It so great. I know there is not a lot of money in the industry, and I don't wanna get rich or anything but I do want to try to make a living trying to push the sport. I don't know how that would work but.. yeah. Even if I can't get a job in the industry I'm going to try to push it and get it out there till the day I die. I love it. Its almost unhealthy. Anyway, I've prob. rambled enuff. Sorry for the long post

Yeah thats a good point about the grades!
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-29-2003, 9:48 AM Reply   
Anyway, thanx for your interest Angi, as you can tell i love talking about wakeboarding too. But is there anyone out there with any experience with Lynn University, or lives nearby in Boca Raton or Deerfield Beach?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Might want to try asking on Wakeboarder.com. There is alot of younger people from that area on that site. They may be able to help you out.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
Bess,
I'm not sure what makes a potential college seem "perfect" to you, but I have some suspicions. I admire your obvious enthusiasm that always comes through in your posts, and I give you props for attempting to find a way to combine your enthusiasm for wakeboarding with the more important issue of obtaining a college education. I don't know too much about Lynn, but I wonder if you have looked into Rollins College in Orlando? It is right in the heart of the wakeboarding capital of the world, and they are huge into skiing and boarding, with ski lakes right on campus. It is a private school and therefore it might be too expensive unless your folks are loaded (it was too expensive for me), but I just wondered if you had heard about it. A number of the early pros got their start on the team there, and there seems to be quite a scene there.
Anyway, good luck with your education, and make sure you sit your butt in the classroom every day and do your homework so you don't piss away your future and all of your parents' tuition money hanging out at the cable park. You should be able to do both if you do not drink and party too much, but there is no way to do all three: sports/recreation, studies, and heavy partying. It just won't work, so you have to pretty much pick two of the three.
Your enthusiasm should take you far if you stay focussed and use your brain.
Good luck.
Old    xtremebordgurl            10-29-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
Doc,
I really appreciate your post, no I haven't really looked at Rollins, I'll defenitly look them up. You also have a very good point about the 2 of 3 thing. Thanx for the advice, I appreciate it.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
Just wanted to drive home that school is the way to get where you want to be. I have a good friend who could have turned pro for wakeboarding in '98, with Waketech and another major company both wanting to sign her and start sending her to pro events. It was hard, but she decided to turn them both down and bust her butt to finish her degree in computers. Now she works for Microsoft, she just bought her second home (lake house), and she owns her own Mastercraft (not a promo boat), all after only four years working since she finished college, and she did not come from family money. She now has achieved much more toward a lifetime of wakeboarding happiness than she probably would have if she had decided to turn pro and put school second behind that. My point in all of this is to reiterate the importance of focusing on your education as a way to get what you want in the long run (which I assume is to wakeboard as much as possible). Good luck with it, wherever you decide to go.