Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (dday53)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-03-2008, 12:35 PM Reply   
Im debating on either monster or titan tower. Same basic designs different prices. Is titan worth the extra money? Does monster really stay sturdy being a universal fit?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-03-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
I have heard nothing but good things about monster towers. plus, the customer service is TOP NOTCH.
with that said, I had a titan on my old malibu, and loved it. I guess it depends on what kind of boat you have. some towers dont look good with certain boat. IMO.

(Message edited by ttrigo on April 03, 2008)
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-03-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
I've installed both. The titan folds easier, is sturdy, and quieter. That said. The moster is a nice tower. It was a wash on installation. The monster is easier to place the feet due to the adjustments in the tower, but the titan is easier to assemble and didn't need as many hands.

(Message edited by siuski on April 03, 2008)
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have a Titan and love it. It is very solid and I think it looks better than the monster. It is very easy to fold down with only one bolt to unscrew (it may be harder for you depending on what type of boat you have).
Old     (awakeat816)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-03-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
I have no experience with titan towers but I had a monster tower on my last boat and loved it. It was always solid, and never rattled (even on weekends when the water was super rough!) For the price monster towers are a great buy.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-03-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
If you talking about a titan I, then I would go with the monster or even better the MT2 (monster tower 2). They just look bad as hell. Also the customer service from monster is simply the best. Those guys will bend over backwards to make sure your happy long after the sale.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
Titan is FAR stronger & quieter, especially with the tower loaded with speakers & racks in rough water.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-04-2008, 4:08 AM Reply   
Nice biased statement. But hey you might have been a on a boat with a poorly installed monster. Which would have to give the nod to Titan I because it would be harder to mess up the installation. I have been behind both and neither one seemed sturdier than the other and both were loaded down with speakers and racks.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-04-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Loaded down I think it would be impossible for any jointed tower to not move some. Mine moves when it gets choppy.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
And my comment is biased??

The fact is the Monster has at least 2 more joints in it than the Titan. And they move two different ways so they can install on more boats. More joints result in more movement, period. There is no bias in that comment.

Titan designs their tower for a specific boat so those joints are eliminated. Less movement is the bottom line.

Your right about the install though. Do it poorly & your Monster will be terrible. There is a guy on Sammamish who has the Monster on an older Nautique. I swear it has this strange lean to one side. I've never asked him about it but suspect the install is the problem. He may just need to loosen all the joints, stand it up straight, and then tighten it all down again.

I know of another install on a PS190. He won't ride with boards or foils in the rack because the movement is so bad. He pulls them all down into the boat whenever their riding. I suggested he give the company a call & see what the problem is. If it wasn't a PS190 non-bowrider, I'd think it was flex in the hull itself, but their not exactly a flexible hull. Probably just needs to have all the joints tightened up..... possibly something you always need to watch on the Monster?
Old     (monstertowertom)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-04-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
Bill, If you think your friend with the PS190 would be cool with you sending me his contact info I would be more than happy to contact him to get things right.
Thanks

Tom@MonsterTower.com
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I appreciate the customer service, Tom. And I will certainly pass your info on to him.
Its finally getting warm enough around here that we'll have the boats out again.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-04-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I had a monster tower on my previous boat and it was great. However the loaded up one I referred to was a buddies who had a 4 6X9 box and 6 boards on it. The monster tower is designed that once installed there is no joint movement. That's why you can't simply move it to another boat later if you wanted to. That's also why the guy with the PS190 that leans is probably screwed and can't change fix the tower if he's already drilled it. I don't think the monster is better strength wise I just know that a properly installed one is just as strong and as quite as a titan and I just prefer the looks of the monster.
Old     (titanwake)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-04-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Undoubtedly both towers are good products that serve the purpose for each they were designed.

