Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-28-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Well you can chalk me up to getting my stereo equipment ripped off. Last night some low life scum bag broke the back window out of my tahoe and made off with my subwoofer and amplifier. The sad part is they only got about $300 buck worth of equipment. The window alone is going to cost me $550 (my deductible is $500). I am so pissed it isnt funny. The really suck part about it is we just moved into this home saturday.
I will take part of the blame. We have been leaving our cars out because the garage door is broken and I was too cheap to get it fixed before we moved in. Now its going to cost a window and a garage door.
I hope the f*%%ers are proud of themselves. I know karama will come around but it really sucks right now.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-28-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Not sure if this applied to your situation but I suspect your vehicle had an alarm? One thing people forget is that most stock factory alarms both foreign and domestic only have door sensors. Even upgraded alarms sometimes have ignition kill switches but no glass breakage alarm.

A very cheap add on is a glass breakage sensor to add to your system. We live near an Airport and cars are prowled all the time where they break out the window and just reach inside and grab speakers Gps ect. and if they don't open the door the alarm doesn't go off.

Not to say they wouldn't still get inside but at least there might be a witness or scare them off.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-28-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
Packrat,
you are correct. I only have a stock alarm. Usually I park the car inside but like I said the garage door is broken. Both cars are going to get parked on the rv pad (behind a fence) unitl the garage door is installed. Its a pain but well worth it. Im going to install a high power motion light on the front of the home as well as a couple security cameras.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
welcome to the club. my truck(05 F-250) has been broken into 3 times now. The first time was at the gym at 6 in the morning. they got my wallet(cleaned out my ATM card and spend about 2K on the credit card) luckly the bank put it all back in my account. The second tiime they got my I-Pod and some chargers. Third time nothing. when they bust the key lock in it cost me 120$ for the lock and 130$ for the new handle and another 150 if they install it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
Bummer. I've been building up the system in my Avalanche lately & one of the concerns I've had is making sure that the stereo doesn't look like anything anyone will want to steal.

I love the Avalanche because of the ability to open up the back when the weather is nice. Last summer I think I had the back of the truck open for almost 2 months. But obviously I can't lock it up very easily so the stereo needs to look pretty plain jane.

So far all I've done is install MB Quart door speakers and an 8" sub woofer under the back seat. Next I'll amp those door speakers & the amp will go under the back seat too. But I still have the stock CD deck. And I installed an MP3 input in the dash.

Might be a consideration when you get to building back up your system. Hope you get things worked out.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan,
Thanks again for the invite to wolf lakes. Im really sorry to hear about your situation as well.
Bill, im sure if you hide it well enough they wont know you have it. I too have mb quart speakers in the door. You cant even tell because they look factory.
The problem I have is that when I finally get the boat to the home what is going to stop them from jumping the fence. The boat system is much more expensive than my cars.
My wife and I talked last night about getting a dog but she wants a small yippy one where I want a dobermen, rottweiler or a grerman sheppard.
Either that or I was going to install a rod iron gate with the pointy things on the top so if you try to climb it and get stuck your probally going to get your nuts ripped off (hahaha).
Im still pissed if you cant tell.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Man, I've been there... sucks. I've had three vehicles get broken into over the years... thousands of dollars of equipment stolen... three years ago I spent $550 on a Viper alarm and had every sensor imaginable installed. While playing flag football 6 of my friends had their cars broken into. My alarm went off (after they broke the window) and the scum fled... thank God. I had my wallet, with a few hundred bucks cash in it, my iphone and my personal laptop in it.

Three weeks ago my wife's rear window was smashed. Nothing stolen, just random vandalism. Since then I've installed 4 security cameras and installed a DVR card on one of my spare PCs. C'mon bastards
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-29-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I've left my '07 GMC Sierra 4X in my driveway for two years now in a moderate crime area, nothings ever happened. Why? Obvious big & bright alarm light flashing like crazy and bone stock with nothing ever left inside. I know it's boring but it works.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
My brother walked up on a couple of guys breaking into his truck in a Dicks' Sporting Goods parking lot over Christmas. Already had his GPS and iPod out and looking to grab more. After a few words he pulled his off duty glock from his pant leg and held them there until the local police showed up. He a police officer in neighboring small town so he always has a gun on him. Talk about timing. Still cost him $200 to replace the window that was busted out.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-29-2009, 5:50 PM Reply   
^^ how didn't they make the d-bags that he clearly caught pay for it?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
He replaced it the next day out of pocket. I believe he will get reimbursed but it will not be until the court date. They were both minors.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-03-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Aaron
Why was there "a few words" , then he pulled his glock??
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
double post.

(Message edited by aarond0083 on February 03, 2009)
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-03-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
"What the h*** are you doing?" from my brother followed by aggressive profanity from the thieves. My brother is only 22 and looks pretty young so I guess they weren't intimidated enough to take off running when caught. So he was compelled to pull his gun.

He is getting reimbursed for the window. Not pressing charges of course. The kids are likely to get a ton of community service hours he said.