Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-30-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
hey all. im not new to boats but due to the small and crowded lakes we are mainly restricted to surfing. however i am going to be getting into more wakeboarding with my new boat and found a new lake that is not really known for recreational use on a local power plant in the area.

does anyone know of some good web sites that show the proper etiquette for driving/pulling a boarder. i want to send it to my wife, and a couple of friends that are my frequent drivers. i dont want to be "that boat" when we go to the lake haha.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
nopowerturns.com
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-30-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Don't have a link but just respect other boaters. Never follow behind another boat, especially while it's pulling a rider. Never do power turns with lots of throttle unless absolutely necessary. Always protect your rider meaning be alert for other boaters while pulling a rider and when the rider falls, kill the throttle and come to a complete stop. Let the rollers pass you and slowly idle back to pick up the rider. If your lake has a rotation, abide by it (clockwise/counter clockwise) as some lakes require boaters to travel in certain directions. When using the throttle to pull riders try and rest your fore arm next to the throttle and place your index and thumb on the throttle. This gives you the ability to smoothly shift and throttle up instead of just hammering down and ripping your rider out of the water. Your biggest concerns should be safety and if it's wakeboarding your into try not to chop out the lake when your rider falls or your not pulling anyone. It's tough and by all means have fun that's what it's all about! Hope that helps
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-30-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
dave..im aware of all the things you mentioned. i guess im referring to more into how to show them to follow/sharing a line with other boarding boats, and how to turn around at the end of the run and get back into the correct line to try and keep the water as smooth as possible.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       08-30-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Bill-I got the answer. Just show them how. What easier way than tha?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-30-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
1. DONT SURF - go to the ocean to surf. Or at least surf the chop, not the glass.
2. DONT POWER TURN
3. DONT POWER TURN
4. Dont pull a rider up in front of another boat -"to get them up before they pass" -just wait a few minutes, let them pass, then go.
5. When passing a down rider while your pulling your rider - stick your hand up in the air to let the rider and other boat know you see the down rider.
6. If you pull into a slough or cove with boats anchored - dont continue pulling your rider through there. Its obviously a anchor/chill cove. Stop turn around and pull your rider the other way. Or drop your anchor and chill a while.
7. When passing by anchored boats - its a NO WAKE ZONE. Go less than 5mph. Dont be the WALLY who slows down to like 10mph(thinking hes doing you a favor by actually slowing down) and throws up a monster wake.
8. ALWAYS-ALWAYS-ALWAYS - stop and help any boat in need of assistance/towing. No Matter What.
9. DONT POWER TURN
10. DONT POWER TURN
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       08-30-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
- PowerTurns

CWB also did a pretty funny, yet informative, pamphlet a while back. See if somebody around here could track one down, but driving a boat comes down to common sense and respect. Think before you do something, and if you would be taken aback seeing someone else do it, you shouldn't either.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-30-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
Bill best thing to do is always follow close to the shore line (there are exceptions especially if the shore line is covered with sand bars and rocks). The further away from the shore line toward the center of the lake is always choppiest. At the end of the run turn in the safest direction (primarily away from shore line depending on your position) and come back in the same exact line you drove the last time. The reason you want to come back down the exact line you started is because your rollers were already pushed away from the boat so if you turn around and make your second pass further from the shore than your now tracking through the rollers of your previous pass. I hope that makes sense and I'm sure you know all of this too but like Travis said, the best way is to teach them yourself. It takes practice and repitiion so take em out and let them dry run a few passes.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-30-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Teach them what to do, but also teach them why you do it. I had a friend that always powerturned, no matter how many times I told them not to, until I explained why powerturning is the dumbest thing since Jersey Shore.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-30-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
Teach them what to do, but also teach them why you do it. I had a friend that always powerturned, no matter how many times I told them not to, until I explained why powerturning is the dumbest thing since Jersey Shore.
yup, the why typically helps big time! dont just be a rule nazi.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-31-2012, 4:36 AM Reply   
Also don't follow a boat too closely, especially if they're towing a rider. Can't tell the amount of times I've had to stop doing tricks in case I fell and get sucked under some @sshole's boat who was 5 feet behind me
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-31-2012, 5:15 AM Reply   
I live on a lake and I know if anybody's at a spot I'm trying to ride I flip out on em. I would say if u see somebody already riding find another spot. If there is nowhere else. Wait your turn. Real talk!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-31-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredthagnar View Post
I live on a lake and I know if anybody's at a spot I'm trying to ride I flip out on em. I would say if u see somebody already riding find another spot. If there is nowhere else. Wait your turn. Real talk!
How do u define a spot on the lake? I boat on a lake that is prob 3miles by 2ish. Basically if wind is blowing you only have 1 of the 4 shore lines. If your not there first can u not use that shore?
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       08-31-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
I'm sure whoever is there first isn't going to be riding for hours on end. When they stop and switch riders pull your rider when u stop they'll go. It seems to really work out on our lake. Mine is connected to two others so the options are a little more open the just one lake. But when there Is only one good spot. I'll wait my turn
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-31-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Bill

Everything here is good advice, It is great that you are seeking it out as well.
I will add a few things.

