Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-27-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
I just recieved my new reigstration stickers for my boat and Im not sure I can get the old numbers off my boat. ANyone have any suggestions what to you to help get the old stickers off without damaging or scratching the Hull?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-27-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
Heat is your friend. Hair dryer is ok, hot gun is better. Once you have peeled the vinyl you can use goo-gone to get rid of any remaining sticky stuff. Then hit it witha light polish and wax. If the area around the stickers has faded you might want to give it a light wet sand.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-27-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
Might want to wait to wax till after you apply the new stickers, otherwise you'll have to clean the wax back off for proper adhesion of the new stickers...
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-27-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
Ok so a hot gun isnt going to mess with the fiberglass?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-27-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
You can use a razor blade at the right angle, and it will not cut into your gelcoat at all. I razored off all my old stickers and letters with 0 issues.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-27-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
A heat gun will melt and wrinkle the stickers before it damages the gel. That's too hot anyway for removing the sticker. Some have two settings, use the cooler and move it across the number you're taking off. Hair dryer on high temp and slower fan. The razor blade is nice but get a good holder/scraper for the blade and use brand new blades.
Get the sticker hot but turn off the heat gun before you start to lift it. It just frazzles the plastic if it's in the air and you'll have nothing to pull on.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-28-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
I took the stickers off of my boat and all I did was carefully get one edge of the vinyl peeled back and then I pulled very slowly so it didn't tear. My gelcoat around the stickers was faded, so I lightly wet sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper and then 1500. The washed and waxed.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-28-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ok sounds good thanks for the help