Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-16-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
OK guys, pulled the boat out to start it up in the driveway yesterday. I like to make sure everything is working OK so I don't have to discover a problem at the lake and possibly blow a whole day. Better to find the problem early and fix...

Anyway, started up the boat with the fake a lake, let the water run for a minute or two to prime the impeller. Boat started fine and ran fine, but upon feeling the exhaust manifolds, only one was hot. and the heater ran cold. Temp gauge indicated 165 or so for several minutes...

So, why would only one manifold be really hot to the touch, and the other one be as cold as the water coming in from the hose? I also noticed that the fake-a-lake had been picked up off the ground, presumably from strong suction from the water intake (yes, i had my hose on full blast).

Anything to worry about here? Everything was running fine, except the heater blew cold. Water coming out of the hot exhaust port side seemed warm, other exhaust port seemed cold. Is this normal? or should I be worried?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
Don't know for sure but sounds like you may have a restriction on one side. My exhaust manifolds both run about the same temp.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-16-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
hmmm, that's what I was thinking too Aaron. But I was also wondering if it just wasnt getting enuf water (since the fake a lake was sucked up to the intake).
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-16-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Yes it could be starving for water. Follow the hose from your through hull/water scoop and it will lead you to the transmission cooler. Pull the hose loose from the inlet side and make sure it is free of debris.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-16-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
Don't worry about the heater, it won't blow cold til you rev it up on the lake get some water pumping through the heater lines. It takes good amount of water pressure to get through those heater hoses. Not sure on the manifold quite yet but my guess would be it's not a problem. I bet if you ran it long enough and throttled it up the temps would even out but not sure.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-17-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Do you mean "it won't blow warm?". I hope your right - that's
my hope to. The lake is a ways from the house so really hope there's no prob or the day will be mostly shot...
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-17-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
When I run mine in the drive way . Once the engine is at temp(160) the mabnifolds are about the same in temp. At least to the touch.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-17-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
I had this problem with my 2007 Black Scorp.I found that the clamps that hold the perfectpass servo to the cooling hose were obstructing the function of the check valve on the fitting at the thermostat.Is the starboard exhaust the warm side?
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-17-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Yes if starboard is drivers side lol. Where do I start Jay?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-18-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Look at the hoses at the top of the engine,the perfectpass servo is hose clamped to one of the hoses going to the port exhaust manafold.If you removed this hose you will find a ball and spring mechanism or check valve,if the hose clamp on the servo is too tight it collapses the hose and restricts the operation of the ball.I just loosened the clamps and moved the servo towards the fitting and tightened the clamp so it was on the end of the fitting .The other clamp is far enough away from the fitting as to not effect the operation.Hope this corrects your problem.My dealer was trying to tell me it's normal cause the tap for the dripless is on the starboard exhaust.I almost laughed in his face at that one.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-19-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Jay, Really appreciate the advice. I will definitely check this out over the weekend. Sounds very plausible. This board rocks!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-24-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
Derek,did you get to check out your boat this weekend?
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-25-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
one side of motor will always run 10-15 degrees higher

if you ever had an over heat alarm, then the t-stat is failing also
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-25-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Didn't get a chance to start it up again yet. Looked at the perfect pass hose clamps. They are on the side that stayed cold. I need to put It in the water to check it out more thoroughly.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2010, 4:02 AM Reply   
Mine wasn't 10-15 degrees,one was as cold as the water the other was almost too hot to touch.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-26-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
Same with mine.