Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (indemand12)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-02-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
I was wanting some non bias opinions on the wake behind these boats when weighted with at least 1500lbs. I normaly ride behind a 2001 x-star or malibu vlx and I was wondering how good the wake behind this boat would be I am thinging about purchasing one but wanted to know I would like it or hate it. I know it will not be as good as a fully weighted new boat but just wondering if it would be close.
thanks
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       11-02-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
The wake would be decent with that amount of weight but it probably won't fully compare up to the X star or VLX wake.

I rode a Nautique excel but the owner did not add any extra ballast except people. Even with about 7 people in the boat, the size was meager. If you add the max the engine can handle, again, it might be decent. I just don't think you can compare it with those other boats you normally ride on.

If the boat is in good shape and you can get it for a good price then it might be worth it. You at least have a decent wake to ride on consistently.

I hope this helps.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       11-02-2004, 8:40 PM Reply   
The wake will be like a brick wall compared to what you are used to. Especially behind the barefoot. If you don't like vert wakes, you won't like the wake behind those boats with that kind of weight.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2004, 12:37 AM Reply   
As Shawn said, the wake is like a brick wall. I think they can get pretty good (for height). Expecially for the money and i think that 1500lbs is enough with 3-4 people.
Good value boat!
Old     (jayman1)      Join Date: May 2002       11-03-2004, 6:59 AM Reply   
When I had a 2001 SAN, a friend of mine from the OSU ski team went out with us. I had the 2 rear stock tanks full (250lb each) and a sac in the center ski locker full (about 550lb). We were boarding and this guy wanted to ski. He did not want to mess with trying to empty the tanks because we were running out of sunlight. At 36 mph the wake flattened out nicely and he just ripped it up. He then wanted to barefoot! He threw the ski in the boat and said just hammer it, as fast as you can go. Again...he made a deep water start and ripped it up.

My opinion would be a little bias towards Nautiques but I was still amazed at how well the wake flattened out at higher speeds even with full ballast.