Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (sherris50)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-12-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
My grandson is almost 2 yrs. old and his father wakeboards with him on his hip. I just wanted to hear opinions from those of you with lots of experience. Thanks.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-12-2007, 6:54 AM Reply   
I've personally seen a 3 year old little girl riding, in fact, here is the picture of her that won a contest here on Wakeworld. She did surface 180s and carved all over the wake. I've held young children on my board while riding, but I've never personally taught anyone younger than 6.

Upload
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-12-2007, 7:02 AM Reply   
As long as they are strong enough to flip themselves over with the board on if they land on their face, I would say let them decide when they want to ride.
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
Hahah she is so cute!! Look how big the bindings are on her little legs!!

Thats gonna be my kids when I have some =)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
The bindings are large enough and left loose so that they come off if she falls, she does not have to flip the board over. I've watched her and her sister ride both started before they were 3.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-12-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Let them try it when they are ready doing push them to do it. The worst thing you can do is make them feel as though they have to do it, remember it’s about having fun. When my 4yr old nephew was ready to ride I had him take a set with me (below picture) to get a feel for it. Half way through the ride he was ready to do it by himself. The first time he tried it by himself he got up the first try and rode for a few hundred yards. Now he has the bug and wants to ride by himself all the time.

My suggestion would be to take it slow and offer lots of encouragement. Even if he doesn’t get up the first try tell them they are doing very good. My brother in law sat in the water with him his first try just to show him how to hold the handle, body position, etc. My boat speed was about 10mph, you don’t have to go very fast since they are so light. Good luck, if done right you will have another family member hooked on wakeboarding.
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on September 12, 2007)
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
my little brother started at 4
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Parks started at 18 months.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-12-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Leo, are you sure? I thought Parks got up on the H-ski when he was 6 months, and but didn't get into wakeboarding until much older.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
I think that Parks holds the record under a year on skis. Not sure how many months. I find incredibly hard to believe.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
parks doesn't hold the record for youngest on skis, the owner of active water sports kids do, his oldest son was 5 months and 26 days, youngest song was 5months and 11 days and his daughter was 4 months and 9 days
Old     (jrodski)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-12-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Parks had the record at one time with 6 months. Looks like no more, according to entrust.
Old     (beachbum22)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
How the....Can babies even stand at 4 months??
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
parks was 6 months and 29 days on skis
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
One of the first times Parks skied was in our backyard. Pete his dad would put both of Parks feet in the palm of his hand lift him up above his head and Parks would balance in them. Parks couldnt even walk then!!! I'll never forget that day, especially watching Betty his Mom, breast feed Parks and then my Dad slapping me for looking. I was only 13 yrs old so it was pretty cool to watch. After that Pete took Parks to Cypress Gardens to make the record official with Guiness there to document it.
I started when I was 2 yrs old and my son was 2 as well when he started skiing.
Old     (jrodski)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-12-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
woreout,

Do you ever us part of this story to your advantage? "So Parks, remember when I caught you tuggin on your momma's t*t?

Could just be me, I found that hilarious.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-12-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
1 hour old is too young...
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-13-2007, 5:38 AM Reply   
My friend and I taught his kid to wakeboard about a month before his 4th birthday. Not carry him around, or between the legs...that is not wakeboarding. But he could get up on his own at 4.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-13-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
My son could also get up by himself at four. Having been on a skateboard since he was two years old really helped him in the balance department.

Jman