Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-08-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Yesterday I went to my local Malibu dealer to get a few things and there in the showroom was a 2003 LSV with major damage to the bottom, wedge down and they went on the rocks! wedge, prop,strut,shaft,tracking fins ruined and chips and scratches from bow to transom! It hurt to look at! I asked the counterperson what happened and she said they have 4 like it in the shop all from lake powell. I am leaving next week for Powell myself, anyone have any current info?
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
Although I havent been to Powell this year, I find it fairly easy there to see the the rocks because the water is so clear. I think many of the people with damage are returning to spots that used to be clear and now are not. I saw evidence of this last year in Gun-Slot Canyon where you can see hundreds of prop marks on the sand stone. Obviously people are returning from previous years and going through there at speed with their friends, using the famous red neck saying "WATCH THIS"!! Then their friends reply "YOUR DOIN IT" just befor they hit the rocks.
Old    dmpappy            08-08-2003, 2:06 PM Reply   
Was at Powell in July. We had NO problems due to the low water. Just make sure you keep you eyes on the water for rocks.

We saw several rock areas just inches below the surface. Before you ride somewhere, make sure and take a cruise up and down the line with your attention focused on looking for obstructions.

Have a great time.

Dave.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-08-2003, 2:46 PM Reply   
I was at Powell 2 weeks ago. It is a bit sketchy this year, and I've been there for the last 15 years. Every year at Powell you have to scope all the canyons and coves before you race through them, however, this year you have to be really careful near the main channel too. Stay away from the west side of the channel just south of Dangling Rope. Also, West Canyon is a perennial boat killer. A buddy was driving my dad's 1990 Sport Nautique in the channel this year near Dangling Rope, much closer to the Channel Buoy than the shore, and he hit an outcropping 100 yards off shore at 30+ mph. Every one in the boat (all Powell veterans) was totally surprised after they peeled themselves off the windshield and realized what happened. The crash took off all 3 fins, bent the shaft and strut, shredded the prop and took the rudder clean off. The next day, I was cruising down the channel to get the Sport Nautique, and I strayed just a bit from the channell buoy line in one spot and watched my depth guage go from 220' to 6' in about 10 yards. I was hundreds of yards off shore. Just be careful and stay between channel buoys and you should be fine. I did not notice any problems in the Channel between Wawheap and Padre Bay, but Padre Bay to Dangling Rope was pretty sketchy.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-11-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
I second Matt's take on things.

I have been to Lake Powell 9 different years, with 9 different water levels. I have pictures of our boat at the same spot, and you can clearly see that the water level is ~30 feet different!

That Lake is so friggin deep that water level doesn't matter. What is "beach" on one year is a hazard at another, and then too deep to anchor another year. When you drive around that lake, look at the rocks you can see, and think how another 10 feet of water would change things.

You have to be careful on that lake, more so than any other place I have been. You can be in 200 feet of water and have a pillar of rock come up to the surface. And it is all prop eating rock, not forgiving sand or mud.

The saving grace is that the water is pretty clear so you can take a slow cruise through your intended ski area and scope out the danger spots.
Old    adkelley            08-11-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
I just got back from my second trip this year. Just be really careful and scout out every spot before you tow. I try to follow other boats lines when going places also. Being careful is the key.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-14-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies all. we are packing this weekend and will be going to the San Juan for the 3rd. time in a row. Ya the clear water makes it easy to see the shallow spots for sure as long as it's calm out.
Old    exdeckboater2            08-15-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
Not everyone watches what they are doing or heads the yelling and screaming of people trying to warn them of impending disaster. These folks found the big rock near our houseboat when we were there in June.

Sea Ray

They finally got it pushed off the rock and limped back up the lake!!