Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
My buddy and I are planning on spending a week or so in Spain in July. We'll be hopping on a couple of Space A military flights and landing at Rota NAS. This will only be my second time using Space A, but I'm aware of all the potential problems w/ delays and such so we've got a few days set aside for travel on either side of the trip.

Anyways, anyone have any advice on things to do/see in the area? Probably going to be staying pretty cheap while we're there. Thanks!
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-08-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
My wife and I were in Southern Spain a few years back, but on the East coast, not the West where you'll be. We stayed in Marbella, which is about as far North as where you'll be. One day, I'd definitely recommend driving down to Gibraltar for the day, its a very cool place. Its about a 2 hour drive if I remember correctly. Most people take the Gondola (sp) up to the top, but I'd recommend doing one of the van tours to the top and back down. The ride alone is worth it, I can't even put into words how crazily those people drive up and down those steep narrow roads. Plus its a big rock and they drive you to all the places of interest, it would be too much to walk. Its also pretty interesting to have a few drinks and watch all the ship traffic in the port and straights. It looks like they're all about to run into each other.

Other than that, I can only point you in the direction of stuff to do on the Southern East coast.

I wanted to go deep sea fishing, but every local told me that the best fishing was on the Portugal side if you're into that. I didn't want to make the drive, but you won't be far at all.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-09-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
I've been to Marbella too, as well as going to Gibraltar which is well worth a visit, not only to see the rock but Duty Free stuff there is crazy cheap as well (watch out for the monkeys on the rock, they're not scared of people and they will steal your stuff looking for food) we also went up into the mountains to Ronda and visited the oldest bull ring in Spain which shouldn't be too far from there. It is a crazy place, all stone bridges and streets, massive cliffs, very hot in Summer though you won't want to do too much walking around. We spent a lot of time in the pool at the hotel.

Also if you've never been to Spain before you should be aware of Siesta, nothing is open at all from about 2 pm to 5 pm, including the bank so get your money exchanged or whatever in the morning.

Last edited by jtnz; 06-09-2010 at 6:26 PM.