Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
This sport is so damn addicting! Second time out and the fear has been replaced with awesome heart pumping adrenaline! Still have plenty to learn but my form is coming along and my average lap times were vastly improved over my first track day. All I can think about now is when I can get back on the track.
Attached Images

Old     (fly2high)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-13-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Hopefully this hasn't replaced wakeboarding ... the true ROCK in your heart!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Nice.. What are you riding? F2?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Jarrod,

Yes it's a super clean 93. The guy I bought it from did all the work turning it into a vintage racer. After one season He decided he was to old to be risking his neck on the track and I happened to be the first guy to reply to his add on CL. It's the perfect begginer's bike, fast enough to keep pace with the modern 600s yet forgiving enough to keep me out of trouble.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
it sure seems like it would be cooler in the water rather than in leather, boots' and a helmet full face of course.this summers heat coming lets see?i,ll stick with the wakeboarding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
That was my first bike. 1993 F2, same colors and everything!

Robert, every sport offers something different. I've done about 5 track days and it is a wild experience. Not sure what kind of temps Cliff was dealing with, but I've done track days in triple digit temps. The temperature isn't an issue unless your'e sitting in the pits for a long time waiting for your turn. As a matter of fact, the hotter it is, the stickier the tires get, the greater my confidence when I plant my knee on the ground at a hundo.

Enjoy cliff. I'm looking at Ducati's. Hoping to be back in the game eventually. Wife is pushing back this time around.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
My favorite shot. This dood tried to take me on the outside.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
one more
Attached Images

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
Robertt,

I'll never lose my love of the water and boarding with friends, but this sport takes your adrenaline to a level you couldn't possibly imagine!

Jarrod,

Love the pics! I want to get my puck on the pavement so bad. The control riders keep telling me to concentrate on my lines and smooth corner exits and not to worry about dragging a knee yet. I managed to lap the slower riders my last two sessions Friday. They told me I've gotta move up to group two next time out.
I'm already signed up for another track day the 23rd. This sport is so intense, I just can't get enough!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Riding on the track is the biggest addrenaline rush of anything I've ever done. It makes a car on the track seem tame. It's soo cool. Once you get that back tire spinning up and sliding you'll freak. It's the coolest feeling. First time I got there I came back into the pits... I thought my tire was going flat. Turns out I was just finally starting to get it. Crashing happens, too, but hey.... whatever. I was lucky enough to crash, pick up my bike and ride back to the pits. Sliding on the concrete at 80+ is interesting, but the gear works well.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
Incidently...... Get that a$$ off the seat. Your outside elbow should be almost on the tank. Lead with your chin and get that bike leaning. You'll be on your knee in no time. I'll post a pic in a minute when I get back to my other computer. It's from behind, so you can see some body positioning.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-14-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
you guys are nuts. But I'm sure its a blast. Good luck!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-14-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
Here ya go.... This guy on the SV and I had a good dice. He was on slicks, so he worked me in the corners. I was was on DOT tires, but had grunt on him in the straights. I finally snuck by on the inside of a corner and left him behind. So much fun. I think I could get hooked on racing bikes in a hurry if I didn't have a wife and house to worry about.
Attached Images

Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
Cliff - is that a camera on your helmet? Looks like you're having a great time and so much safer than the street.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
man i'm taking a beating . i love motorcycles as much as the next guy. in fact i went to freddie spencers racing school in las vegas. i also have been to american supercamps with danny walker and chris carr many times also.i was just making a observation.you guys just need to chill.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Robert,

I don't think anyone is poking at you or slighting you just sharing our experiences. Your lucky to have had the chance to learn at Freddie's school before it went belly up.

Evan,

I'm working on getting my ass off the seat. Maybe at the next track day a couple weeks from now.

Fatsac,

Not a camera, wind operated leds that flash at the back when riding. You can only see them at night.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-14-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
I thought we were just having a conversation. No one is beating on anyone.

Knee on the ground helps alot. It's like having a sensor or gauge to indicate where you are. It's also like a kickstand. If the bike front low slides (like Evan) :-) then at least your'e not falling far to the ground.

I was guilty of focussing too much on the knee when I first started.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-14-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
A buddy and I are looking at doing this sm track day as well. I've been told this course is an absolute blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r71D7Y4CxL0
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Damn that place looks sketchy! Do you have a supermoto bike?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Damn that place looks sketchy! Do you have a supermoto bike?
Yup.

