Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bradd)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-02-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
I've been dealing with patellar tendinitis in my right knee for the past year. It flares up sometimes when running and biking. wakeboarding has nevver been an issue until this past week when I rode my friends ronix ibex 134cm.

My tendinitis flared up bad when I was riding right foot forward. I've never had any issues when riding my LF omega 139cm or y other friends obriens 142cm.

I noticed that I have to work harder and get tired easier with the ibex. The main thing that screwed my knee was when taking on other boats wakes.

Should i stay away from smaller boards in general from now on, or is the extra work the Ibex puts on my knee unique to that model board? I know its got a bigger rocker, a little bit wider than a typical 134cm board and 134 is short board in general but I am 5'7 155 lbs. I can feel this board drag through the water pretty good but I never felt lke I was too big for it or anything.

I was looking to get a new 135cm LF watson or harley board at the end of the year. I was thinking my knee might be ok becase those boards wont drag through the water as much, but not Im thinking about going or even 142 just to be safe. I do refer the feel of the smaller board though
Old     (LHMWakeshop)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-03-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
Naturally with smaller boards landings are harder. Less surface area for water dispersion so there more put on the smaller surface area. Ive always sized up and I always advise people that come through our shop if there in between sizes size up, unless they are set on sizing down their choice. I size up for the fact I get more float on the water, more rocker/ more pop and softer landings. Smaller boards vice versa, but they do make spins and such a bit easier just gotta work more for them.

Ibex has always been a slower board for the aggressive 3 stage it has. Many people have complained about the drag and slowness that comes with it but that comes with the aggressive 3 stage then add in its on the smaller side.

I think you'll be happier with either a 139 Watson or Harley over the 135 in the long run. I had knee problems in the past and I used to ride a 138 which was on the smaller side for me at went to a 143 couldn't be happier with it. I now switch in and out with a 139 harley and 143 and favor the 143 more at 190lbs.