Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-24-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
Pro photographer Chase Jarvis will be streaming a live broadcast TOMORROW (2/25/10) from 10-1pm Pacific time.

quote:

we're broadcasting all the nitty gritty that happens AFTER we've captured the image. We'll take you through our complete workflow, from editing and all the way through final image post production on the images we shot in our original LIVE broadcast. (Yes, you'll watch us work up the final image, right there on the spot, no rehersal.) And remember, it's designed to be an interactive experience. You'll be able to see and hear everything, ask questions of one another, me, Scott, Dartanyon--or any of the 8 awesome peeps in the studio--via twitter (@chasejarvis) AND a live chat embedded in the url above. (please use hashtag #cjlive).

more details can be found here: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/02/another-chase-jarvis-live-event.html
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-09-2010, 12:20 AM Reply   
Did anyone happen to stream-capture this? Or is it available for playback anywhere?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-09-2010, 2:21 AM Reply   
I was able to watch most/all of the live stream. To refresh again, this whole thing is about Chase Jarvis producing the images that will be used for a band's upcoming album. There was a live stream that happened before this one, and that covered all of the actual nitty gritty photoshoot stuff. This second live stream covered all the post production stuff and centered around Aperture workflow and then a tiny bit of Photoshop stuff. I was able to catch most/all of this second live stream, and most of it was centered around how Chase and his editing assistant whittle down all of the photos from 10,000 images to 3 final candidates for the front and back images.

In the stream, Chase mentioned that he won't be able to put the first live stream event online because it was 8 hours long and he can't host that much video online w/o it costing money. This second event was much shorter than that, but even still there doesn't seem to be any posts in his blog about him hosting the stream online, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

From memory, it really felt like this stream was centered around how Chase and his crew deal with the thousands of images that they capture. Here's what I remember from the event:

-When they thumbed through the images, many were kind of lighting tests to see how it would look with lights here or there. The primary light was a big softbox with some speedlights for localized lighting. You could see that they were taking away or adding flashes here or there to highlight a certain pose that one of the 5 members were trying. Lots of different versions of the same type of thing.

-First run though the images would be to get rid of all the stuff that just wouldn't ever be used, whether it be for this project or any further project. Basically, stuff that was out of focus I'm guessing. I believe they had already gone through the photos and tossed all the crap in the interest of time (and to a lesser extent, maybe to keep us from seeing how much crap a pro really shoots ).

-Second, the more 'creative' photos of the models were eliminated. These were photos that featured more of the models than they did for the band. I guess they were shooting stuff w/ the models laying down and/or in different poses just for fun at different points, and wanted to keep these shots because they were solid photos in and of themselves, but were simply not usable as cover art for this band.

-Third, they start identifying which images will fit within the confines of the final product. This will be album art, so it'll have to fit a square crop. They add a square crop to all images and toss the ones that 'don't work' within those confines (some of the images were just too wide...they would introduce too much ground/ceiling if they were made into a square crop).

-They have maybe 10-20 images left out of a few thousand. They give a VERY simple and neutral edit to these in Aperture and then host them on a private part of their site. The band pics their favorite 2 or 3 and then the Photoshop fun starts.

-They kinda ran out of time and didn't show a whole lot of the Photoshop side of things. They did show some cool PS stuff and took the cover photo in the direction of the final image...but I'm sure there's a few hours worth of work that we didn't see.

I forget if the feed ended here or if I turned it off and went for lunch, but I was a wee bit bummed that things felt so heavy on the Aperture side of things and not PS. But anyways, that's my recollection of what happened for those that are interested. There were certainly tidbits here and there to help just about anyone...and if nothing else, it's always nice hearing how a very established professional photographer handles their files. I do have to say that I am very happy that guys like Chase are around to help the photographic community. I know that I've learned a TON from others within the wake community, so to see someone like Chase doing this as a pro photog is pretty awesome. I would definitely recommend checking out his blog if you guys haven't done so- www.chasejarvis.com

*again, this was all from memory. If anyone else saw the stream and would like to add/correct, then please do.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-09-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
cool - thanks scott!