Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-07-2006, 1:29 AM Reply   
i have so much trouble riding switch that i usually dont even try riding that way because it feels like i cant turn my body enuff to ride that way!!!! i can do butterslides and 180 on the wake but as soon as i get riding goofy i have to switch back to my regular stance!!!! can ne 1 help!!!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-07-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
i havent done it that much but all i have been told is it takes practice. it will feel awkward as hell but just stick with it. try staying behind the boat and doing small cuts back and worth between the wake. maybe try it on a choppy day on the way back to the dock. good luck. i have pretty much given up. i dont ride enough to waste my time on goofy stuff. i know that will upset a few purists
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-07-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Breakdown how you ride regular... take special notice to which foot you keep your weight on, how you hold the handle, how you bend your knees. Then try and mock everything you do regular, but backwards. Riding switch comes with time and practice, if you keep practicing it, it will feel a whole lot better really soon.
Old    stoked27            07-21-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
I felt the exact same way and I just found something out totally insane. I ride regular, and the outside part of my left shin was getting bruised from landing in the flats hard; I opened up my left boot's stance by one notch (it fixedd the bruising right away) and put on smaller fins. I can ride switch now. It's the wierdest thing.

I'd recommend experimenting with the fins and your stance.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-22-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
Try this for the next couple of weeks, every time you ride:

Get up switch, stay in the middle of the wakes and cruise around for a little while, then switch back to regular and go on with your run. Do this everytime you get up and you will start to feel more and more comfortable with switch riding and eventually be able to go outside the wakes and so on...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Spend as much time as you can just riding switch. I am not great at it, but noticed that the more I do it, the more comfortable I get. The Book DVD has a great section under the "Fundementals" section. I think it is called either 3 or 4 minute drills. Watch it and give it a try. It really is a great drill, and would help you switch riding a bunch. Just keep at it.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-25-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Definitely spend more time doing it. I made a concious effort early this year to ride switch more and am now working on consistent TS W2W after just mastering HS W2W w/grab. I started by riding my set then riding switch when I started to get tired. I now ride both throughout my sets.

I worked on it in secret with the wife and family in the boat. The NWHC crew were amazed 2 weeks ago when I pulled out the HS grab and then pulled a TS W2W. Soon I'll be working on 180s. I think feeling soild landing switch will give me better progression with new tricks. Stick with it!!!!
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-25-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
I learned to ride switch exactly like Andrea said. In addition, if you can't ride switch at your normal speed, slow down the boat till you get more comfortable.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-25-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
Riding switch is the only thing that I'm actually halfway good at, but that's because I was taught to ride regular when I'm really goofy. But every time I go out, I still make a point of riding switch part of the time so I stay comfortable with it. It might also help to drop your back hand so you can use it to help you balance some until you get the hang of it.