Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-02-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Hello to my fellow AZ wakeboarders!! We are thinking of taking the boat out on Sunday and I know Saguaro can get really packed. Has anyone been lately? How is Canyon or Roosevelt? We live out in East Mesa so those are the lakes we go to.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I hit up Canyon last Sunday, and it was a MESS. Some j-arse in an orange/white X-35 pulled a power turn off his trailer and nearly hit us. No remorse from him, somehow it was my fault he was a dork.

Anyway, I'd avoid Saguaro and Canyon on the weekends. I've been to Bartlett on several weekends, and while it gets busy, there still seems to be plenty of lake for everyone. We spend quite a bit of time up at Roosevelt on the weekends because we can take advantage of a family member with a house up there. Avoid the main marina area of Roosevelt on the weekends, and you'll have a great time. If you can convince the family/crew to make the longer drive and back to Roosevelt for a day of riding, I'd say go there on a weekend day.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-02-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
Saguaro sucks on the weekends right now, I went up to Roosevelt on saturday and rode until we were tired. Hey Scott, how did the sac workout for ya?
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-03-2009, 12:59 AM Reply   
Pleasant was packed full of idiots on Saturday last weekend. People who can follow simple rules of the lake and jet skis who think its ok to come within 20' of the boat to jump the wake. I am thankful my days off are Tuesday - Thursdays.. have the lake myself most of the day!
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
I second Steve, Roosevelt is the place to be. The lake always has smooth water on it somewhere, and not a lot of boats.
Old     (azwakbdr)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
I am in the process of convincing my wife that the drive to Roosevelt will be worth it. It's too bad that the close lakes get that crazy with rude people. If anyone goes up there on Sunday look for us; we have a 2004 Mobius LSV that is dark blue! :-)
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2009, 7:05 AM Reply   
I am getting frustrated with the AZ lakes. They are way too crowded and ALWAYS windy. There are too many meat heads in race boats and rookie wakeboat drivers that dont know how to pull a straight line. People just need to take turns in coves, instead of 10 boats pulling at the same time.

(Message edited by 96formula on June 03, 2009)

(Message edited by 96formula on June 03, 2009)
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-03-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
I agree Rich. It's just difficult trying to get guys on the same page.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-03-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Steve, I just sent you a PM.
Old    mcbean7            06-03-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
I'm almost done with Saguaro/Canyon/Pleasant on weekends completely. We hit Saguaro tuesday or thursday EARLY now and it's nice. We only do weekends if the family wants to go tubing. For anything else, weekends just suck.
Old     (smartin)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-03-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
I may be moving to AZ. How far is Roosevelt from the Scottsdale area? Also how is Saguaro on Fridays?
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-03-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
Steve, the sac worked out great. I was able to eliminate the additional sac sitting on the seat with the new/larger locker sac - thank you

We give ourselves 1.75-2 hrs from Tempe/Chandler to Roosevelt. We can/have made the trip quicker, but, I like to err on the side of caution. We also go towards the east end of the lake through Superior/Globe areas. I'm not sure how long it takes from Scottsdale to Roosevelt taking the Bee-line towards Payson to the west end of the lake. I'd guess 1.5-1.75 hours??

Here's a Roosevelt backdrop photo of my cousin from Memorial weekend.

Upload
Old     (blondesrule)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-03-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
Also wait to gas up in globe at the AM PM just before you make the left hand turn towards Roosevelt. That way you don't have to pull the mountains full. You can dock at School House, Grapevine, or go all the way to Windy Hill. Windy Hill is nice, if it gets windy, you can drop into Salamae cove right across the lake. Always smooth there, till the tubers come in.