I call her Mrs. Piggy

Signed up for the track again next Wednesday. A few of the guys out there have been running their sumos on the track just for fun and it looks like a blast. I'm bringing both bikes this time. I'm curious to see how my big ole XR Piggy will do. We're planning on doing the true SM track on the 9th of July.
Attached Images

Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
This all makes me want to get back out on the track. Ha, ha, ha.. Not good.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-15-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
Yeah? Should we do this? hahaha
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-15-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
I'd run it past my wife, but I don't want to have to dislodge a high heal from my a$$.

Better that we just buy bikes and explain later.
Old     (bg__dereks_mom)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-15-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
Great shots guys. Looks like fun.

Evan And J rod, go for it. Your only young once. I miss going to the races every weekend.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-16-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
cool!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Love that XR. The aircooler's just look clean.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-17-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
Great shots guys. I just sold my last bike and I miss it already.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm going to look at a couple of bikes this weekend.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-18-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Chris, I'm bikeless right now, too (except dirtbike, but that doesn't count). I hear ya. Responsibility has the better of me for the time being. We'll see what happens. I'd love to have another street bike, but it's just one more expensive hobby.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-19-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
jarrod and evan, dam you two, lol. i like evans plan buy now explain later, it has worked with my past 10 dirt bikes.....
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-19-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
oh and jarrod do you have something you wanna share with us????
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsiderippa View Post
oh and jarrod do you have something you wanna share with us????
I picked up an Aprilia. Pictures soon
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-20-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
i picked up an aprilia. Pictures soon
sxv?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
I researched all week, and devoted Saturday to seeing and riding bikes. I ended up with an RSV 1000RT. I was set on doing something different this time. I wanted anything but another japanese in-line 4 cilinder, even though there is really nothing faster for their price.

I was set on a Ducati. At the top of my price range were a couple of Ducati 749S bikes. Unfortunately I didn't have enough dough to check out 999s. I rode a 2004 749S, which claims to have 119 hp, but it felt slow, heavy, clunky, and boaring. There was somthing wrong with every bike I looked at. Check engine lights on. Troubles starting. Whatever. But man did they look sexy as hell.

I gave up on Ducatis and starting looking at Triumph Daytona 675s. They were pretty cool, but still didn't have the different look that I was going for.

I took the Aprilia out for about 30 minutes for a test ride. It felt much better than the Duc. Not really apples to apples since the Aprilia is a 1000, but the RSV sounds way better, it's smoother and unclunky. The controls are also more user friendly. Lastly, they have less problems and requires valve adjustments less often (so they say). I also have dealers closer to my home.

My dream is to have a 1098S. Maybe in a few more years.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Here are some other exotics I checked out. The new Aprilia RSV4s and the KTM RC8s are the sickest looking bikes out right now.
Attached Images

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-20-2010, 9:10 PM Reply   
Nice RSV, gotta love the Vtwins, there something special about them, not only the torque but the sounds. At my work there's the road comes off the levee and down the hill with a stop sign at the bottom and we always get sport bike riders coming into town, hearing the vtwins downshifting coming to the stop is something special, better yet when they wind them out taking off.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
Took it out yesterday to start getting comfortable. Wore off most the chicken strip and almost became a hood ornament!

I hate riding the street!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nice job Jarrod!

I almost bought one of those just prior to buying the RC. Those are set up so nice straight off the showroom floor. Full high mount Akro system, -1 / +2 gearing, maybe some woodcraft rear sets and you're done. There are so many cool street bikes out there, but I'm hooked on my VFR .

Last edited by seattle; 06-21-2010 at 7:52 AM.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-21-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
That flat black RC8 looks amazing!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Sweet! Definitely don't want to go throwing that thing down the track. Looks expensive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
same amount I spent on my 600RR. But I'm sure it's more expensive to fix.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-21-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Wow--nice looking piece of machinery!!

Congratulations and I know you will be but be safe on that thing!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
That's what I meant.... All those shiny italian parts. I'm pretty sure those fork legs are gold plated. Ha, ha, ha.

That baby needs some pipes. Nothing sounds better than an uncorked twin.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-22-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
That's what I meant.... All those shiny italian parts. I'm pretty sure those fork legs are gold plated. Ha, ha, ha.