Don't expect everyone else to be as educated as you are. There are very few people that you will be riding around that will know any of this. It is also going to be the other people skiing or boarding that are going frustrate you the most because you might think they would know. The best thing to do is pull up when they are stopped and talk through what you want to do. Give a compliment on their boat or something "thanks jarrod" and ask to share the line and set a plan. This is not always going to be easy or even an option but if you do it each time you'll eventually have an mostly educated place to ride smooth water. '

I pulled up to a boat recently to talk over sharing a line. It went something like this
Hey man how it going?
Good and yourself.
Was thinking we could share this line this afternoon do you mind? "Jarrod telling me to compliment their boat"
No that would be great. You want to run a circle? "No this is not a joke"
No how about we follow each others line and turn there and there and we can keep our distance when passing on the drivers side.

The funny thing about that conversation was they were pretty experienced riders but had no clue how to drive.

Also I am not sure where the guys ride that don't follow another riders line but that does not work anywhere I ride. We share lines all the time because if you want to ride your going to share a line. Never ride to close but sharing the same line can be done safely with good drivers and some understanding.

Last edited by FunkyBunch; 08-31-2012 at 7:34 AM.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       08-31-2012, 8:04 AM Reply   
One thing I always do is it I come into a bay or cove, or even an open area where there is glass and someone is slalom skiing, I either turn around and leave instantly, or if someone isn't riding, I pull over to the side and let them finish. If you slalom ski at all you'd know how annoying it is when somebody comes and tears up your perfect water, especially when its a tuber or a surfer!
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-31-2012, 1:16 PM Reply   
If someone is running a line down a bank, don't pull up and try to anchor your boat in the middle of their line. We had someone try to pull that crap on us a couple of weeks ago.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-31-2012, 1:39 PM Reply   
Can everyone that has posted in this thread come to my lake instead of the yahoos that are there now? I like all of you better than I like them.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-02-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
I agree with everyone too. MIGUEL had some very good pionts. There are alot of uneducated drivers and riders out there. We have two very good cove's and a channel we can ride in at our lake, but it never fails all the surfers and tubers want to be in there just DOIN IT UP.

Be respectful and safe. NO POWER TURNS!!!!!!

Don't be afraid to show em the exit either. I have kids with me all the time. If someone is a threat to their safety. I WILL ASK YOU TO LEAVE.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-02-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
We were all anchored yesterday morning at like 9 am (about 5 boats tied together). Some Turbo Wally (orange jacket, gloves riding about 16 behind his Malibu) did pass after pass coming within 20 feet of all of our boats. So close that he had to go to the center of the wake to go past. Its was amazing how stupid people are. We started casting fish hooks right there and they still didn;'t get the message. Finally I had to just get in my boat and block the line!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-02-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
We were all anchored yesterday morning at like 9 am (about 5 boats tied together). Some Turbo Wally (orange jacket, gloves riding about 16 behind his Malibu) did pass after pass coming within 20 feet of all of our boats. So close that he had to go to the center of the wake to go past. Its was amazing how stupid people are. We started casting fish hooks right there and they still didn;'t get the message. Finally I had to just get in my boat and block the line!
Really, done riding and anchored at 9am? Wow.

And where were u anchored? Just maybe due to wind and such u guys were anchored in the only good line?
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-02-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
gloves, and riding at 16mph... I seriously doubt they were there to ride the only good line....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-02-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDefacto View Post
gloves, and riding at 16mph... I seriously doubt they were there to ride the only good line....
Hey don't knock the gloves! I pull out some old weightlifting gloves when my hands are all torn up from several days in a row sometimes.

And who pulls someone at 16??? Guess if your learning an working on backslides or something. I just found it weird that boats anchor up already at 9am and seen plenty o idiots anchor right up where good lines are.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-03-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
so many retards driving boats, not talking about people here.
its really simple, drive as though it was you wanting perfect conditions
I think theres not enough face smashing lately, so many A-holes out there thinking what they do doesn't affect anyone else selfish bastards
1. don't pull up in front of anyone approaching,in either direction. wait a minute after they go by
2. don't pull in front of some heading in the opposite direction sending starter rollers there way. wait your F'n turn Dick
3. rider falls, settle boat down then turn your boat around and idle back check for other boaters then coast is clear pull your rider up. if you have to power turn and race back because your rider fell a mile back then you need to be shot. get the Fauck off my boat.
4. use your common sense, its really not that difficult as long as your not a selfish moron f'n dick
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-06-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
so many retards driving boats, not talking about people here.
its really simple, drive as though it was you wanting perfect conditions
I think theres not enough face smashing lately, so many A-holes out there thinking what they do doesn't affect anyone else selfish bastards
1. don't pull up in front of anyone approaching,in either direction. wait a minute after they go by
2. don't pull in front of some heading in the opposite direction sending starter rollers there way. wait your F'n turn Dick
3. rider falls, settle boat down then turn your boat around and idle back check for other boaters then coast is clear pull your rider up. if you have to power turn and race back because your rider fell a mile back then you need to be shot. get the Fauck off my boat.
4. use your common sense, its really not that difficult as long as your not a selfish moron f'n dick
WOW, I agree, but it sounds like you just came off the lake and someone made you super ANGRY.