For only $100 more, our Series I is a heck of a deal for a custom made wakeboard tower that is designed specifically for the boat it will be installed on. I honestly don't know how we make them in the US and can still sell them for that price.

www.titanwake.com
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-04-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Yes Titan is worth the $$$, by far the best tower on the market for rigidity. So my advice is purchase the Titan and a Monster Tower calendar.... :-)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-04-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I've spent a lot of time around towers, and IMO the Titan I is still the simplest and stiffest of them all. Monster builds a great tower too, but given the choice I'd take the Titan.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-04-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
i cant give you my true feel unless you re-post with what kind of boat. both are sick towers and will work great. but again what boat is it going on?
Old     (210hippy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'd go with titan for all of above reasons. Have you ever heard one negative comment about one?
Old     (dday53)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-05-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Thanks guys the feedback is awesome!! I didn't post the boat out of embarrassment i guess. I have a 89 Searay 210BR. Not really typical boat for boarding or a tower but I HAVE to get one anyway.
Old    diywake            04-06-2008, 3:08 AM Reply   
Derrek,

Check this one out $799.00 with free board rack and free shipping.
Upload
http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=564
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
I am a long-time I/O owner and about to bring home my first inboard, a 1987 Supra SunSport. I too am in the tower hunt. A lot of people set their sights on the best towers, and later compromise when it's time to bring out the wallet. So who knows what I'll actually get.

The best looking towers now-a-days don't have any cross-supports to block the driver's view. This, plus other criteria (no rattle, good warranty and service) leaves only the Monster and Titan IMHO (that diy just posted looks pretty good, though).

My only issue with the Titan I is (and I'm sorry to pick on any product) the way it looks style-wise. When you look at it from the front, I think it looks odd that the front supports connect above the driver in the "middle of the windshield" as opposed to the outsides near the sides of the boat.

Doesn't anyone else find this a little funny? That combined with the squared-off rollbar (back supports and top crossbar) look and I just am not digging it.

The Monster Tower, I like the way the legs are oriented. My only issue about the style of the MT is the very top piece where the sets of legs connect and the rope is mounted. Doesn't it seem silly to have two sets of top-bars for the legs as opposed to all connecting to one top-bar? Seems like extra material to pay for and have hanging up there all the time. Comparatively the Titan is a cleaner look.

And guys, I know your towers are top-notch for a pretty good price, but I must comment that the prices in the tower market have SKYROCKETED lately. WTF is up with towers being sold stock for $1600 or more? That is silly. We pay enough for this hobby already. I remember seeing old Monster Tower I ads for under $1k back in the day...I just think the appropriate price point for me is about $800. But I'm not going to sacrifice quality. Thanks for listening!

WakeMikey
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-06-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
The Titan derives a lot of its stiffness from the wishbone design. Monster was taking a small loss or at least making no profit on the $995 deal, to get their towers out in the market. It definitely seemed to work. I have designed and had several towers built (I can weld, but it ain't pretty), and you can barely get it done for $800. If you're selling them, you have to pay for product liability insurance too.

Towers haven't really changed much in price in the last 8 yrs or so, if anything they've gone down. This is pretty amazing considering the price of metals has about tripled in that same time period.

I bet any tower under $1000 is going to be made of aluminum, and a one-size-fits-all design, which means more joints where motion and rattling will happen.
Old    nwwakerider            04-06-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
I was debating on a tower and it was also between monster and titan. I went with a monster tower and it is a great tower. Very easy to install and havent had a single problem with it. Im pretty sure monster has blem towers for much cheaper. That might be something to look at.
Old    nwwakerider            04-06-2008, 11:43 PM Reply   
I was debating on a tower and it was also between monster and titan. I went with a monster tower and it is a great tower. Very easy to install and havent had a single problem with it. Im pretty sure monster has blem towers for much cheaper. That might be something to look at.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-07-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
They do have blems but only in white powdercoat! Hah! I need a black one. Does anyone EVER see MT's selling used???

I saw this post above:

<<The monster tower is designed that once installed there is no joint movement. That's why you can't simply move it to another boat later if you wanted to. That's also why the guy with the PS190 that leans is probably screwed and can't change fix the tower if he's already drilled it. I don't think the monster is better strength wise I just know that a properly installed one is just as strong and as quite as a titan and I just prefer the looks of the monster.>>

So I was looking at someone's install plans for MTs on Supras. I thought I read you have drill through the tower support leg once you set your distances? Is this true? So this would really mean that the tower is a one-boat-only thing?

Wow. Wouldn't you WANT to be able to take it to a new boat? If I sink lots of money into my boat it doesn't mean I'll be able to just up the asking price accordingly. I would want to be able to put on another boat.... huh. Veeerry interresting...

(Message edited by wakemikey on April 07, 2008)