That baby needs some pipes. Nothing sounds better than an uncorked twin.
sounds alot like my old RC51 with two brothers high mounts and a k&n filter with a remapped dynojet power commander. my wife told me it sounded like a freight train blowing by her at 140 plus [oops i mean 55 officer].i'm too old to be going that fast.LOL
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
It sounds pretty uncorked bro. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1NgBhnCg-c

I wonder actually if someone removed the packing or something.

Yep, the Ohlins front end would not be cheap to replace. That's what insurance is for though.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2010, 7:29 AM Reply   
Dude,

Theres no way those pipes have the baffles in. It sounds exactly like the RC did with the gutted Satos.Very nice
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Which makes me wonder also if the bike has been remapped for the increased exhaust flow if that is the case. Aparently the dealer can flip a digital switch (so to speak) that remaps for high flow exhaust.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Sa-weet!! I bet there are some baffles that can be pulled. That thing sounds good. NICE!!

Can't wait to see it up close.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
You should come pick it up and ride it to work tomorrow.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-22-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
You and I both know what a bad idea that is. Then we'd both have pissed off wives. I'm in the clear right now. Ha, ha.

I'm not gonna lie... I'd love to have a 848. I've been eyeing them since they came out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
At least you understand my motivation for offering you the bike! lol

I found an 848 for 9K. That was the best price I could find. I offered the guy 7500 for it. Needless to say he did not accept my offer. 9k isn't a bad deal actually.
Here it is: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1793978412.html All of the others were 5 figures.

You should ask her. My wife was actually cool with it. I asked, she said "sure."
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
Loaded and ready for #3.

Seattle Ducati along with Tacoma BMW will be out there tomorrow. One of the Ducati boys has Gucci patterned race plastics on a beautiful 1098. I'll snap some pics and post up if I get a chance.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2010, 9:18 PM Reply   
check this **** out
www.skipbarber.com

Have fun Cliff. I'm jealous, but I'm already looking at schedules.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-23-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
Have fun Cliff.... Get some more pics for us. I'd rather be doing what you're doing right now. Sitting here at work, looking at Wake World just isn't cuttin' it.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-23-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
J-Rod - Let's hook up for a ride soon. Maybe you could join some of the SCR guys on a ride to the coast or something. Not trying to recruit but a mature group of track guys. I feel really comfortable around them after a year or so.

Dood - I love riding next to another twin. With my Yosh pipes all burned out, the reverberation feels like your heads about to explode! I can't go anywhere without ear plugs. Love it!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Thanks fatsac. We'll see.

I don't like riding on the street much aside from just commuting to work, where everyone is traveling in the same direction. I think my days of hanging corners in the same vicintity as cars are over.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-23-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
Good point but I try not to forget half of riding is about the beautiful country. There's so many amazing roads in this area! I keep pounding various routes and am just blown away every time.
Figure I'll get a salvaged gixxer if I ever go the track only route.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
That sounds cool. I could handle that.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-23-2010, 8:41 PM Reply   
Cliff, hope you were not the one that got airlifted out of there today.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
So I got the low-down on my exhaust. Yesterday I pulled up to Aprilia dealer, walked in side, the snooty manager of the store says, "what are you riding?" I respond, "RSVR." He says, "RSVR with an exhaust leak?" "Uhhh...I guess?"

I thought the bike sounded badass, but he didn't agree. Turns out someone drillholes through the end cap of the mufflers to increase the flow (see this picture). They actually did a clean job. To me, it looked factory, but those little divets are not supposed to have holes.

So now I'm out to find a set of stock cans, or something cheap to replace them. I'd like to experience the bike in factory form I think.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-24-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
Stock will be lame... That's why somebody opened them up. My stock Ducati pipes were way too quiet. It took a lot of time to do it right, but I pulled my can's apart and moved the baffles. I had to cut all the welds, remove the sleeves and then reweld and re-rivet. By the time I was done you couldn't tell, but they sounded great. It needed new jets to run right after that, too.

I'd look for something after market. Did he say anything about mapping?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
remember the EPA gets some say in the tuning of cars and bike. Stock sucks, open it up, remap it and de-restrict it!