BUT I AGREE. I also love it when people drive wide open into a cove (usually just a cruiser) and make a super power turn and head right back out. LOVE IT.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-06-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'm always on the water and see this way too often especially from Memorial day to Labor day
same D-Bags with me first attitude one the highways but behind the controls of a boat
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-06-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
You guys have it bad. You're more than welcome to come visit my private lake. Sunday was the busiest Ive ever seen it...1 boat, 2 kayaks and 2 jetskis lol

Theres around 15 inboard/vdrive boats on lifts that seldomly go out.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-06-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
MCXSTAR - I agree with you 1,000,000 %
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-06-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Be respectful of the boats that are low in the water. I can't believe how many times someone has done the 10mph pass in front of me throwing rollers that are double the height of my gunnels or bow.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-06-2012, 1:28 PM Reply   
^^I hear you on that one. My old boat sat really low and I can't count the amount of times it got swamped thanks to douches rolling by 20ft away.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-07-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
A lot of websites that claim to explain responsible boating actually only list safety practices. I'm all about safety (I'm the oldest 26 year old in the world), but safety tips can only carry you so far when etiquette is being questioned.

The problem I find most on the lakes around here is a lack of courtesy and common sense. The problem with not having either of those things is that they're hard to teach. The same people who speed on the highway while towing a boat are more than likely the same people who will drive a boat recklessly. That means if you see them driving crazy on the road, be aware of the boat they'll have on the water. Here's what we've always done, keep in mind that etiquette doesn't start on the water, it starts on the ramp.

At home and the ramp:

1. Get your boat ready at home as best as you can. Put the stuff in the boat that won't fly away BEFORE you get to the boat ramp.
2. Don't speed driving to the ramp... don't be that guy I mentioned up there ^^^ Not only does it make you look bad, poorly attached seat covers can take flight (trust me).
3. Once you make it to the ramp, stage your boat. Turn on your blower, put the plug in, and load any gear that you haven't already (ice chest, towels, bags... etc).
4. Once the boat is staged, the only things you should have left to do is put it on the water and add your crew. It's best to have someone who can drive the boat already in it once you get it in the water. That way they can take it to the dock and load the crew while you pull the truck and trailer to a parking spot.

On the water (these don't have an order really):

• Mind the no-wake or slow zones! They're there for a reason. That doesn't only mean that you should go slow while in the zone. It also means if your pulling a rider stay away from the the buoys. Last weekend a surfer and wakebaorder both were driving so close to the no-wake buoy they could have touched it. It caused chaos at the ramp. Wakes were coming in and making it harder for others to load/unload their boat. When it makes it harder to load the boat, it backs up the ramp.
• As mentioned before, no power turns. Bring it to an idle and let the rudder turn you around. The only time you should power turn is to avert some form of danger.
• Don't drive too closely to another boat. Give yourself at least 2 rope lengths between you and them if at all possible.
• Watch where you're going! Sounds obvious... but to some people it's not. Use your mirror to watch your rider while keeping your head FORWARD.
• Yield to boats that have the right-of-way. If you're pulling out of a no wake zone and see a boat coming your way, just wait a second to let them go by (this is where courtesy comes in to play).
• If your trying to get your rider up real quick before a boat passes by, don't! Just let the boat go by, get the rollers out of the way, and get them up once you're clear.
• If you see a rider down, give their boat a thumbs up. That way they don't worry if you see them or not.
• If you're anchoring your boat to chill for a while, do it in an appropriate area. Don't do it in the line everyone has been using (again, this is just courtesy).
• Don't give the sheriff or game warden attitude... they just want to make sure you have the appropriate safety equipment and they'll move on. It's that simple. Much like a traffic stop, showing a little respect can go a long way.

I'll think of more after this weekend. I'm bound to see mistakes then

The best etiquette to practice is that of awareness. Watch out for those not paying attention or not caring. They're everywhere!

Last edited by petrie141; 09-07-2012 at 9:47 AM.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-08-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
Where's the lake LR3