Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-08-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
I keep my boat on a lift. The lift has 2 aluminum bars running the length of the boat and 2 others forming an H. Anyways the tide was lower than its ever been and my prop actually hit one of the bars. I had just put it in gear so it hit really slow but made a real loud noise. I took the boat out and whenever i would put it in gear it would make a weird noise kind of a grinding noise plus the transmission usually makes a slight buzzing noise and now its louder. My prop is bent but my shaft seems fine. Could something be wrong with the transmission?}
Old     (bigkitch)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-08-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Has your tranny been making the buzzing noise since you bought it?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
I would say you bent the strut a little.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-08-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
I have hit my prop on my lift at idle and the prop was the only damage. It is possible but unlikely that damage would be transmitted through the shaft strut or transmission due to an idle strike. Have you put a straight prop on yet? Bent props do make noise and vibrations in the boat that are not pleasant to hear. Now if you ride with a bent prop at usual speeds and loads damage further up the drive train is possible.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
I did the same thing and the strut was a little off. It sounded like a a mild scraping or grinding. At idle speeds or just bumping it in and out of gear wouldnt make noise with a bent prop. There is a plastic bushing in your strut see if it looks even on both sides of the shaft. The torque of the prop when hitting something solid can just slightly shift the strut.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-08-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
Ya it sounds like a very mild grinding. Billy, I'm guessing it was just your strut that bent and not the actual shaft. Is that an easy/cheap fix? My shaft couldn't possibly be bent could it?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
No you prolly just mis aligned the strut and I seriously doubt you bent the shaft. Like I said above look at where the shaft goes through the strut and see if the white bushing is thinner on one side over the other, even just a very little. Unfortunately you have to get a new strut cuz you cant just replace the bushing anymore. Its not to, to pricey, but definately get it fixed before you do some REAL damage. I would call Mike @ JR Watersports down in your neck of the woods.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-08-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
Nibral or SS prop?

I think I'd check the coupler too. Might just have knocked it a bit out of wack & can be realigned.