On my old 748 I put a very light weight fly wheel in it, +3 on the rear, exhaust, intake work, custom chip, some mod to the throttle bodies, the difference between stock and that bike was night and day. Next step would have been a big bore kit, but then I might have well switched bikes.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
That true, but once the exhaust is restricted, the rest of the bike is tuned to match. If you increase exhaust flow, in a lot of cases, I think you need to increase air and fuel flow to match. This is my first twin, but I'm hearing that Twins rely on back pressure at low RPMs to produce the torque they're known for.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
I had a Buell XB12s too, that bike really woke up with a modified exhaust, race ECN, and increased air flow. It was still a bit of lazy motor, but compared to a stock XB12 bike, nah there really was not much comparison the stock Buells sucked.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-24-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
You defnitely give up some of the bottom end grunt on any motor by opening up intake and exhaust. You effectively lower the port velocity at lower flow (i.e. part throttle, low rpms). The gains on top are totally worth it, though.

You're right in one sense that the bike is turned for the corked up exhaust, but also keep in mind that it's really lean just to comply with EPA reg's. Remapping will net gains with both the stock and the openend up exhaust. On most bikes it also helps with rideability. Low rpm, part throttle snap and smooth running. Not to mention lower operating temperatures when pushed hard.

The gains are huge for sure. My Monster was really lame with the corked up pipes and stock jetting. My first ride with the new pipes, pod filters and re-jet was awesome. Completely turned the bike around. Loss in torque was negligible. Horsepower was very noticable.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
How do you know what to rejet too? Dyno shop
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Update,

I wasn't the Guy who got airlifted out of there yesterday, but I was three bikes back from him when he crashed. He'd been passing in turn seven ( up hill blind) on the inside throughout the day and had been warned not to do it. He took the inside line again he didn't see a slower moving bike just around the blind spot and ass ended it. The other rider didn't have any issues that I'm aware of. Sucked for the rest of us because we lost our last two heats of the day.

http://www.pssrtrack.com/mapsea.html

On a brighter note, I moved up to the novice group this go round and it worked out well. I got smoked the first heat, did better the second and by the third I was holding my own in the middle of a group with around fifteen riders. I could hold my own in the corners but I was no match for the 600s and the 1ks in the straights. My ole F2 pulls about 140mph down the straight and the much newer bikes walk all over me. I had a milestone moment yesterday when finally I started getting my knee down. It scared the crap out of me the first time but by the end of the day I was totally comfortable with doing it. I'll post a pic when the photog gets them up on his site.

Last edited by seattle; 06-24-2010 at 2:04 PM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
NICE!!!

Feels good doesn't it!

I've got Bryan Scott looking for a track bike, so we should be ripping it up together soon.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
oh its on let the search begin........
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-24-2010, 10:13 PM Reply   
looks like the mx circuit is going to take a hit!!! Nice Jrod! I wouldn't trust myself on one of those.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-24-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
nah, this sport is way to expensive, just looking to get on the track a few times for fun but im a moto guy at heart
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
I'm gearing up. Bought a bike stand last night. Frame sliders. Tires soon.

Last night I saw a guy riding a Aprilia Tunuo 1000 with carbon pipes. I flagged him down....turns out he has a set of stock pipes he'll sell me cheap.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
No rejet on a fuelie bike..... Just needs new mapping. Pretty sure your ecu already has the map. Not sure what you have to do to change over to it. Check with the dealer or a race shop.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
Finally got the pic from the photog! I'll be working on cleaning my form up next time out.
Attached Images

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
NICE!! Feels good to get a picture of it eh?

Looks like you can still get your upper body off the bike a little furtther. Your upper body is still centered. They told me to get my face in front of where the mirror would be. Arm laying across the tank.

Look at this guy. Like he's trying to touch his elbow/shoulder to the ground. Look at his upper body. The more you hang off, the less you have to lean the bike.
Attached Images

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
Number four at PIR was awesome! Temps were crazy 100 degree air, 145 degree track! I got my wright knee down consistently this go round and my body position is getting better now. Lot's of bikes went down yesterday, seven red flags, two guys taken to the hospital.

Coolest thing I've seen at a track yet. The MOTO Czysz electric. It sounded just like George Jetson's hover car. Their testing it working on getting it ready for the next Isle of Man.
Attached Images

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-13-2010, 4:38 AM Reply   
Anybody looking for a CBR1000RR? Mine is for sale, 3200 miles, all stock, asking $6,500 or best offer.....

for all you guys looking at ducati's, don't forget to look into service before you buy. I've had a couple 748S's a few years ago, one that was track'd. I spent at least $1,500 every 3,000 miles because I couldn't work on it myself. Everytime it went in, it got a new timing belt, new valves, and other stuff. It had the FBF855 big bore kit and ran like hell, but I just couldn't afford it anymore. The closest dealer was also 2 hours away.